Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another striker we couldn't get.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Lammy said:
I'm sorry but we must have a fair bit of cash for players buy now. Since selling Zamora we've seen precious little invested back into the playing side.

We've sold

Zamora
Harding
Currie
Cullip
Knight
Virgo

That probably about £5m worth.

Not to mention

Playoff money
Spurs away money
New home strip money
Coca Cola money

probably worth about £2.5m

That's £7.5m

I no longer accept the excuse that Falmer is eating all our profits. The Judicial Review is not costing the club much money in terms of real outlay. Yes it is delaying us getting to a more profitable situation but it is no longer COSTING us much. Also let's take into account the wages we're saving. We're currently playing with a fair number of youth team players. I can't imagine they're on much. So we have this money for say, taking over contracts.

It's all bullshit and I have to say that not only have I lost faith in McGhee I'm starting to lose faith in Knight too!! I never thought I'd say that either!

There obviously is a little money to sign a striker but it must be a pretty paultry amount if we can't even afford to take over Noel William's contract. The basic fact is Lammy we're absolutely skint mate and can't afford to pay the wages of an average lower Championship side. Consider this: The first team paid £100 out of their own pockets so the kids could fly to the Newcastle game and stay in a hotel. That's how broke we are. We have no money.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
It has been mentioned several times on this board that Leon Knight was on £4000 per week - I particularly remember this being mentioned when we signed him when QPR were sniffing around- and that was when we were in the old second div.

Also you may recall the Danny Cullip was offered more when we received the hostile bid from Sheffield Utd - which would have made him the highest paid player. There have been rumours that Big Mac and FDM were one of the two highest earners.

Okay all these poayers have one thing in common - they've all been shipped out one way or another - but surely the savings on these wages alone (let alone the six figure sum bid for Tom Brighton) would be worth a punt on a player along the lines of Noel-Williams in order to KEEP US IN THIS DIVISION??? I have to say that £3500 doesn't seem a lot to me

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
We are skint - it says it on our shirts.....

I wonder how people would react if we spent money we didn't have and ended up in a worse financial mess....

Sometimes people need to think about our situation.....

MattewEdwards ShinPads said:
Common Dick just be honest with us WHY didn;t we sign this man if he would be on less than Leon Knight was on?

read what MM says before launching a tirade of rubbish.

"People can then go on and argue that we should be gambling. I don't write the cheques, at the end of the day the chairman (Dick Knight) is protecting the club.

"He feels we cannot afford to mortgage in this situation, it's not the way we have done things. We've not done it so far, so he's not about to start.

"I would like this player but we can't have him. I know people are sick of hearing it - and one of my big worries is that people start getting bored with it and start to hold it against me - but the story remains. I'm prepared to work on this basis, regardless.

"If the chairman says there is no money for the player then there is no money for the player. I'm not going to make a song and dance about it, because he's protecting the survival of this football club. I will do my best with what I've got."

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Doing my super dooper research,it seems all the club are interested in,is getting youth players in the first team hoping they will be big hits,then to flog them on grrrrrr.:angry:

Hate the thought of it,but we seem like a feeder club grrrrr:censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here