Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dillian Whyte on BBC Radio 5 Live

"Joshua has lost all his aggression and killer instincts. The ability is still there, the boxing is still there – he looks the part.
But every time Franklin shaped up like he was going to hit him, he hesitated. I’ve never seen him like that, he’s a bit shell-shocked.
The last few rounds Joshua was very hesitant.
Signs of fighter who doesn’t want to do it anymore. If he doesn’t want to do it anymore, I think he should stop."

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As Marvin Hagler once said : "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you're sleeping in silk pyjamas."
Joshua would do the roadwork - he enjoys it -,but he doesn’t want to put himself in harm’s way.
His brain seems scrambled. He should reflect on whether he really wants to be fighting.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
As Marvin Hagler once said : "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you're sleeping in silk pyjamas."
Joshua would do the roadwork - he enjoys it -,but he doesn’t want to put himself in harm’s way.
His brain seems scrambled. He should reflect on whether he really wants to be fighting.
He lost his spirit after Ruiz 1. I doubt we ever see a pre Ruiz AJ again.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
What on earth was AJ doing after the final bell? Graceless. It was a very poor performance and I think deep down he knows he's never going to achieve greatness again and is struggling with it mentally. If I was Fury I'd be all over that fight as hoestly think AJ would just treat it like a final payday.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
What on earth was AJ doing after the final bell? Graceless. It was a very poor performance and I think deep down he knows he's never going to achieve greatness again and is struggling with it mentally. If I was Fury I'd be all over that fight as hoestly think AJ would just treat it like a final payday.
Any elite level fighter would be banging at the door to try get the AJ payday.

Derrick James said he wants AJ to have two more fights before going in with elite level fighters, which would be a wise move

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As a massive AJ fan that was a fairly average workmanlike performance.

I would happily see him retire now, he's on the off all time great British heavyweights and has done amazing things for the sport in this country. His reputation shouldn't be tarnished and he should be remembered for the epic wins over the likes of Klitschko in front of some of the biggest audiences boxing has ever seen.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I feel a tinge of sadness after that.
It seems like he’s lost a lot of confidence since Ruiz 1.

Dillian beats him, as does Fury at this stage.
Needs another 2 Franklin-level fights with the new trainer and get some confidence together.
It makes me sad too.

I loved the early gun slinging Joshua, he was really exciting to watch. I was even down with his attempts to become a better boxer but it seems like the Ruiz loss has left him in a kind of limbo.

It showed that his chin was not the best, that he could be knocked silly which is very risky for someone who likes to trade but he's not a good enough boxer to slick his way through a fight. So now he seems scared of letting go but is unable to outbox the best.

At this point I agree with you - anyone half decent beats him. His aura of power and invincibility are gone. He won't unleash and he won't outbox you.

It's pretty sad as he risks that being his legacy rather than all the positive stuff - the effect he had on boxing as a sport, selling out stadiums multiple times in a row, genuinely trying to unify the division, the olympic gold. There's so much that he should be proud of and celebrated for but memories are short and this shadow of AJ could be what history remembers.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I feel a tinge of sadness after that.
It seems like he’s lost a lot of confidence since Ruiz 1.

Dillian beats him, as does Fury at this stage.
Needs another 2 Franklin-level fights with the new trainer and get some confidence together.
Don't think he needs any such thing. I think Whyte has called it exactly right.

Such a shame that Wilder dodged him years ago (although Wilder's choice of an 'easier' opponent didn't exactly turn out well for Wilder either!)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Steve Bunce ringside said that AJ made a gesture in good spirit about holding to Franklin who took it as such and actually smiled and embraced AJ, but it was someone in Franklin's corner who took it as offense and jumped up on the apron and it kicked off - according to Bunce it was all misunderstandings.

It doesn't appear that way from the footage above, but that's how Bunce saw it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Steve Bunce ringside said that AJ made a gesture in good spirit about holding to Franklin who took it as such and actually smiled and embraced AJ, but it was someone in Franklin's corner who took it as offense and jumped up on the apron and it kicked off - according to Bunce it was all misunderstandings.

It doesn't appear that way from the footage above, but that's how Bunce saw it.
Bunce also stepped in between an argument between Bellew and one Franklin's corner men before it kicked off.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anthony Joshua v Dyliian Whyte II announced this afternoon. This is going to be EPIC. :O

Last time they met AJ came through superbly in 7 and I back him to do the same again this time. 24,000 in the O2 will be buzzing plus the many millions watching on PPV.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Anthony Joshua v Dyliian Whyte II announced this afternoon. This is going to be EPIC. :O

Last time they met AJ came through superbly in 7 and I back him to do the same again this time. 24,000 in the O2 will be buzzing plus the many millions watching on PPV.
Loser joins the WWE?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Last time they met AJ came through superbly in 7 and I back him to do the same again this time. 24,000 in the O2 will be buzzing plus the many millions watching on a Free Stream.
EFA

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Getting DAZN PPV on the Sky Platform obviously helps, but do you think all the free stream mullarkey eats into what Hearn can ultimately pay either fighter?

When Bruno fought Tyson the second time in 1996, it was a lot simpler back then, wasn’t it something like £14.95 to buy it on Sky, and £4 of that eventually went to the fighters on a 3/1split in Bruno’s favour as he was the Champion?

But on the US PPV money Tyson apparently got the bigger share?

No illegal streams back then so if you wanted it you had to pay for it, full stop.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Getting DAZN PPV on the Sky Platform obviously helps, but do you think all the free stream mullarkey eats into what Hearn can ultimately pay either fighter?

When Bruno fought Tyson the second time in 1996, it was a lot simpler back then, wasn’t it something like £14.95 to buy it on Sky, and £4 of that eventually went to the fighters on a 3/1split in Bruno’s favour as he was the Champion?

But on the US PPV money Tyson apparently got the bigger share?

No illegal streams back then so if you wanted it you had to pay for it, full stop.
It's a strange one isn't it, those who are honest enough to pay probably get stung with higher prices to compensate for all the free streamers which probably then drives more to search for free streams. There will be huge interest in this, AJ is still the most popular fighter in the country, wonder what they will charge? Going rate seems to be £29.95, wonder if they will up this to £34.95?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn’t pay £30 to watch that fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here