Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another piece of coalition common sense bites the dust

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I must add that I am being made redundant as of next Friday but like most people that have worked their arse off and saved, am entitled to almost bugger all ( only jsa ) I believe.
Where is the common sense in this.
I will take a job wherever I can to pay the bills but it is those that have no intention of working or keep having children even though they cannot afford it that are rewarded in today's society.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I know plenty of people who are trying their hardest to get jobs , across the whole spectrum of ages, yes there are way, way too many people who make benefits a lifestyle choice, but thats not a good enouigh reason to tar all claimants with the same brush, which you appear to have done.

I dont know who you are, but why dont you set your own account instead of hacking this blokes?

The real Bushy would want all benefit claimants shot!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bring back National Service....not as a fighting force but as a civil force doing community jobs,clearing land,cleaning. Only excused if you have a job.....watch the unemployment register disappear to practically nothing.......

And watch the bill for running such a scheme be multiples higher than the JSA bill !!!!!!

vic123

Feb 13, 2013
Bring back National Service....not as a fighting force but as a civil force doing community jobs,clearing land,cleaning. Only excused if you have a job.....watch the unemployment register disappear to practically nothing.......

I am reminded of some comments Bill Bailey made about this subject on one of his DVDs. It wasn't really about national service per se, rather the institutionalized persona of T.V programs such as the news at ten. It's the theme tune, he says. Too scary...if it had lyrics it would go something like;

this is the news...da, da, da,...DA! DA! DA!
yes, it's the news...da, da...DA! DA! DA!
sit up straight, cut yer' hair, do a bit of national service...THIS IS THE NEWS!!!!

That's too scary! I want the news eased into my living room man, I want the jazz news; *cool jazz piano in place of those crashing news at ten chords...*

...There's some shit happening in the world, man...yeah!
If you see some shit happening...just hang back an' chill
Spread your bread around man, don't be no tight ass
And the weather...? *music stops, Bailey mimes smoking a joint, exhales...*
Gonna be cooooooool...*lyrical jazz phrases plays to a finish.*

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I presume national service was a paid job, in which case all you're really saying is if you give all the jobless people a job, there'd be no unemployed. Not exactly a work of genius, that.

- - - Updated - - -

I must add that I am being made redundant as of next Friday but like most people that have worked their arse off and saved, am entitled to almost bugger all ( only jsa ) I believe.
Where is the common sense in this.
I will take a job wherever I can to pay the bills but it is those that have no intention of working or keep having children even though they cannot afford it that are rewarded in today's society.
Join the club, or rather I will at the end of March.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
This is worth a listen on the workfare scheme: Iain Duncan-Smith on LBC earlier

If you look past the frank interviewing style - IDS seems confused himself as to whether people in the workfare scheme are working to earn their benefits, or whether they are working to gain work experience.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So here's some disgraceful numbers then.

MPs hammer jobs scheme with 3 per cent rate of success - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

What an absolute farce, in short people that completed the work experience are 2 1/2times less likely to find a job than those that doing nothing. Billions spent, that has indirectly ended up in the pockets of shareholders. You couldn't make it up.

So can we stop mascarading that this is in anyway in the interest of the indivdual concerned and call it what it is. "Punishment."

So to go back to the OP, this may well have been "common sense" but has been implemented so ham-fistedly that it has actually ended up costing the tax payer more than doing nothing. Congratulations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here