Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ann DeVecchi - Planning Application

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What I DO know is that there isn't enough electricity capacity to run a stadium at Falmer. But I also know that this will be sorted in time.

Is their a plan for a hot air power generator to be fitted to LDC chambers, or could we all be peddling on spin bikes as we watch.

PS you have blown it now, this will be lead story in the Argus by Monday

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I hope the solar panels fall through her roof during a storm and wreck her f***ing house. Oh and then it gets flooded or something equally shit.

I feel better now.

Can someone come up with a standard letter, that just needs an address adding to, we can put stall up outside Withdean on Friday and get everyone to complete one.

May I suggest that a standard letter is just what we don't need; dozens of identical letters are likely to be sidelined as "objectors with an alternative agenda". Surely it is not too much to ask people to phrase their objections in their own way.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I got home this evening to see a letter from Lewes DC on my doormat. Couldn't think what it could be about but....

It appears our favourite Lewes councillors' planning app is being discussed at a council meeting on 3rd Feb at 5pm. The meeting is being held at the council chamber in St Annes Crescent.

Anyhoo, the letter invites 3 supporters (doubt there are any of those) and 3 objectors to speak about the application.

Now as I'm in Southampton I won't be able to make it, but will any of dear old Ann's biggest fans on NSC care to wipe that smile off her face?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I got home this evening to see a letter from Lewes DC on my doormat. Couldn't think what it could be about but....

It appears our favourite Lewes councillors' planning app is being discussed at a council meeting on 3rd Feb at 5pm. The meeting is being held at the council chamber in St Annes Crescent.

Anyhoo, the letter invites 3 supporters (doubt there are any of those) and 3 objectors to speak about the application.

Now as I'm in Southampton I won't be able to make it, but will any of dear old Ann's biggest fans on NSC care to wipe that smile off her face?

:lolol: Wearing your Albion shirts :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I got mine through.

3rd feb 2010 at Council Chambers,county hall, st annes crescent, lewes at 5pm. Can attend to listen.

The application is recommended for APPROVAL:(

The LDC Planning Officer's Report to the Planning Applications Committee:-

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/CMISWebPublic/Binary.ashx?Document=2344

PARISH / WARD: Lewes / Lewes Priory
APPLICATION NUMBER: LW/09/1200
APPLICANTS NAME(S): Mr T De Vecchi
PROPOSAL: Listed Building Application for Installation of eight x photo-voltaic panels in roof valley on south facing roof slope
SITE ADDRESS: 47 Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1HX
GRID REF: TQ 4109

1. SITE DESCRIPTION / PROPOSAL

1.1 The application property is a mid terraced house located on the northern side of Southover High Street. It was built during the early 19th century and is grade II listed.

1.2 The proposal is to install eight photovoltaic panels on the roof of the dwelling.

1.3 This application for listed building consent is being submitted to the Committee for the consideration as the application has been submitted by a serving Councillor.

2. RELEVANT POLICIES

LDLP: – ST03 – Design, Form and Setting of Development
LDLP: – H02 – Listed Buildings
LDLP: – H05 – Conservation Areas

3. PLANNING HISTORY

No relevant planning history.

4. REPRESENTATIONS FROM STANDARD CONSULTEES

Main Town Or Parish Council – Members welcomed the invisible location in the roof valley, non damaging fixtures and eco initiative.

Design & Conservation Officer – The proposed photo-voltaic panels would be hidden from view within the roof valley and will only be viewable from the small attic window of the adjacent property. It is therefore considered that the panels would have no visual impact on the character and appearance of the listed building or the conservation area. Additionally, the fixings for solar panels would have no impact on the fabric of the listed building.

It is therefore recommended that the application be approved.

5. REPRESENTATIONS FROM LOCAL RESIDENTS

5.1 123 representations were received (electronically), of which 121 raised objections to the application on the grounds of detrimental impact on the South Downs National Park, such panels would be out of place on a listed building, inappropriate and unsightly within the Conservation Area, negative visual impact, detrimental impact on heritage of the town, impact on bats through increased collisions with the roof.

5.2 Two letters of support (one from the direct neighbour) supporting the application as the panels would not be seen from the public domain, improved long term sustainability, wider environmental benefits, this technology should be actively encouraged.

6. PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS

6.1 The roof of the dwelling consists of a pair of pitch roofs, aligned parallel to the road, and which form a hidden valley in the centre of the building. It is proposed to install the eight panels on the south facing slope of the rear of the two pitch roofs.

6.2 Each panel will measure 798 x 1580mm. They will be arranged in two lines of four, laid in a landscape orientation. They will be mounted and fixed to the existing roof using tile hangers which will support a mounting rail upon which the panels will sit. This will ensure that the mounting will not have any detrimental impact on the historic fabric of the building.

6.3 Due to the location of the panels within the valley at the centre of the roof the panels will not be visible from the public realm and therefore will not have any impact on the adjacent Conservation Area.

6.4 The site is located within the boundary of the designated South Downs National Park, which comes into effect on 31 March 2010. This designation is a material consideration in the determination of this application. The two main purposes of a national park are to conserve and enhance the Park’s natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage, and to create opportunities for public understanding and enjoyment of the Park’s special qualities. As the panels cannot be seen from the public realm it is not considered that either of these specific purposes would be prejudiced by the proposed development.

7. RECOMMENDATION

It is considered that the proposal would not have any detrimental impact on the Listed Building, Conservation Area or the wider South Downs National Park and therefore listed building consent should be granted.

Summary of reasons for decision and any relevant development plan policies/proposal:

It is considered that the proposal meets the aims and objectives of Local Plan Policy and respects the character of the building and the wider location, complying with Policies ST3, H2 and H5 of the Lewes District Local Plan.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...ummm, wonder where the bat comment came from?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
2 representations of support and 121 against and it's going to be approved?

Inside job!

Last edited:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Wonder if they will close the doors and have a private meeting on this?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I got my letter from LDC today , despite all the objections it looks like a precedent will be set allowing all and sundry to install solar panels on grade 2 listed buildings in Lewes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got my letter and thought it was a speeding fine at first.!!

Highly amusing that it's 121-2 against!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here