Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ANNUAL Best Stand Up Comedian competition - 2012 NOMINATIONS

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OK, fair point. But in comedy, "most successful" = most tickets and DVDs sold, and that's not in any question. (McIntyre. Not Astley. Though he might have been.)

But this competition isn't "most successful", it's "best". As in, who does NSC critically rate the highest. I do however agree that the tournament perhaps would've been better with Mike Mac in, if only to divide people and create debate. Mass debate.

You should be pleased to know you were effectively level with McIntyre, Williams etc in the nominations!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well, clearly there is, else they wouldn't have the huge followings and sell-out tours. Nobody buys a ticket/DVD for someone out of sympathy. The key fact is that you don't find them funny. And if you don't find any woman funny, it might be a reflection on how your perceive women, not on whether women are funny or not. I totally accept that you aren't on your own though, and that this is a common opinion.

You could say that [insert dreadful boyband here] sell allot of records and have sell out tours, doesn't mean they are any good though!

I find lots of women funny and full appreciate women can be as funny as men. However I just can't think of one female comic on the UK scene at the moment that I find laugh out loud funny.

For example, this weekend at Komedia, Kerry Godliman is on. She's like a female Mickey Flanagan; very dry, great storyteller. I'm pretty certain 80% of the crowd will love her, because she's funny. We wouldn't put her on otherwise. :)

Again, she goes into the meh bucket, but then having said that so does Micky Flanagan but that maybe because he's been on the TV more than the test card over the last 18 months.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can a mod edit the thread title to show nominations now CLOSED? I can't find a way to do it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
OK, fair point. But in comedy, "most successful" = most tickets and DVDs sold, and that's not in any question. (McIntyre. Not Astley. Though he might have been.)

No doubt, and I don't dislike him but I'm not sure he's more successful because he's a 'better' comedian, just that he's more accessible and less controversial. Good subject for a debate though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Richard Herring?

(he said, clearly ignoring the fact that it's closed)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Richard Herring?

(he said, clearly ignoring the fact that it's closed)

With Herring fans behind him, I think Stewart Lee has potential to go very far here.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How on EARTH are the following in the running for Best Stand Up EVER?

Stewart Lee
Dara O'Briain
Tim Minchin
Micky Flanaghan
Russell Howard
Ricky Gervais
Reginald D Hunter
Jimmy Carr
Kevin Bridges
Stewart Francis
Milton Jones
Rhod Gilbert
Ross Noble
Frankie Boyle
Frank Skinner
Tim Vine
Sean Locke
Dylan Moran
Lee Mack
Bill Bailey

Well?

The only ones worthy of even being included in the vote are Pryor, Hicks, Izzard and Rock.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's for Best EVER. It's just an Annual competition. Like World's Hardest Creature doesn't mean what creature has been hardest in THAT year. Winning comedians will be retired, again like in the WHC.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apologies for confusion. AGAIN can a mod please help? Both add "EVER" to the title, and change the end to ***NOMINATIONS CLOSED***

Thank you MODS x

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Apologies for confusion. AGAIN can a mod please help? Both add "EVER" to the title, and change the end to ***NOMINATIONS CLOSED***

Thank you MODS x

And maybe get rid of the comedians who have had an average 2011 and replace them with the comedy GREATS missing out...

Not your fault Mellotron. The fault of the NSC voting public.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Come on it said "comedian' in the title thread. He's spent the last decade appearing in second rate films.

I am not a fan of his, but he is regularly mentioned by stand-ups as one of the best and most influential of recent years. Certainly more deserving of being in a Best Ever line-up than 90 per cent of the people on this list.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
But without Michael McIntyre - the single most successful stand-up comedian of the last ten years, it's a bit like having the champions league without Barcelona.

in comedy, "most successful" = most tickets and DVDs sold, and that's not in any question. (McIntyre. Not Astley. Though he might have been.)

Hasn't Lee Evans sold more seats at his arena tours or Peter Kay when it comes to DVD sales (using the ten year period you stated)?

Kay has sold over 10 million DVDs, a UK record for a comedian

McIntyre has released two stand-up DVDs; Live and Laughing in 2008 while Michael McIntyre: Hello Wembley was released in November 2009. Hello Wembley has sold over a million copies

10 million versus 1 million ... even if we give him another 1m for the first DVD he is still well short of Kay.

Evans toured the UK in Autumn 2008 with his brand new stand-up act entitled "Big". During his "Big" tour he performed in front of over 500,000 people on 59 dates. A UK record for a comedian

and of course EVANS has done multiple other tours over the past ten years hitting similarly large numbers of people .. so you can safely say he has sold well in excess of 1m tickets (and probably approaching 1.5m) in the ten year period

MCINTYRE has had one major comparative tour in 2009, when he approached 500,000 ... add in his smaller tours and he is struggling to hit 3/4m

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's for Best EVER. It's just an Annual competition. Like World's Hardest Creature doesn't mean what creature has been hardest in THAT year. Winning comedians will be retired, again like in the WHC.

WHC doesn't have extinct creatures in though :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here