Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Antone else refused entry to teh Sportsman on Saturday

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The last time I went in there, there was a sign saying bottled beer only. So I bought 4 bottles which cost me £8. Then I noticed everybody else was drinking draught. When I asked about it, they said they'd changed their mind. Grr!

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
ladies mile or long man are a better option,enough scarfers in to have a chat with and sky footie on tap,ladies mile also does a decent harveys and the barman is 9foot 6 tall and looks handy if swindon's mob turn up

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What do you expect from a chain pub that is next to a football ground?

A michelin star or two?

A member of bar staff for EACH customer?

Beautifully looked after keg beer and an award-winning array of other beers, ciders and spirits?

No. Clearly not.

There is no excuse for poor service but USUALLY on matchdays there are loads of staff. When the pub gets RAMMED an hour before kick-off, it's no wonder you have to queue for a bit.

To be honest Hiney, I do not expect to e turned away from a pub, supposedly catering for a "football crowd" witrh over an hour before kick off, because they only have 3 bar staff on duty!

The thing about the Sportsman is its convenient, being two minutes away from the ground. Its large enough that you can chat with your mates etc, BUT the downside being that the service is crap and so is the food.

I think I may try somewhere else in future.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The Rope Walk outside the Galpharm Stadium, Hudderfield had a great set up inside. The attendance was 6004 for the game, we arrived an hour before kick off, and it was quite busy inside.

There area around the bar was sectioned off with the velvet ropes, and you had to queue down the middle of the bar, and only go to the bar when it was your turn to order a drink.

There were only 4 people serving behind the bar, but the system worked great, and you were actually able to carry your drinks away from the bar without being bumped by the scramble of the next person wanting a drink.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The Rope Walk outside the Galpharm Stadium, Hudderfield had a great set up inside. The attendance was 6004 for the game, we arrived an hour before kick off, and it was quite busy inside.

There area around the bar was sectioned off with the velvet ropes, and you had to queue down the middle of the bar, and only go to the bar when it was your turn to order a drink.

There were only 4 people serving behind the bar, but the system worked great, and you were actually able to carry your drinks away from the bar without being bumped by the scramble of the next person wanting a drink.

That system worked really well at the Social Club next to Doncaster's (old) ground.

I suppose the design of The Sportsman doesn't really lend itself to that kind of set-up but they need to do something. I don't have a problem, mainly because I tend to get there early.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Its only been a problem recently though. It was only a few months back that you could roll in there at 2.40, get served in 10 mins(if you had a bit of bar presence), neck a pint and still be in your seat for 2.58.
I got turned away a few weeks ago at 2.35 despite the fact that I was supposed to meet people in there, so for me thats it. And now, to find that its not open after the game......Shitamundo
Still as Wigman says, onlyh 2 more years and we can descend on the Swan!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Its only been a problem recently though.

I have only been in the Sportsman a handful of times, specifically to meet people, as I go elsewhere and I've had to queue to get in, being allowed only on a basis of people out - people in.
I haven't been in there for at least 2 years so it isn't a recent problem.

To be honest Hiney, I do not expect to e turned away from a pub, supposedly catering for a "football crowd" witrh over an hour before kick off, because they only have 3 bar staff on duty!

The thing about the Sportsman is its convenient, being two minutes away from the ground. Its large enough that you can chat with your mates etc, BUT the downside being that the service is crap and so is the food.

I think I may try somewhere else in future.
Dave, I don't think you were turned away because they only had 3 bar staff on, you were turned away because the place was full. The door staff were keeping tabs on numbers and letting people in on a one in one out basis. Yes, it would have taken an age to get served as they had so few staff on, but they would still have let you in, if there had been room.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dave, I don't think you were turned away because they only had 3 bar staff on, you were turned away because the place was full. The door staff were keeping tabs on numbers and letting people in on a one in one out basis. Yes, it would have taken an age to get served as they had so few staff on, but they would still have let you in, if there had been room.

the bouncer on the door definately said that there were only three bar staff on and there was ahell of a queue to get served. I said that was ok I wouldn't try to get one and I was meeting someone inside anyway and he basically said tough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only 3 staff on? Maybe the game caught them by surprise?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's a shit pub with shit staff. The last time I went in there pre match the retard behind the bar was only serving people right by the till which meant anyone standing anywhere else along the bar had feck all chance of a pint. When I pointed this out to him all I got as a reply was "Well stand by the till then". There's an art to bartending and they do not have it.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here