Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another bank I hear are being bought tomorrow

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Halifax shares were down 32% at 189.70 at 1200 today, have now "recovered" to down 16.93% at 234.25 so guess it will be a takeover, not a collapse?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Whilst the mortgages might be sold on to another provider, if a company such as Halifax or A&L were to go under, what would happen to other debts people might have with said institution, such as loans or credit cards?

same as the mortgage. the debts would be bought by another provider (at some discount) but it would be business as usual for you....

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Just found out that my mortgage provider at the mo (Preferred, administered by Capstone) is part of Lehman Bros sprawling spiders web.

Here's hoping the mortgage is bought by a better company who wants to lower rates and not by a corporate shark (you listening UK Government) who will want to hike rates a lot.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Halifax shares were down 32% at 189.70 at 1200 today, have now "recovered" to down 16.93% at 234.25 so guess it will be a takeover, not a collapse?

eh, what about Halifax? Didn't think there was anything worrying about HBOS - yet....

Have my savings account with them and my debts with Bank of Ireland, don't really care what happens to BOI as a result :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Halifax are HBOS which includes Halifax Plc, Intelligent Finance, Bank of Scotland and Birmingham Midshires ( and The Mortgage Business who closed for new business on 22/8/08 ).

Firstly why do people assume other banks and lenders will want to take on the HBOS mortgage book. They are very picky in their lending and basically do not want to know you if you have less than 25% deposit , or not in a secure and stable job and having any adverse credit including 1 missed payment on a credit card.

People saying oh another Bank will take on the mortgage book are woefully incorrect.

Northern rock Plc are encouraging borrowers to f*** off to Lloyds TSB but Lloyds TSB will only take on those they want, ie cherry pick the best one the rest will stay with Northern Rock but will go onto the variable rate when their deal ends.

Consdiering HBOS have between 25-30% of the UK mortgage book there is not the capacity for other Banks to take on that amount of new mortgages.

Also Abbey are probably the strongest Bank and lender in the UK right now, Santander are basically very sound.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What the f*** is Howard going to do ?.

A&L are being taken over by Santander , B&B are in the do do. If Halifax do a fannie mae the whole market is f***ed as it is the biggest historical lender in the UK with the largest current mortgage book.
I bank with A&L and I get the impression that when Banco Santander take over they will rebrand it to Abbey over a very short period of time. Looks like there will be thousands of job cuts as operations are streamlined including closing all A&L branches within a mile of an Abbey branch and culling call centres. Originally my current account was with National Girobank which was publicly owned being part of the Post Office. The Government then decided to offload it into the private sector and I believe sold it for a nominal fee (£1 ?) to Alliance & Leicester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here