Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Antone else refused entry to teh Sportsman on Saturday

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I went in there to meet Harty before the match, and was amazed to see only three people serving, and they weren't the fastest either! What also amazed me was a young lady round the side asking anyone if they wanted to order food (no-one was) - so I asked her if she'd be kind enough to serve me a drink. "No, I'm just taking food orders" she said. Thinking this was a bit crazy as she'd stood chewing her nails for ten minutes, I asked if I ordered food, could she also do my drinks order? "No, I only take food orders" she replied. And returned to the important job of nibbling her nails. Now call me mad, but wouldn't the easiest thing have been to have one person just pulling pint after pint of lager and putting them on the bar, the second opening bottles of coke and orange and putting straws in them, and the third taking the money?
I know it might not have been your first choice of lager, but a choice between NO drink or a pint - wouldn't it have made sense? Or am I being too rational again this morning? Craaaaaazy people!

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
And...... gawd, you can tell I'm on a roll this morning........ in situations like that, I've stood in behind the bar in various places. They must have people who'd help out in super busy times. Just before it closed in it's latest guise, I jumped behind the bar at cloud nine, newhaven on a really busy presentation night. Or whatever it's called now (Liberty's? urgh..... something it was called anyway!)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The Sportsman's alright.

What do you expect from a Pub that's RIGHT NEXT to a football ground?

Yes it gets busy and they could sometimes do with a few more staff but what's the problem? It's hardly a surprise that it's going to RAMMED one hour before kick-off.

And they serve Aspalls cider

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Sportsman's alright.

Yes it gets busy and they could sometimes do with a few more staff but what's the problem? It's hardly a surprise that it's going to RAMMED one hour before kick-off.

........Germany doesnt seem to have this problem. Pubs next to grounds, bars inside grounds always seem to have ample staff and a very quick turnover of punters and places were always rammed. Why cant one expect this to be the same in other countries?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
........Germany doesnt seem to have this problem. Pubs next to grounds, bars inside grounds always seem to have ample staff and a very quick turnover of punters and places were always rammed. Why cant one expect this to be the same in other countries?

'cos this is England where we cannot manage a p up in a brewery. Country has gone to the dogs I tell thee.

muswellgull

Mar 2, 2007
Muswell Hill, London
They Did You A Favour

As I`ve previously posted, the food, which used to be at least vaguely acceptable, has become truly dreadful. In fact, it`s even worse than the service. You can tell whoever runs the place doesn`t really care, an attitude that is reflected by the staff in general, and the "chefs" in particular.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hate the place, no atmosphere or anything.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Go to the Star or Welly,m good Albion pubs, then the 27a at 2.25 which get's you to the stadium just in time for the match.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Sportsman's alright.

Sadly Hiney you have failed to spot the fatal flaw in the Sportsman's business model. Hoorah and all that if it serves Aspalls cider - whatever THAT is - but if you need to queue for about half an hour for your pint while your stress levels shoot through the ceiling, then you're basically having a rubbish pre-match experience.

To put it bluntly:

ANYBODY WHO PUTS UP WITH THE SERVICE IN THE SPORTSMAN IS A PEASANT WHO GETS EXACTLY THE SHIT LEVEL OF SERVICE THEY DESERVE. NO EXCUSES. NO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES.

Fact.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Sadly Hiney you have failed to spot the fatal flaw in the Sportsman's business model. Hoorah and all that if it serves Aspalls cider - whatever THAT is - but if you need to queue for about half an hour for your pint while your stress levels shoot through the ceiling, then you're basically having a rubbish pre-match experience.

To put it bluntly:

ANYBODY WHO PUTS UP WITH THE SERVICE IN THE SPORTSMAN IS A PEASANT WHO GETS EXACTLY THE SHIT LEVEL OF SERVICE THEY DESERVE. NO EXCUSES. NO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES.

Fact.

Right - OK then.

I 'put up with it' because it's next to the ground, I usually get there early enough to get served and it's convenient for when I want to walk round to my seat.

I don't have a problem - sorry.

Kind regards

A Peasant

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Right - OK then.

I 'put up with it' because it's next to the ground, I usually get there early enough to get served and it's convenient for when I want to walk round to my seat.

I don't have a problem - sorry.

Kind regards

A Peasant

So im gonna be having a drink with "A Peasant" in Leeds next week then ? :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Its a pub which - next door to a football club - is guaranteed big business before a game. So, cynically, they will dish up crap service, crap beer and crap food knowing that it won't make any diffeernce; its location will still guarantee they rake in the cash! Why break a sweat if you don't need to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its a pub which - next door to a football club - is guaranteed big business before a game. So, cynically, they will dish up crap service, crap beer and crap food knowing that it won't make any diffeernce; its location will still guarantee they rake in the cash! Why break a sweat if you don't need to.

Pride?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
What do you expect from a chain pub that is next to a football ground?

A michelin star or two?

A member of bar staff for EACH customer?

Beautifully looked after keg beer and an award-winning array of other beers, ciders and spirits?

No. Clearly not.

There is no excuse for poor service but USUALLY on matchdays there are loads of staff. When the pub gets RAMMED an hour before kick-off, it's no wonder you have to queue for a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here