Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another piece of coalition common sense bites the dust

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thats using her degree in geology well then

well thats the heart of the matter isnt it? why are they funding supermarket jobs when they should be funding geology jobs?

Camicus

well thats the heart of the matter isnt it? why are they funding supermarket jobs when they should be funding geology jobs?

I would have thought the heart of the matter would be why a graduate who had sorted her ownwork experiance was bullied in to taking unpaid work for a multi million pound company or her co case the lorry driver being forced to work for 30 hours a week for free and 6 months

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would have thought the heart of the matter would be why a graduate who had sorted her ownwork experiance was bullied in to taking unpaid work for a multi million pound company or her co case the lorry driver being forced to work for 30 hours a week for free and 6 months
for once we agree, you're still a pinko subversive though.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Surely, if someone's been paying their taxes, they have already earned the money they are now getting back from the state?

What is being asked of them is the equivalent to taking out an insurance policy, and then when you are making a claim, having to work in order to be entitled to make a successful claim.

Nail. Head. On.

For every wok shy layabout there is someone else who has contributed heavily over their working life and may find themselves needing state help if their firm goes bust or something similar. To talk about claimants in such terms as "them" or "those" implies that they are lesser human beings than you and characterises them all as parasites rather than fellow citizens.

I just hope you are never one of "them" or the "us" on here will suggest you clean the Kharzi at poundland for 70 notes a week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...the lorry driver being forced to work for 30 hours a week for free and 6 months

i'm surprised anyone is believing the lorry driver story at face value. trained electrian and HGV driver can't find a job? must be more to it. more likley cant find a job that suits him, so he'll stay on the sausage thank you very much.

Camicus

i'm surprised anyone is believing the lorry driver story at face value. trained electrian and HGV driver can't find a job? must be more to it. more likley cant find a job that suits him, so he'll stay on the sausage thank you very much.

Apparently 3 judges belived him

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, that'll be it. :facepalm:

vic123

Feb 13, 2013
Unfortunately very little common sense is used these days regarding the government. If common sense was used we would:
Have a eu referendum now.
Stop child benefit.
Stop benefit for those that have no intention of working.
Pay for all elderly care so homes do not have to be sold.
Free prescriptions.
Ban no win no fee firms so we are not constantly being threatened with being sued.
Stop aid to all countries and get our own back on track.
Stop paying benefits to foreigners who come over and have no money or job lined up.
Get out of Afghanistan.
Sort out the human rights crap that allows criminals the right to a family life etc

Rant over. These are my honest opinions and I accept there are arguments for and against. I am just pissed off that all the governments ever do is talk the talk but do nothing to change things when they supposedly have the power.

Can't say I agree with most of this. I won't respond to every point and I am mindful of your admition that there are arguments for and against. Still...

Child benefit is exactly what it says. I am sure that you would like to see a system in place where the children get the food, clothing and housing they're in need of while the parents are fed bread and water but that's not exactly realistic. Let's not punish the children just because their parents are in need of a llittle extra cash.

No win no fee firms? THAT'S included in your manifesto? Look, I will agree that the T.V adverts we've been recently plagued with are enough to cause mind cancer but the threat of litigation is NOT frivolous or spiteful. There has to be court actions in order to promote good practice. Has it never occured to you that people have been held rightly liable and that changes in procedure have followed as a direct result? Have faith my friend, the world is not out to get one over on you!

Your final point is perhaps the most chilling and heartless of all. Just stop for one minute and think of what you've said. The right to a family life. Well: Jack the Ripper, Fred West and Albert Fish (Google him...he's CRAZY!!) were all criminals who most certainly forfited their rights to life (family or otherwise) but, given the rightist leanings of your world views, I'd wager that you're lowering the bar somewhat.

As for the E.U...meh, I guess they're handy when our government pisses us off (makes people do work for less than minimum wage) but I do think we can manage on our own...for the most part.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Can't say I agree with most of this. I won't respond to every point and I am mindful of your admition that there are arguments for and against. Still...

Child benefit is exactly what it says. I am sure that you would like to see a system in place where the children get the food, clothing and housing they're in need of while the parents are fed bread and water but that's not exactly realistic. Let's not punish the children just because their parents are in need of a llittle extra cash.

No win no fee firms? THAT'S included in your manifesto? Look, I will agree that the T.V adverts we've been recently plagued with are enough to cause mind cancer but the threat of litigation is NOT frivolous or spiteful. There has to be court actions in order to promote good practice. Has it never occured to you that people have been held rightly liable and that changes in procedure have followed as a direct result? Have faith my friend, the world is not out to get one over on you!
Great idea isn't it, drastically cut legal aid AND get rid of no win no fee, and no access to justice for anyone but the rich. Sometimes wonder what planet some people are on.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Unfortunately very little common sense is used these days regarding the government. If common sense was used we would:
Have a eu referendum now.
Stop child benefit.
Stop benefit for those that have no intention of working.
Pay for all elderly care so homes do not have to be sold.
Free prescriptions.
Ban no win no fee firms so we are not constantly being threatened with being sued.
Stop aid to all countries and get our own back on track.
Stop paying benefits to foreigners who come over and have no money or job lined up.
Get out of Afghanistan.
Sort out the human rights crap that allows criminals the right to a family life etc

Rant over. These are my honest opinions and I accept there are arguments for and against. I am just pissed off that all the governments ever do is talk the talk but do nothing to change things when they supposedly have the power.
My sentiments also.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Bring back National Service....not as a fighting force but as a civil force doing community jobs,clearing land,cleaning. Only excused if you have a job.....watch the unemployment register disappear to practically nothing.......

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bring back National Service....not as a fighting force but as a civil force doing community jobs,clearing land,cleaning. Only excused if you have a job.....watch the unemployment register disappear to practically nothing.......
I know plenty of people who are trying their hardest to get jobs , across the whole spectrum of ages, yes there are way, way too many people who make benefits a lifestyle choice, but thats not a good enouigh reason to tar all claimants with the same brush, which you appear to have done.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know plenty of people who are trying their hardest to get jobs , across the whole spectrum of ages, yes there are way, way too many people who make benefits a lifestyle choice, but thats not a good enouigh reason to tar all claimants with the same brush, which you appear to have done.

I do believe your sensible comments will fall upon deaf ears as it doesn't suit the agenda!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here