Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti Steve Coppell

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Head and shoulders above any manager we have had in the past (in my era, from '90). Turned around a team of down and outs, that looked relegated before the end of October.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
superb manager, I'm pretty sure if you asked the players (most) would say he is one of the best managers to play for, the general preparation that he goes into for every game is immense.

Granted we got relegated but he brought in some quality players and we would have gone straight back up again if Reading had not come in for him and looking at the current situation can't really blame him for going in the end.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I've searched the latest dictionary and it gives the definition of Badger as, " . . . sturdy carnivorous burrowing mammal with strong claws widely distributed in the northern hemisphere" This surprised me as comments from a habitual poster on this thread made me think that the definition should have read, . . . obscene term for female genital"

The constant harping and pure vitriol expressed on this thread is based upon sheer ignorance of probably the greatest manager the Albion have ever had. He is also a lovely humble man.

Naylor says that Dick Knight failed when he didn't bring Steve to Brighton earlier. In fact Steve would have been here much earlier if he had had his way. Greg Stanley was in a quandary and he didn't know who to appoint as manager when he had a short list of two. The only reason he chose Liam Brady over Steve Coppell was because Liam called our then chairman at his home. The telephone number was given to Brady by Gerry Ryan.

The way Steve left Brighton was accurately related by Yorkie . What she didn't say was how emotional Coppell was because he was leaving the Albion. I witnessed that. You may have expected pure joy and elation from a man who had just committed himself to a club with a brand new stadium and who were going to virtually double his salary. The opposite was true. He was deflated.

Others have spoken of how he has supported Brighton publicly since he left us. I can reveal one of the many things that he has done behind the scenes. When we were losing to Bournemouth, Reading were beating West Ham who happened to be our next opponents. Within forty-eight hours Dean Wilkins had the tape of the Reading v West Ham game. He also had the full stats along with Coppell's own report of each Hammers player's strengths, weaknesses and traits. These were delivered by courier from Coppell's home and paid for by him.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
RM-Taylor said:
Maybe we should change the Stevie Coppell to Peter Taylor's got VD ???

Was thinking that myself. PT left us in the lurch, and had no passion for the club. Or maybe change the words to Simon Jordan, instead. Now HE definitely DOES have the clap.

Just spoken to a mate of mine who's a sports PR and he said that Coppell's given us some cash for Falmer. No amount was mentioned, or when it was given, but the man has done this club proud.

:clap:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
steve20coppell0iu8.jpg

:bowdown:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:
Here it is. As for the VD song, when he was at the first Fans Forum he actually asked us to continue singing it because it was a backhanded compliment. It shows he could take a joke.
I also believe he was reluctant to leave but I have been told that DK persuaded him the compensation money from Reading would benefit the club.

That is pretty much how I understood his departure. Essentially we needed the compensation money more than the manager. Shame as he is probably the best manager I have seen down here. No blank canvas like Adams, or a team already on a high like Taylor. Instead he had a team that had lost its last 10 league games and very nearly kept us up. When he left we were top of Division 2, a couple of points clear with a game in hand. We finished that season 4th.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great manager, his overall record cannot be disputed. Total respect from me. Shame DK didn't see the quality he already had at this club and make an effort to keep him. One of DK's big ricketts but he hasn't had too many in fairness.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am sorry, but that song is a legend and has been sung at Stevie Coppel longer than some on here have been born.

Even though we actually secretly like him, the song must never be allowed to die.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
this is the only song i don't sing and won't do until it's changed to simon jordan or taylor

i like coppell he did a good job for us,he's a decent bloke and i will never sing a song like that about a decent bloke

but taylor is a different matter

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
gollum said:
Anybody out there fed up with the anti Steve Coppell chants? He took us from being virtual certainties for relegation to a chance of staying up on the final day of the season. When he left us, he left us top of the Third Division with a team good enough to go on and win promotion. Despite leaving the club, he still actively supports the club in it's quest for Falmer, and has joined the pro Falmer marches. So why do people still hate him? Is it because of his past at Palace, or for going to Reading. If you were given the opportunity to further your career, would you have done the same?
The guy is one of the best and most likeable managers in the game. The guy has ambition and you cannot knock that. If we had the stadium or were likely to get it, he could still be with us. A sad loss !!. Anyway top bloke.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
lovely bloke - my mate's girlfriend works with his wife and Steve sent a personal Christmas card to another friend of theirs... he also does a lot of good work for charity but doesn't like to talk about it...

fair enough to let him off WHILE he was doing a decent job for us (which he did for a bit) but having moved on he is definitely re-established as VD-ridden Palace scum - no better than Taylor, Cannon, Harkouk, Hilaire, Hughton, etc, etc

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Those Mcgoo fans are perfectly happy that he called withdean a hole, that he couldnt atract a decent player to sign for us, critized the fans...etc.
Steve Coppell was one of the best, if not THE best managerial appointments this club has made. Steve was able to attract players of quality, Steve Sidwell, Morgan, Ingarmarsson, etc, and never once complained about the club because he knew what the conditions were like when he took it.
Peter Taylor was another good appointment if you look back at it. He was the England manager 1 yr prior to taking the albion job. Albeit the team played some terrible stuff, he got the job done. Look at what he achieved with Hull.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great manager and very boring chant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here