Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another loan striker bites the dust

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
dwayne said:
because if clubs knew he was available there would be about 10 in the queue to snag him, and the other 9 would be bigger teams with decent stadiums further up the league!

....and don't give me any shit about special relationships with Arsenal!

Dwaynester, you really dont know anything of the kind :)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Bugger it. That's our luck summed up this season.
Perhaps they'd be so kind as to lend us Bergkamp instead :jester:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
i suspect this whole story is bollox. All to late now anyway , should of been addressed in Jan, even a journeyman would of been better than rookies leading the line. Also needed a CM and have had no recognised left back for most the season.

Feb 16, 2006
Hove
Good point but I wouldn't underestimate the boost a loan striker would give the team, management and fans at this stage! It may be blind faith but I still believe we will get someone in! Although I must say it's very very odd whats gone on this season!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Plus a club like Arsenal can afford to lend out players just to give them any experience and STILL pay for their wages- which is where i think this one was going.

Have you never played Championship manager or something?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Albion Rob said:
I don't see why this wouldn't be true

1) He is one of the hottest young strikers in the premiership (we cant even attract Asaba, Shipperly or Noel Williams)

2) He is one of the hottest young strikers in the premiership - if he was available on loan there would be a queue of clubs wanting to get him for a few weeks

3) We are down already, it wouldn't do his career any good playing in a team with no confidence, who could give him no service, in a rubbish stadium

4) were into double figures of failed attempted striker signings, why would this be any different?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
fourthteamtillidie said:
Plus a club like Arsenal can afford to lend out players just to give them any experience and STILL pay for their wages- which is where i think this one was going.

Have you never played Championship manager or something?

Nope Dick Knight said on Harty's show that we pay ALL wages for ALL loan players, forget championship manager!

...or are you calling DK a liar?:lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It can hardly be bollocks if this is the story on the official site

"Albion's bid to bring in a striker ahead of the transfer deadline on Thursday suffered a major setback after Arsenal loan target Arturo Lupoli was ruled out for the rest of the season.

The 19-year-old hotshot, prolific this season in the Gunners' reserve team, was poised to sign for the Seagulls until the end of the season once he had made his comeback from a foot injury in the reserves on Monday.

Chairman Dick Knight had used his relationship with the Premiership giants to negotiate the deal, with Arsene Wenger consenting for the striker to come to the Albion.

Lupoli was on the bench for the Gunners for their tremendous Champions League victory against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu, and was awarded the Carling Cup Best New Talent award by the Football Writers' Association for his performances in the competition, ahead of Jake Robinson.

But agonisingly, further tests have revealed the Italian forward has a hairline fracture of the metatarsal in his foot and is therefore ruled out for the rest of the campaign.

Knight told seagulls.co.uk, "Arturo Lupoli's misfortune is our bad luck after all our efforts to bring this top quality striker to the club.

"Arsene Wenger and Liam Brady were willing to let him come on loan to Brighton and I'm very grateful to them.

"The fact that the Albion are sponsored by Donatello's would have helped him feel at home too."

"Despite this disappointment our search for a new striker will continue right up until the deadline on Thursday. We have been in discussions with a Scottish third division club but I can say no more than that"

The Seagulls have until the loan transfer deadline at 5pm on Thursday to bring in any players.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
so I'm assuming none of the other Arsenal reserve strikers are good enough?!! or did we just want Lupoli

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who gives a shit, its too late for this season, we are down, even if we got Ronaldinho and Rooney up front for us for the last 7 games we would still go down.

I would rather we saved our fighting fund money for the almighty struggle we are likely to have in Div 1 next season not spunk it on some fancy player who will not make a jot of difference to the fact we are down already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here