Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another striker we couldn't get.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Why is it an awful statement - because its true. Saint Dick wants to balance the books, nothing wrong with that.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm sorry but we must have a fair bit of cash for players buy now. Since selling Zamora we've seen precious little invested back into the playing side.

We've sold

Zamora
Harding
Currie
Cullip
Knight
Virgo

That probably about £5m worth.

Not to mention

Playoff money
Spurs away money
New home strip money
Coca Cola money

probably worth about £2.5m

That's £7.5m

I no longer accept the excuse that Falmer is eating all our profits. The Judicial Review is not costing the club much money in terms of real outlay. Yes it is delaying us getting to a more profitable situation but it is no longer COSTING us much. Also let's take into account the wages we're saving. We're currently playing with a fair number of youth team players. I can't imagine they're on much. So we have this money for say, taking over contracts.

It's all bullshit and I have to say that not only have I lost faith in McGhee I'm starting to lose faith in Knight too!! I never thought I'd say that either!

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Lammy said:
I'm sorry but we must have a fair bit of cash for players buy now. Since selling Zamora we've seen precious little invested back into the playing side.

We've sold

Zamora
Harding
Currie
Cullip
Knight
Virgo

That probably about £5m worth.

Not to mention

Playoff money
Spurs away money
New home strip money
Coca Cola money

probably worth about £2.5m

That's £7.5m

I no longer accept the excuse that Falmer is eating all our profits. The Judicial Review is not costing the club much money in terms of real outlay. Yes it is delaying us getting to a more profitable situation but it is no longer COSTING us much. Also let's take into account the wages we're saving. We're currently playing with a fair number of youth team players. I can't imagine they're on much. So we have this money for say, taking over contracts.

It's all bullshit and I have to say that not only have I lost faith in McGhee I'm starting to lose faith in Knight too!! I never thought I'd say that either!

I think you've overestimated the income somewhat, and also it's more having Withdean than not having Falmer which is costing us I feel.

Also I can understand where DK is coming from here, it is a considerable financial risk to sign him until the end of next season when in all probability we will be in League 1 next year. And I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the current management!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Lammy said:
Really? Where?

Zamora - £1m when you take into account the 30% we had to give to Bristol Rovers

Harding - will eventually be £800,000

Currie - £250,000

Cullip - £250,000

Knight - that pitiful £125,000, half of which went to Chelsea

Virgo - £1.5m

That equals a little under £4m, not the £5m you suggest.

Also, there is NO WAY the playoff money, Spurs money and money from home shirts makes another £2.5m as you suggest. The Coke money is irrelevant as that was ringfenced and has gone entirely on CKR's transfer fee and wages as per the rules of the competition.

Albion Rob

Race said:
Why is that worrying?

Because I'd be very surprised if we could sign someone for less than that who is going to be any better than what we have, which sadly isn't working.

Also, £3.5k basic, what's that, about £180,000 per year. Maybe plus bonuses you could argue £210,000. That seems like a reasonable amount for a player who may have jept us up this season and would certainly have a good chance of firing us to promotion next season.

Goals win games - they get you up, they get you to the playoffs, they get you cup runs when you could draw Spurs, ManUre or Chelsea.

Remember Stoke the other year - a good cup run and a home tie against Chelsea and suddenly they could sign Mark Crossely, whose performances towards the end of the season kept them up.

Plus GNW isn't even that old so there could have been some resale value there.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
samparish said:
Zamora - £1m when you take into account the 30% we had to give to Bristol Rovers

Harding - will eventually be £800,000

Currie - £250,000

Cullip - £250,000

Knight - that pitiful £125,000, half of which went to Chelsea

Virgo - £1.5m

That equals a little under £4m, not the £5m you suggest.

Also, there is NO WAY the playoff money, Spurs money and money from home shirts makes another £2.5m as you suggest. The Coke money is irrelevant as that was ringfenced and has gone entirely on CKR's transfer fee and wages as per the rules of the competition.

OK then So let's say £5 total. The CKR money DOES count as it is money given for the playing side of things which is what we're looking at.

Now. How much of that £5m in the last 2-3yrs has been put into the playing budget? Don't forget there is also money from the league, from ticket sales, merchandising and advertising which is used for the main bulk of players wages and the general running of the club. This transfer money is over and above that. I'm not say it should all be ploughed back in but we should have a lot more to spend than is currently being made available.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Albion Rob said:
Because I'd be very surprised if we could sign someone for less than that who is going to be any better than what we have, which sadly isn't working.

Also, £3.5k basic, what's that, about £180,000 per year. Maybe plus bonuses you could argue £210,000. That seems like a reasonable amount for a player who may have jept us up this season and would certainly have a good chance of firing us to promotion next season.

£3.5 basic may seem reasonable for a decent player, and you're probably right that someone decent isnt going to sign for less than that, but the bottom line is there isnt that kind of money to throw around. I laugh when I read on here some of the figures that are mentioned our players are on! I'm not claiming I know exactly but I'm sure some wouldnt believe me even if I did!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
blockhseagull said:
But we had a huge shortfall of cash and needed 3m this time last season.....so thats where it has gone

In which case why is Knight telling us that we have money to spend when we don't?

What he is really thinking is who can we sell next? Can we get away with playing the youth team in full next season?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm sure we do have money to spend..... but not sure he wants to spend it on something with no re sellable value.

Hence happy to sign Henderson and bid for Tom Brighton but not prepared to spend it on the wages of GNW who will lets face it have no sellable value

Albion Rob

Race said:
£3.5 basic may seem reasonable for a decent player, and you're probably right that someone decent isnt going to sign for less than that, but the bottom line is there isnt that kind of money to throw around. I laugh when I read on here some of the figures that are mentioned our players are on! I'm not claiming I know exactly but I'm sure some wouldnt believe me even if I did!

I would imagine some are on pretty poor wages (I think I may probably earn more than some of the lower earners !!) and I guess there is a wage structure in place for a reason ie we could back ourselves in to a corner if others demand to be top earner at the club.

Still doesn't make it hurt any less that we are going to pass up a player who could keep us in the division.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
£3.5k a week over a year = £182k.

So would it not be possible to use the money we used to bid for Tom Brighton to pay GN-W for a year? ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its fairly telling that 12 youth players were given contracts this month. Yes they've done fantastically well in the Youth Cup this year, but putting so many kids onto professional contracts in one fell swoop is probably indicative that we will be relying on them more than experienced signings in the coming seasons.

Now I'm all for youth being given a chance, and we've reaped the rewards from the likes of Virgo and Harding (at least financially). But there has to be a balance of youth, experience, and some quality signings. Now they're on professional contracts, I'm concerned that next season we could see a flood of youth teamers put into the first team who simply arn't ready. Gatting is a case in point - having been thrown into McGhee's constantly-changing cement mixer of strikers up front, he's had half a dozen games, struggled to make any impact, and now he's back on the bench. He's not ready - thats not his fault, but I don't think it's doing him any good whatsoever.

If this seasons loan/transfer window is anything to go by then next season is going to be no better, and if we do end up relying on the kids more and more, then talk of being in the promotion shake-up is just fanciful rubbish.

Last edited:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
tinx said:
This just sounds like bullsht, Dick Knight says there is funds available and players don't want to come becasue of withdean then when someone is available and wants to come and fits the profile he says we can't afford it. So which is it?

Looks like the marketing man is spreading marketing bullshit around to me

that's the sort of thing i was driving at.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Easy 10 said:
Its fairly telling that 12 youth players were given contracts this month. Yes they've done fantastically well in the Youth Cup this year, but putting so many kids onto professional contracts in one fell swoop is probably indicative that we will be relying on them more than experienced signings in the coming seasons.

Now I'm all for youth being given a chance, and we've reaped the rewards from the likes of Virgo and Harding (at least financially). But there has to be a balance of youth, experience, and some quality signings. Now they're on professional contracts, I'm concerned that next season we could see a flood of youth teamers put into the first team who simply arn't ready. Gatting is a case in point - having been thrown into McGhee's constantly-changing cement mixer of strikers up front, he's had half a dozen games, struggled to make any impact, and now he's back on the bench. He's not ready - thats not his fault, but I don't think it's doing him any good whatsoever.

If this seasons loan/transfer window is anything to go by then next season is going to be no better, and if we do end up relying on our kids, then talk of being ni the promotion shake-up is just fanciful.

The trouble is Easy, Our Youth players aren't in the shop window when they are playing for the Youth team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lammy said:
The trouble is Easy, Our Youth players aren't in the shop window when they are playing for the Youth team.
They'll sink without a trace IN the shop window if they're cast into the team for League One football next season. The likes of Dean Wilkins and Mark McGhee are obviously well aware of the dangers of playing too many young players in the first team too soon, they don't need anyone on here to tell them that. But we're now getting to a stage whereby because we can't actually sign anyone (for whatever reason, take your pick), we're not going to be left with any CHOICE but to plunder the youth team just to get an XI out there on the pitch.

Unfortunately I think the circumstances are more dire than Dick is letting on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Race said:
Whatever. I wouldnt necessarily believe anything he would have to say, unless hes actually seen his contract that is which I doubt very much, and I know our bank manager wouldnt have a clue.

Tank in brown paper bag payments shocker?!

Aug 2, 2004
SW France
If as reported we do not want to go in debt...........why? surely most of us on here have an overdraft or some loans etc..............if we want to stay up then let's go for this striker who might just keep us up and worry about what it will cost in the summer........bloody hell we're only talking about a Burnley castoff here!!!:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here