Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another England thread!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
1.Would you rather of got there and failed misrabley like the french or failed misrabley and not got there? to be honest i think they are both as bad as eachover especially how the french just looked pathetic.

2. How shocking would we have been as we only recently lost to the french team who looked so hopeless at this championship! :ohmy:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I dont honestly think we've got enough quality players to be competing in major competitions anyway.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
1.Would you rather of got there and failed misrabley like the french or failed misrabley and not got there? to be honest i think they are both as bad as eachover especially how the french just looked pathetic.

2. How shocking would we have been as we only recently lost to the french team who looked so hopeless at this championship! :ohmy:

I wasn't really interested in the tournament in the beginning, but I must say I have seen some very entertaining stuff. I think it's because we're not involved I want the best teams and the best football to win, rather than hoping the good teams go out in case we face them.

So, all in all, I;m glad we're not there cos

a) McClaren got the boot
b) I'm enjoying the spectacle

but, I would rather we were there, but I fear we would have failed miserably.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I Was glad McClown went, but i have missed sneaking the afternoon off and having a few beers with mates and then reacreating the game down the park later like a 10 year old and the general atmosphere which is generated when we are in a major tournment.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I dont honestly think we've got enough quality players to be competing in major competitions anyway.

I reckon we do have some players of quality...however, it is almost 20 years since we put out a cohesive unit that many of us like to call a team, who played for each other and the manager, whilst at the same time looking capable of actually winning something.

For those not old enough to remember, it was the team Bobby Robson led during Italia 90, containing the likes of Lineker, Gasgoigne and Pearce...all of whom wore the shirt with pride and commitment and would willingly have died for their country...the present shower are largely unfit to lace their boots, let alone dine at the same table.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Apart from the quality of Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole x 2, Owen, Beckham etc etc...?

U honestly don't think we're good enough to be in the top 16 teams in EUROPE!? Are u f***ing mental?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I reckon we do have some players of quality...however, it is almost 20 years since we put out a cohesive unit that many of us like to call a team, who played for each other and the manager, whilst at the same time looking capable of actually winning something.

For those not old enough to remember, it was the team Bobby Robson led during Italia 90, containing the likes of Lineker, Gasgoigne and Pearce...all of whom wore the shirt with pride and commitment and would willingly have died for their country...the present shower are largely unfit to lace their boots, let alone dine at the same table.

I also think that we looked very, very good in France 98 as well. Bearing inmind that only a few months before we won Le Tournoi which included France and Italy and Brazil.

However we all know that we were reduced to 10 men against the Argies (thanks Becks) then lost on pens. But we were a very, very comfortable side then. Hoddle built a decent team. I reckon we could have gone all the way that year.

Granted he then lost the plot with his comments about disabled people being punished for what they done in a previous life and all the Eileen Drewery nonsense.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I also think that we looked very, very good in France 98 as well. Bearing inmind that only a few months before we won Le Tournoi which included France and Italy and Brazil.

However we all know that we were reduced to 10 men against the Argies (thanks Becks) then lost on pens. But we were a very, very comfortable side then. Hoddle built a decent team. I reckon we could have gone all the way that year.

Granted he then lost the plot with his comments about disabled people being punished for what they done in a previous life and all the Eileen Drewery nonsense.

Spot on - LOVED France 98 :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Apart from the quality of Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole x 2, Owen, Beckham etc etc...?

U honestly don't think we're good enough to be in the top 16 teams in EUROPE!? Are u f***ing mental?

Rooney rarely scores for England, Owen is allways injured and beckham is no more than a has been now. Yeah were blessed with central midfielders, centre backs and left backs but where's the quality keeper, right back, wide players and an out and out striker?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Left backs? i think thats one of the reasons we didnt get to the championships!

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

The fact speaks for itself - we're not there! i.e we're not good enough.

These players don't seem the same for England as they do for their clubs. They no longer look like 'quality' players or look as though they care half as much, other than Beckham. Rooney is really not very good for England neither is Joe Cole. Something needs to change, and I think some players need to be dropped.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town

Well obviously not, otherwise we'd be there

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The fact speaks for itself - we're not there! i.e we're not good enough.

These players don't seem the same for England as they do for their clubs. They no longer look like 'quality' players or look as though they care half as much, other than Beckham. Rooney is really not very good for England neither is Joe Cole. Something needs to change, and I think some players need to be dropped.

It doesn't spk for itself at all - of course we are one of the best teams in Europe - we just underperformed for a clown manager :thumbsup:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think times have changed, I doubt if the current crop of players really dream of playing for their country...most want a big salary, house in Cheshire, flash car and a WAG...no room for three lions on a shirt.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well obviously not, otherwise we'd be there

Sometimes funny things happen in football - 11 for 11 we're easily in the top 5 in the WORLD - blatantly even if you don't agree with that we're top 10 - we've got to the 1/4s twice in recent WORLD cups and the Semis in the last 5 World Cups so blatently overall we ARE good enough...

We simply didn't perform as we could and should in qualifying - for a shit manager...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think times have changed, I doubt if the current crop of players really dream of playing for their country...most want a big salary, house in Cheshire, flash car and a WAG...no room for three lions on a shirt.

Scarily this could be true for the odd person - but i'm confident that Capello will sort this...

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Scarily this could be true for the odd person - but i'm confident that Capello will sort this...

I think he will too, the attitudes of the players needed to be tackled, I think he is the man to do it...at least the FA got this one right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here