Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Bring in Ernest

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Icy Gull said:
All you antis are so f***ing precious. He tells it as he sees it, you don't have to agree but some of the commentsl about him on this thread are just plain pathetic. He's not the anti christ :nono:

exactomundo

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Icy Gull said:
John Vinnicombe was a club apologist and not very good because of it, just imo like and was reguarly quite late out of hospitality, allegedly

Have to agree with that. I often wondered whether I had been at the same match as dear old Vinners. I don't have a problem with Naylor's not being an Albion fan. I have no quarrel either with his match reports, which, even if dull, have always struck me as being pretty objective and accurate. As an exile, I quite like the amount of detail he provides on incidents in a match. Where he does rub me up the wrong way is when he tries more analytical pieces. As others have said, you can't escape the feeling then that he is following his own agenda and trying to undermine the club in a none too subtle way.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
What is his evil agenda? ???

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
kestrel said:
None just doing his job.He has to help sell the paper

Wow, what a rotter. :angry:

Heaven forbid anyone should ever say something beastly about a football club. Either in the local paper. Or here. But especially in the local paper. How dare he...

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
roz said:
I think it's a far healthier situation if senior sports reporters aren't fans of the team they report on. I'm not saying this will guarantee objectivity but it doesn't half help.

I agree with that 100%. I still remember the days of John Vinicombe: Albion through and through but a terrible journalist and a club sycophant to boot.

I can't be bothered to wade through any more pages of this as it will be full of the anti-Naylor crowd having a pop. I think he's pretty good: his reports are accurate and he writes with some style. It's not easy writing about the same team week after week and not saying the same thing over and over - Naylor does a good job.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
SussexSpur said:
What is his evil agenda? ???

OK, "evil agenda" is probably putting it too strongly. But I sense that it has got personal since McGhee's sacking and that some objectivity has been lost as a consequence. It wouldn't be the first time either. I recall a gushing piece Naylor wrote 6 or or 7 years ago about would-be investor in the club, Stephen Purdew (sp?). Given the Albion's recent history, a healthy dose of scepticism wouldn't have gone amiss in that case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here