Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It annoys me. I just don't see the point in doing it with,
a) fifteen minutes still to play and
b) a three goal cushion

Before anyone gets on their high horse and tells me they understand our game plan better than I do, I'll be the first to admit that I DO get the role of Ankergren in passing it around the back four, and I DO understand how that helps us to break teams down. But we were 4-1 up, Hartlepool had three men upfront and we looked like tearing them to shreds everytime we went forward. What is the point in wasting time at this stage? May as well have boosted the goal difference, or at least made an attempt to. They were never a threat of getting back into the game.

So you'd advocate hoofing the ball up field and losing possession instead of crusing to victory by retaining possession and also using less energy?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
For those who moan about it, have you ever thought through WHY he does it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It annoys me. I just don't see the point in doing it with,
a) fifteen minutes still to play and
b) a three goal cushion

Before anyone gets on their high horse and tells me they understand our game plan better than I do, I'll be the first to admit that I DO get the role of Ankergren in passing it around the back four, and I DO understand how that helps us to break teams down. But we were 4-1 up, Hartlepool had three men upfront and we looked like tearing them to shreds everytime we went forward. What is the point in wasting time at this stage? May as well have boosted the goal difference, or at least made an attempt to. They were never a threat of getting back into the game.

Its just WHAT WE DO. We were doing the same at 0-0, 1-0, 2-0. Its our style of play, thats how we roll.

Sure we dropped off a bit in the last 15, but the game was won and we were STILL creating opportunities late on with the slow build-up from the back, Glenn should certainly have completed his hattrick. Why do you want us to speed up and go gung-ho ?

Christ up a stick, there really really is no pleasing some people is there. "Boo hoo, it was only 4-1, why didn't we get 6 ?"

:facepalm:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
So you'd advocate hoofing the ball up field and losing possession instead of crusing to victory by retaining possession and also using less energy?

But he does hoof it anyway! Only on one occassion did he give it to Calderon after drawing the attacker (which I'm all for by the way) and we actually made something of it. Every other time he gave it to a defender, we'd already been well closed down and the ball ended up with Ankergren, and resulted with the ball either being sliced out of play or upfield.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
But he does hoof it anyway! Only on one occassion did he give it to Calderon after drawing the attacker (which I'm all for by the way) and we actually made something of it. Every other time he gave it to a defender, we'd already been well closed down and the ball ended up with Ankergren, and resulted with the ball either being sliced out of play or upfield.

He doesn't hoof it all the time- sometimes it starts a flowing move which usually results in an opportunity. And sometimes, yes, he does hoof it. But that means we have retained possession for longer so the opposition can create less opportunities, and we were 4-1 up so we didn't need to go onto the offensive...

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Its just WHAT WE DO. We were doing the same at 0-0, 1-0, 2-0. Its our style of play, thats how we roll.

Sure we dropped off a bit in the last 15, but the game was won and we were STILL creating opportunities late on with the slow build-up from the back, Glenn should certainly have completed his hattrick. Why do you want us to speed up and go gung-ho ?

Christ up a stick, there really really is no pleasing some people is there. "Boo hoo, it was only 4-1, why didn't we get 6 ?"

:facepalm:

Re-read my first post, if you had done that you would recognise that I appreciate it's 'what we do'.

We weren't really creating opportunities, I can think of Murray's shot into the side netting and Chris Holroyd's slice after the fourth goal. I get that the build up was slower, but it didn't need to be.

Never did I say I wanted us to speed up, I just didn't think it was necessary to slow down to such a degree that we were time wasting with fifteen minutes to go. And it IS time wasting. It's not just Ankergren waiting ages for an attacker to come to him before diving on the ball, it's the goal kicks he takes ages to take too. Face it, the sole intention of Ankergren when doing this was to run down the clock rather than to attack.

Oh, and marvellous quote at the end there, yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Why wasn't Gary Hart brought on either?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Utter gubbins.
Sometimes it was kicked upfield (as murray was winning most things in the air), and sometimes it was played out to Calde or Greer for them to work it through midfield. He sliced ONE clearance out of play, the rest of the time we were winning our fair share from his kicks. We mix it up, it means we're unpredictable.

Clearly this style of play doesn't work for you, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this afternoons thrashing. I'm afraid it really, REALLY doesn't get much better than this though - honestly, seriously...it won't.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Utter gubbins.
Sometimes it was kicked upfield (as murray was winning most things in the air), and sometimes it was played out to Calde or Greer for them to work it through midfield. He sliced ONE clearance out of play, the rest of the time we were winning our fair share from his kicks. We mix it up, it means we're unpredictable.

Clearly this style of play doesn't work for you though, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this afternoons thrashing. I'm afraid it really, REALLY doesn't get much better than this though - honestly, seriously...it won't.

Learn to read, never have I even got close to saying I was disappointed with the performance. Idiot.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Fair enough if it's a few minutes to go and we're holding out for a much need point or 3, but with 20 odd minutes to go it got really f***ing annoying and I'm starting to get bored of it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Fair enough if it's a few minutes to go and we're holding out for a much need point or 3, but with 20 odd minutes to go it got really f***ing annoying and I'm starting to get bored of it.

What do you suggest we do then? Go all out attack and go for 10 :facepalm:. No seriously, I'm sure Poyet would really appreciate your tactical advice...

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What do you suggest we do then? Go all out attack and go for 10 :facepalm:. No seriously, I'm sure Poyet would really appreciate your tactical advice...

Don't twist my f***ing words, I just wished we carried on playing the way we were instead of going ultra defensive for 20 minutes, If you were there you would've noticed how many people left in the last 10 minutes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Learn to read, never have I even got close to saying I was disappointed with the performance. Idiot.

No, you're just whining about the team not going all-out for 5,6,7 goals when the game is already won. We didn't NEED to hurry things along, and we're too damn good for goal difference to become a factor this season anyway. We scored 4 at a canter and apparently this is STILL not good enough. Pathetic.

You don't deserve to watch this team.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Don't twist my f***ing words, I just wished we carried on playing the way we were instead of going ultra defensive for 20 minutes, If you were there you would've noticed how many people left in the last 10 minutes.

I don't think they left because they found the last 20 minutes "really f***ing annoying" I think they left because they knew we had won and they wanted to beat the rush. I don't see how I twisted your words either?!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Yes this winning comfortably with 30 mins left is just soooooooooooo boring. Go follow Eastbourne Borough.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Having played football amatuer,there is nothing more frustrating than the keeper taking the piss,and having to close keeper down all the time,more frustration = lack of concentration on your game, so, keep it up all he wants i say.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
We're not talking about that, we're talking about Ankergren trying to use up as much time as humanly possible over everything in the last 20 mins or so.

And what exactly should he do then? Boot it up field as soon as possible? You'd probably f***ing moan at that too. Get a grip for fucks sake. You are lucky enough to be watching the best football in league 1- just enjoy it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here