Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry but there is no room for sentiment in football and Leeds knew that. Caspers distribution last season was a major factor but now with a step up in class his failings are being exposed. Never mind specific incidents like yesterday it must be hell for our defence not having any confidence in his handling. I also think his shot stopping ranges from pretty good to horrendously leaden footed and stiff. That variance is not good as consistency is crucial.

I can't help thinking its a rather obtuse defence of Casper to start moaning about what's happening up front. I think we all agree that the service to CMS is an issue but the success of the great teams is not conceding and that means a good keeper behind a solid defence. I can't help thinking that Gus signing Harper was intended to put pressure on Casper to improve his game but perhaps its naive to think his weaknesses could be rectified overnight.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The problem yesterday was that we only had one shot on target. This is a team game, so to blame Ankergren for the defeat is very short sighted. Yes, he made a mistake that cost us a goal. But, why were we not creating and taking chances at the other end? This is the real question we should be asking. If we had put a couple of chances away properly, we wouldn't be spending so much of our time on threads like this.
Thing is about this argument that you can have more than one problem.

Not creating enough chances is a big problem but we've won the Coventry and Forest games with similar performances, maybe we would have got a point yesterday is Casper hadn't chucked one in. Middlesborough don't score or concede many so it was always going to be a struggle after that, sounded like it took the wind out of our sails after a relatively decent start too.

To be he was solid at Derby,for once.
Fair enough, I think he actualy had a realy good start to the season but then went downhill, I think Gus hoped a spell out of the spotlight might help his form as well as helping the team with Harper. But now I think it's very likely Gus will be looking for a longer term keeper in January.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don't believe the rubbish I am reading on this thread but then again why am I surprised?

What is the point of stating that you think something is rubbish and then you don't bother to state why? Is that not one of the key functions of NSC to encourage debate?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Keeprs mistakes are always highlighted normally with a goal, Caspers mistake yesterday was poor and did cost us a point, Boro didn't look like scoring up until then.

He made a couple of good saves and fumbled a free kick. His kicking was poor often placing the ball in no mans land.

Gus knows we need a replacement hence the Harper loan move last month, for now we just have to grin and bear Casper until January.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's not that Ankergren is a bad keeper (although Leeds were pretty sure he wasn't up to this division) but he's not that good either - League 1 standard (and good at that level) - Harper was noticeably better; pity we couldn't get him to stay

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont think it will make any difference to Gus as he said in an interview everybody makes mistakes some times its strikers, some times its midfielders some times defenders or goal keeper it is how the team overcomes this that matters.

As one of the 679 who made the very long journey to the game do I blame Ankergen for yesterday's defeat?

In part Yes.
He did make one good save as well.

I blame the manager...
Who set out the game plan to have one up front for most of the game. We have never one a game (I believe) with only CMS up front.

I blame Paynter....
Who is a crock of poop

I blame our coaching staff....
Who train our players to break into attack at the speed of the turning of a great sea liner

We maybe 7th BUT are in a totally false position.
No chance of being top half at the end of the season without major improvements.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As one of the 679 who made the very long journey to the game do I blame Ankergen for yesterday's defeat?

In part Yes.
He did make one good save as well.

I blame the manager...
Who set out the game plan to have one up front for most of the game. We have never one a game (I believe) with only CMS up front.

I blame Paynter....
Who is a crock of poop

I blame our coaching staff....
Who train our players to break into attack at the speed of the turning of a great sea liner

We maybe 7th BUT are in a totally false position.
No chance of being top half at the end of the season without major improvements.

My fear is that this is correct. We're skating on very thin ice at the moment and just about getting away with it. I know Gus is fielding teams that have key players missing, in particular Buckley, Vicente and Hoskins but that just underlines the fact that quite a few of our players are not up to the standard required to compete at the top of this league. Whatever Gus's views are about the January window and the loan system we have to shore things up in January to see us through to the end of the season and then take a long hard look at who we release and bring in next year.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I don't know that I remember the higher quality saves of harper, but I too find this argument of him being a god shot stopper to not be entirely accurate. For me, to a be a good shot stopper you need to make saves that aren't often made by keepers, otherwise you are just keeping goal. Too many shots go through him or leave him planted for me to consider him anything other than average when it comes to shot stopping.

Think it was Coventry, I recall him pushing a shot over the bar with his fingertips, among others, the sort of shot Casper would have remained rooted to the spot for.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
My fear is that this is correct. We're skating on very thin ice at the moment and just about getting away with it. I know Gus is fielding teams that have key players missing, in particular Buckley, Vicente and Hoskins but that just underlines the fact that quite a few of our players are not up to the standard required to compete at the top of this league. Whatever Gus's views are about the January window and the loan system we have to shore things up in January to see us through to the end of the season and then take a long hard look at who we release and bring in next year.

So you think we are going to struggle to get another 18 points out of 26 games to be safe when we have got 12 from our last 6?

We will probably be there by March which is a major success. We may be in a false position but we are certainly better than 4 teams in this league. What do people expect? Is it our support that has a disproportionate bunch of want it all now idiots or an indictment on society generally? It takes time to build.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Casper has played 4 games since Harper's return to Newcastle. We have won 3 of those games scoring 4 and conceding 2. I would not think there are many goalkeepers in the division who have conceded less than 2 goals in their last 4 games.

Harper had more presence and confidence although I am unsure that his overall play would result in less goals conceded. Maybe Gus has this view as well. What is pretty certain is that Gus has a challenging budget to work with and has to determine priorities. Casper is certainly one of the better goalkeepers there has been at Brighton in recent years and I do not believe his performances justify the extent of the criticism put his way.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I recall Harper playing one away match (Birmingham?) when his sole method of distribution was to kick it long to Noone, thereby instantly giving away possession.

Casper isn't brilliant, but I think some are getting above themselves in terms of expectations. This season was surely one of consolidation rather than a major promotion push,it certainly is far more enjoyable than our last four seasons in this division.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I recall Harper playing one away match (Birmingham?) when his sole method of distribution was to kick it long to Noone, thereby instantly giving away possession.

Casper isn't brilliant, but I think some are getting above themselves in terms of expectations. This season was surely one of consolidation rather than a major promotion push,it certainly is far more enjoyable than our last four seasons in this division.

Agree with this . Harper single handidly made us the most direct we have played under gp

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
When we had Harper in the team EVERYBODY, the players, the crowd and especially myself felt more confident. A one off can be forgiven but game after game after game? He most definitely needs replacing, in January if possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here