Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another award for Crawley Town

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm guessing a combination of jealousy, snobbery and employing Steve Evans.

All of the above but I think you'll find Mr Evans stewardship is the prime factor. Are Palace in there for living above their means TWICE ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All of the above but I think you'll find Mr Evans stewardship is the prime factor. Are Palace in there for living above their means TWICE ?

No, presumably because they've managed to peddle the "poor old us, it wasn't our fault" line that so many other League clubs have done.

Crawley, or at least personnel at their club, have in the past not only been morally questionable, but also downright illegal in their dealings. And they are still being very cagey about who their mystery owners are, which does raise a few questions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Being a Brighton fan should mean you automatically detest Manure. Bizarre level of hatred? Were you alive in 1983?? Seems not.
Were they supposed to just roll over then? Do you want me to hate all the other teams who have beaten us since, too? What about the 23 teams that were in division one that year? Should I hate them all too for relegating us?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Being a Brighton fan should mean you automatically detest Manure. Bizarre level of hatred? Were you alive in 1983?? Seems not.

Don't be daft, I was around then and I don't really care one way or the other about United. If I loathed every team I'd ever seen beat us, I'd be in a psychiatric ward by now. United have their moments of extreme twattishness, but so do all the teams at their level.

Frankly, I've always felt it looks a bit small-time when fans of clubs at our level rant on about hating United. Because MUFC sure as hell don't give a shit about us. And nothing is more pathetic in a football sense than unrequited passion, be it love or hate.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think most of the dislike of Crawley is aimed at their manager. Evans is not a popular man amongst fans of non-league teams, though I am not too sure why, the fact that he will now be managing a team in Division 2 may temper this somewhat.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't be daft, I was around then and I don't really care one way or the other about United. If I loathed every team I'd ever seen beat us, I'd be in a psychiatric ward by now. United have their moments of extreme twattishness, but so do all the teams at their level.

Frankly, I've always felt it looks a bit small-time when fans of clubs at our level rant on about hating United. Because MUFC sure as hell don't give a shit about us. And nothing is more pathetic in a football sense than unrequited passion, be it love or hate.

100% agree with that Edna.

I think most of the dislike of Crawley is aimed at their manager. Evans is not a popular man amongst fans of non-league teams, though I am not too sure why, the fact that he will now be managing a team in Division 2 may temper this somewhat.

I met Steve Evans at the Newport County v Crawley match at the end of last season, he couldn't have been nicer. He had friends/family in the main stand, he came over before and after the game and was more than happy chatting with County fans, posing for photos, signing autographs, and made sure his players applauded the County fans as well as the 20 or so Crawley fans who'd travelled. He stuck around for the County players end of season 'lap of honour' clapping them and chatted some more with those around him. He came into the hospitality lounge after, with a number of the Crawley players, including Michel, and had some refreshments, again, thoroughly nice, his players were chatting with everyone in there, did a little speech (when asked) in the MOM presentations complimenting the County set-up, the fans and directors.

Remind me again why he is a twonk :shrug:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No, presumably because they've managed to peddle the "poor old us, it wasn't our fault" line that so many other League clubs have done.

Crawley, or at least personnel at their club, have in the past not only been morally questionable, but also downright illegal in their dealings. And they are still being very cagey about who their mystery owners are, which does raise a few questions.

Don't they have to reveal the mystery owners now they are in the football league?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Were they supposed to just roll over then? Do you want me to hate all the other teams who have beaten us since, too? What about the 23 teams that were in division one that year? Should I hate them all too for relegating us?

I used to depise Man Utd thanks to their millions of armchair fans who have never been with a hundred miles of Old Trafford. However seeing as the same can be said of the likes of Chelsea I tend to treat them with the respect they deserve, I would argue that they are the 2nd best team in the World.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I used to depise Man Utd thanks to their millions of armchair fans who have never been with a hundred miles of Old Trafford. However seeing as the same can be said of the likes of Chelsea I tend to treat them with the respect they deserve, I would argue that they are the 2nd best team in the World.

They may be the second best in the world but they are such a distant second it doesn't really merit mentioning. In those stakes, Man Utd will only ever be mentioned in the following sentence: "Manchester United were once again outclassed by a magnificent Barcelona, thus ending their hopes for a fourth European crown".

I don't hate Man Utd. I do dislike them. I respect Sir Alex but agressively dislike him. Man Utd are always going to top these lists by virtue of their success, their size, their manager and Gary Neville. Man City are an irrelevance at this stage because they lack success.

As for Crawley. They are disliked because they bought the BSP and look like buying the L2 title (if all goes well). Fundamentally, they are not disliked because they are successful, but because they are shadily mega rich AND successful. Oh, and Steve Evans.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
steve evans is a nasty ratty chavy sort in my book. i think he's calling this season 'project promotion' or some such nonsense. more like 'project prosecution'. he wrecked boston fc, there's a boston fan who has posted on here in the past i think, ask him about it

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They may be the second best in the world but they are such a distant second it doesn't really merit mentioning. In those stakes, Man Utd will only ever be mentioned in the following sentence: "Manchester United were once again outclassed by a magnificent Barcelona, thus ending their hopes for a fourth European crown".

I don't hate Man Utd. I do dislike them. I respect Sir Alex but agressively dislike him. Man Utd are always going to top these lists by virtue of their success, their size, their manager and Gary Neville. Man City are an irrelevance at this stage because they lack success.

As for Crawley. They are disliked because they bought the BSP and look like buying the L2 title (if all goes well). Fundamentally, they are not disliked because they are successful, but because they are shadily mega rich AND successful. Oh, and Steve Evans.

Actually, when I said they were the second best I wasn't considering a foreign team as first ...... Think about it !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Remind me again why he is a twonk :shrug:

Like I said earlier, I really haven't a clue...I saw his Crawley side play towards the end of the season and have to say that they really impressed me. They moved the ball around nicely and really didn't have to get out of first gear to overcome their opponents. They were probably the best non-league side I have seen play...and that is in comparison with the likes of Barnet, Exeter and Stevenage in the seasons they earned promotion to the League.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They may be the second best in the world but they are such a distant second it doesn't really merit mentioning.

Really? You sound a little bitter. Arsenal beat them (Barcelona), and they came fourth in the league that United basically won at a canter. They are superb, for sure, but I think you allowing a personal dislike for United to get in the way of recognising they are also a great side, as indeed are Chelsea right now. What comes around, goes around, Barca will lose ground to United or Chelsea or Arsenal, or maybe Madrid or an Italian side, and then another side will be the 'best ever', remember the Galacticos a few years back, they used to beat Barca for fun.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess people have long memories in football, and Steve Evans is a convicted fraudster who got Boston into the Football League by cheating. A lot of the non league clubs at the time were of the view that they were never really punished for their conduct as they were only deducted a minimal number of points and were still allowed to be promoted.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Really? You sound a little bitter. Arsenal beat them (Barcelona), and they came fourth in the league that United basically won at a canter. They are superb, for sure, but I think you allowing a personal dislike for United to get in the way of recognising they are also a great side, as indeed are Chelsea right now. What comes around, goes around, Barca will lose ground to United or Chelsea or Arsenal, or maybe Madrid or an Italian side, and then another side will be the 'best ever', remember the Galacticos a few years back, they used to beat Barca for fun.

I'm not denying that they are a good side, I just don't think they're anywhere near Barcelona yet and i don't think Ashley Young and Phil Jones are the players to close the gap. Yeah, they're good young players but Barca are most likely signing Fabregas as a bench warmer and he'd walk into United's comparatively pedestrian midfield.

It does go in cycles and nobody likes Schumacher-esque dominance but Barca are a truly great side. People will catch them but I dount it will be quick. Here, I personally think Chelsea will win the title next year however it would take a catastrophe for Barcelona to not win the Champions League.

When it comes to the final, despite my dislike for United, I still wanted them to win because I always support English teams in Europe but the gap in last years final was frankly embarassing. Sure, United can catch up and maybe they will but will it be next season? In my opinion, no.

I'm really not bitter (I'm not sure what I have to be bitter about) but I can't see this United side beating the United side of 3 years ago, or the Mourinho Chelsea, or the Arsenal Invincibles, or United's treble winning team of 1999. They are a very good side but in the pantheon of United title winning sides, they are lacking in my opinion.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Not many other teams or supporters gave a toss when Crawley were on the verge of liquidation in 2006 after the Majeeds had f***ed them over. The club was on its knees then so the real fans of the club have every right to enjoy all the success they're having at the moment.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Not many other teams or supporters gave a toss when Crawley were on the verge of liquidation in 2006 after the Majeeds had f***ed them over. The club was on its knees then so the real fans of the club have every right to enjoy all the success they're having at the moment.

the best most acurate post of the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here