Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
If Joshua loses that one, I feel his career will really go downhill. May be extreme to some, but just my opinion. I think Usyk will get him again.

As an American, Wilder was our guy for awhile, but I think he is starting to wind down a bit also.

Favorite fighters of all time in general are PacMan and Tommy Morrison.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope Joshua beats Usyk. The fight I really want to see is Joshua vs. Wilder, the fight Wilder dodged by taking on what he thought would be the safer and easier way to secure his legacy (without riskng the unification of the heavyweight titles) by fighting some dude from England with the gall to call himself Tyson........

........... whoops!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Joshua loses that one, I feel his career will really go downhill. May be extreme to some, but just my opinion. I think Usyk will get him again.

As an American, Wilder was our guy for awhile, but I think he is starting to wind down a bit also.

For me, Ali (especially the pre-Vietnam version) and Lennox Lewis. Including all weight divisions, Sugar Ray Leonard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whisper it quietly, it is possible to like both Fury and Joshua.

I do.

Britain 2022 ….. everything’s laughably binary opinions, if you don’t like, you must despise.

This. Fury is an unbelievable natural talent and entertainer but, at the end of the day has some pretty dodgy views, represents the people who steal from good businesses, “swap” your dog and run massive gangland drug businesses and I personally find deeply unpleasant.

AJ is with a shit promoter and fighting out of Saudi, but that aside is the one that’s put in the work and got a better career out of average talent through hard work.

In the ring I want both to do well and both have ways of attracting support. Out of it both are flawed, but no more than any other fighter or promoter.

It’s still run by gangsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This. Fury is an unbelievable natural talent and entertainer but, at the end of the day has some pretty dodgy views, represents the people who steal from good businesses, “swap” your dog and run massive gangland drug businesses and I personally find deeply unpleasant.

AJ is with a shit promoter and fighting out of Saudi, but that aside is the one that’s put in the work and got a better career out of average talent through hard work.

In the ring I want both to do well and both have ways of attracting support. Out of it both are flawed, but no more than any other fighter or promoter.

It’s still run by gangsters.

You say he's with a shit promotor but I think a lot of Joshuas success has been because of Matchroom. Apart from taking the Ruiz fight at short notice the rest of his career has been managed very well. He's ended up making more money than Tyson Fury, got massive sponsorship deals with the likes of Under Armour and had multiple stadium fights. The Saudi thing has got him a lot of criticism but if you are a boxer your number one motivation is to maximise your earnings potential. Matchroom are just doing their job in getting their fighter the biggest opportunity to make the most amount of money and you cant really blame AJ for taking it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You say he's with a shit promotor but I think a lot of Joshuas success has been because of Matchroom. Apart from taking the Ruiz fight at short notice the rest of his career has been managed very well. He's ended up making more money than Tyson Fury, got massive sponsorship deals with the likes of Under Armour and had multiple stadium fights. The Saudi thing has got him a lot of criticism but if you are a boxer your number one motivation is to maximise your earnings potential. Matchroom are just doing their job in getting their fighter the biggest opportunity to make the most amount of money and you cant really blame AJ for taking it.

Yes, probably wrong phrase. He’s with a promoter that I don’t personally like, who I think puts on poor undercards, but my point was he’s done better with his talent than Fury has with his.

I do think Wilder has dodged AJ and not the other way round

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For me, Ali (especially the pre-Vietnam version) and Lennox Lewis. Including all weight divisions, Sugar Ray Leonard.

There's an argument that if Ali hadn't had the prime of career curtailed, both Frazier and Foreman would have been contenders/opponents, he would have been Champion for a decade and then retired with his health in a far better place.

I read somewhere before the Holmes fight, he had a medical, part of which was his outstretched arm then having to touch his nose, he did 2 out of 5 but they still passed him fit to fight.......

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's an argument that if Ali hadn't had the prime of career curtailed, both Frazier and Foreman would have been contenders/opponents, he would have been Champion for a decade and then retired with his health in a far better place.

I read somewhere before the Holmes fight, he had a medical, part of which was his outstretched arm then having to touch his nose, he did 2 out of 5 but they still passed him fit to fight.......

Also swerving the more youthful brutality of Shavers and Norton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you being serious ? Genuine question.

I was following up on the story [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] mentioned that Ali (without the Vietnam ostracization) would've in effect fought until early 74, then retired.

In which case he would've missed circa 100 rounds against Holmes, Norton 3, Shavers, L.Spinks x 2, Lyle, with prime Ali settling the Frazier thing earlier.

The Greatest took a huge number of shots in those fights.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Nothing against Usyk but I hope AJ knocks him out spectacularly. Then we can finally get Joshua v Fury.

Wilder can **** right off. That one trick pony delusional bell end has held the division up for way too long.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021

I think you’d be surprised. If AJ loses I think it would only take 3 middle of the road fights and a war of words between AJ and Fury and it could sell out Wembley easily. Many fights are sold on what could happen rather than what will happen ie. Lewis vs Tyson.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Ken and Sarah Burns 8 part documentary 'Muhammad Ali' is on iPlayer is a brilliant watch.

I also caught the whole of a remastering of the Cleveland Williams v Ali fight on youtube, which Ali himself called his finest technical fight and legendary broadcaster Howard Cosell said "the greatest Ali ever was as a fighter was against Williams".

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think you’d be surprised. If AJ loses I think it would only take 3 middle of the road fights and a war of words between AJ and Fury and it could sell out Wembley easily. Many fights are sold on what could happen rather than what will happen ie. Lewis vs Tyson.

the state of England at the moment you'd fill wemberlee in a granny shagging comp between julian clary and Philip schofield ....daft little island you are....:rolleyes:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I watched the Leonard v Hagler fight again a few weeks ago. You just don't get scraps of that quality these days.

I'm far from convinced that AJ can regain the titles but I really hope he does. If AJ wins, no hiding place for Fury then (or has Fury really retired just in case AJ wins?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here