Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor Spot on

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
You have to accept the quality of the league we are in. Lots of teams go through good and bad runs. It happend a lot last season. Remember Watford went on a great run before chirstmas and then flopped down. Palace are currently on a good run, I'm sure that'll come to an end too. It's a very tight league. I think we should appriciate the current lads a bit more. People just seem to expect instant gratification.

Not so sure Palace will fall away.
There home form has been good for a long time.
The fact they have managed to turn around their feeble away form can only be good news for them.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I think that we need to call a halt to the negativity,
When you say all I take it you mean a few dozen on here, and a handful of regulars on the Argus forum?

Take that against the 18,000 of us there last night, and the many fans around the world, I think the moaners are in a very small minority.

Let them moan, who really gives a f***?

TB

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
When you say all I take it you mean a few dozen on here, and a handful of regulars on the Argus forum?

Take that against the 18,000 of us there last night, and the many fans around the world, I think the moaners are in a very small minority.

Let them moan, who really gives a f***?

TB

Seconded!!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm guessing he means people at the ground as the number of people moaning about the results on NSC is miniscule. There have been about four or five on here today, everybody else, whilst not exactly turning cartwheels at our current slump, is broadly happy with where we are.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
spot on mid table will be fie with me as long as we continue to play football and not what west ham were playing

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm guessing he means people at the ground as the number of people moaning about the results on NSC is miniscule. There have been about four or five on here today, everybody else, whilst not exactly turning cartwheels at our current slump, is broadly happy with where we are.

Exactly

win at home to barnsley and coventry, draw at watford and people might even forgive a defeat against saints and birmingham

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I think some people need to calm down.

Some think everything is fantastic and go mental if someone dares to discuss tactics and player selection sometimes being wrong.

There are others (including me) who think everything is great and we will be going places but can also see where we go wrong and are happy to comment on it.

And then there are those who think we are going to be relegated next week or want to hang a player out for making one miss placed pass.

A bit of realism with constructive critism is the sensible path IMHO

Be that as it may, our recent form in the last 7 games is DISMAL. LDLLDDL. 3 points from the last 21. I think we are right to be dissatisfield with that.

If you like - £20 per fortnight's worth of disappointment, but the most entertaining football in my 51 years of watching the Albion.
At the end it comes down to objectives:
Short term - no capital/infrastructure investment, irresponsible revenue expenditure>income and being "subsidised" by the chairman/board/shareholders (both as under Bamber and beyond). Not even a successful business strategy, even in concept.
Long term - Financially secure the club/business, construct new stadium and associated facilities, consolidate on the playing side and when you're ready have a serious stab at promotion. We clearly not ready atm, the squad doesn't have enough options/ability in certain postions; one might be classified as partially self-inflicted, others have been evident since the Doncaster game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Shame we had such a good start really.We flattered to deceive and were not as good as some thought we were.Now reality has set in and we have had a poor run,of course we are going to have moaners.It is in the psyche of your average fickle football fan.16 points from 18 and then 3 from 21,what do people expect!
The moaners,right or wrong are quite entitled to their views and yes ,emotions run high amongst many fans..........arguments and points made are often exaggerated on the positive or negative side.
Yup,we have come a long way,but 20,000 people are never going to be in complete agreement about anything.It doesn't really matter and imho is better than total indifference!Not enough people caring(even if misguided at times) is what can kill off a club!

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
The opening quote in this thread isn't from Naylor but a poster, Guest. Naylor does, no surprise, take issue with nigh on every concern made about the Albion to label people moaners or fickle.

While some are perhaps silly and offensive about it, there are problems that Gus needs to address. How many games without a win do we need before realising this or it being acceptable and no act of treason to say so? I don't really see why it is ergo moaning or fickle to say so.

Can one not appreciate, value, admire where we have come from under Poyet, still think he is brilliant and the man for the job, realise how lucky we are to have him, and be 100% behind him and the team without stating one or two concerns? What a sad day. How sanitised can supporting and reporting on football become?

We should all be looking to improve the side, its performances and results, Bloom, Gus, the players and the supporters. We should all be engaged in the process and part of it, especially at a club like Brighton & Hove Albion. I don't mean Gus should even listen to us, he's the professional, just that we have a right and a duty even to voice opinions.

I felt West Ham did a job on us, squeezing us in midfield, which made it hard to pass through midfield and led to a fair few fruitless long balls as the options had been closed down. However, I felt the central defenders and Liam could have been quicker to start attacks. Indeed, I feel there is too much onus on Bridcutt to come short and get the ball off the back four. Perhaps if other midfielders did this more often it would pull the opposition a little out of their positions/comfort zones and give them something else to think about, and make it less easy to target Bridcutt, which I felt was a tactic of theirs early on. This may have helped to break the shackles early on. Rather than what was predictable and easily dealt with play from us in the first 30 mins.

There are lots of other things I felt could have been better last night and a good few positives too, esp in the last 10 mins of the first and in the second. What I've said above may be complete tosh, a miserable attempt at analysing an aspect of play, an affront to anyone who knows anything about football. But saying it doesn't mean I'm moaning or fickle or disloyal to Gus, the club, programme sellers, my dad who first took me to the Albion in the very early 70s and my fellow seagulls through the ages. It's simply that its my club, We have been through a lot together and I am engaged and passionate about us winning and being as good as we can.

I don't pretend to have the answers or the sauce or football acumen to think Poyet can learn anything from me. But, quite honestly, it is insulting and a little tiring to hear the moaner/fickle jibe being brought out by Naylor and others anytime there is a concern or hell's bells a criticism of the team.

We are seagulls not sheep. We are also not Barcelona and not perfect or beyond questioning. I'm very happy with the first 1/4 of the season, feel blessed even, but we didn't look like scoring even if we played til midnight. Credit to West ham, but could we have done something different? It's exciting and part of being a football fan to think of how.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You have to accept the quality of the league we are in. Lots of teams go through good and bad runs. It happend a lot last season. Remember Watford went on a great run before chirstmas and then flopped down. Palace are currently on a good run, I'm sure that'll come to an end too. It's a very tight league. I think we should appriciate the current lads a bit more. People just seem to expect instant gratification.

I have to say that is all stating the bleeding obvious, no offence. I accept the quality of the league, I accept teams have a bad set of results, I do appreciate the players, manager, coaching staff and backroom lads, board of directors and Chairman, I am not looking for gratification unless it comes in the shape of a 20 something size 10 fit blonde, blue eyed chick... and I accept that people want to moan about our current form!!! I have seen very little constructive from the moaners moaning about the moaners... just vitriol really. I also find it quite irritating that the moaners to the moaners also tend to get a huge net and throw all comments into it, whether it be constructive or a personal view that makes a modicum of sense. There is actually precious few that are being over the top in their posts showing disquiet. In fact most of the moaners of the moaners have done nothing but be abusive. So I shall say it again... get some perspective!

Not particularly aimed at anyone specific.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
IMO he's talking tosh and has no context to many of the comments made here, or elsewhere on the team/performance. We lost our way a bit, it's not the end of the world but having a view is perfectly OK - it's stirring and exaggerating in typical journalistic fashion I believe and I think he should have much broader reference points before making these generalisms

What is a "lot" how many is he suggesting?
Find me a thread where anyone suggests we should "win every game"
Is he questioning "fans", in the sense that they pretend to be but aren't? Odd given I don't believe he is one

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It was only 2 years ago we witnessed Russell Slade's hoofball along with Booker and White's coaching strategy that saw us drop into the League 1 relegation zone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well from my perspective the overwhelming feeling is that of frustration. Yes we have come a long way and shouldn't forget the past but the bar has been raised considerably. Last night I saw nothing in West Ham that makes me beleive they are 10 places better than us. The frustration is that I genuinely believe we are better than last nights result and for that matter a number of recent results. However, don't for one minute consider that any frustrations manifests itself in calling for Gus to go, far from it. We need to stick to the principles, get our best players on the pitch and the results will come.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Dont always agree with everything he says, but on today's Argus Q & A, he finished off with a comment that I totally endorse.......

As cattlin'srockshop has mentioned, it WASN'T Naylor that wrote that.
:facepalm:

What a waste of time this thread is.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I don't see "quality" in this league - I see the traditional British footballing values of physicality, height and pace, albeit cranked up to ridiculous proportions and with a bit of skill thrown in - and we're trying to do something different, turn that round on its head and it can/will be done when we get the balance right

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Some of our best years are ahead of us, which is good enough for me.

That can't be said about the scum from Selhurst, and that lot last night.

TB

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
In the Argus today, Naylor said that Harper had no chance of saving the goal, but in fact he may have got his fingers to it. Well everybody else saw that Harper was badly positioned and palmed the ball around where he thought the goalposts were.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In the Argus today, Naylor said that Harper had no chance of saving the goal, but in fact he may have got his fingers to it. Well everybody else saw that Harper was badly positioned and palmed the ball around where he thought the goalposts were.

Sorry are you for real. If it was his fingers it certainly won't be a case if palming anything. And do you really think he decided to so JUST enough to try and push the ball round some imaginary set of goals?

The reality is that bridcutt losing position where he did meant the keeper was out of position and although he got his finger tips to it there was never the hope of saving it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here