Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor: Fountain of Football Wisdom

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No the grief that a good young player valued and rated by Gus is getting on here is embarrassing

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Andy Naylor is actually even worse than NSC when it comes to only using the numbers between 6 and 8 in player ratings. I have never seen him award a 4 or lower, even when Tommy Fraser played for us.

Master Fraser's grandfather might have some bearing on that.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
When a journalist or anyone else gives a player a mark out of ten, it's OPINION. Nothing else. It's no more important or well informed than anyone else's opinion, it cannot be quantified scientifically, and ultimately it counts for nothing.

Why people get so worked up about player scores is beyond me. If they do nothing else they provide a talking point, which is part of Andy Naylor's job.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
BUT HE DIDNT SCORE DID HE. I don't want our supporting striker to make 2 saving tackles in his own box. He should leave that to whoever else should have been there. Fool.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Naylor's job is to do as he is told and write what he is told to by Newsquest Media. It is a simple as that.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
BUT HE DIDNT SCORE DID HE. I don't want our supporting striker to make 2 saving tackles in his own box. He should leave that to whoever else should have been there. Fool.

So you'd actually rather lose that have a stirker make a tackle? If he left it to the defence, we would have lost to Hull.

Gus' comment: “Players like Casper, Matt Sparrow and Ash (Ashley Barnes) knew how important it was for them to go and perform." seems to imply he was happy with Ash. As was I and if Gus rates Ashley Barnes, our 7-goal top scorer and all round team player, then who are we to argue? For me a 7/10 is correct.

PS. Rookie - Spot on.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So you'd actually rather lose that have a stirker make a tackle? If he left it to the defence, we would have lost to Hull.

Gus' comment: “Players like Casper, Matt Sparrow and Ash (Ashley Barnes) knew how important it was for them to go and perform." seems to imply he was happy with Ash. As was I and if Gus rates Ashley Barnes, our 7-goal top scorer and all round team player, then who are we to argue? For me a 7/10 is correct.

PS. Rookie - Spot on.

*woosh*

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not anti Barnes and last season was vocally supporting him .. this season I reckon he's struggled and can't find anything to compliment him in his "defensive qualities". He's looked all at sea and lightweight last 3/4 games and against Hull he missed 2 or 3 good opportunities and was pretty well invisible going forward. No better than 4/10

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not anti Barnes and last season was vocally supporting him .. this season I reckon he's struggled and can't find anything to compliment him in his "defensive qualities". He's looked all at sea and lightweight last 3/4 games and against Hull he missed 2 or 3 good opportunities and was pretty well invisible going forward. No better than 4/10

Agree, Andy Naylor was, in my opinion, generous.

Andy, as a journalist, gets a lot of stick but I've got a deal of time for him !

AB was frankly horrendous yesterday, he may have covered some ground, but, but whereas I have much supported him in the past, one wonders if he actually needs to have explained to him just what a football is !

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

I thought that was one of the things people were saying we are missing Murray for. And would you not expect someone being played as a midfielder to be back helping out his defence? If Barnes had not stepped in to send a cross for a corner in the first half, Hull would probably have scored. Sure, his performance was not terribly impressive (more a 5 or a 6 from me), and his confidence looked shot even when he went back up front, but it's not his fault if Gus chooses to play him out of position.

D

Deleted User X18H

It's all about peoples opinions isn't it. That is Naylors opinion he watched the game and marked the players accordingly as to what he felt each one was worth.

A lot of people felt Vicente was man of the match on Saturday but others including the sponsor felt it was Bridcutt.

Barnes got in postions to score three or four times and on Saturday and this occasion didn't . He still put himself about enought to worry Hull though.

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
On Vicente 'not always on the same wavelength as team-mates', no Andy, i think you will find his team-mates were not on the same wavelength as Vicente. If they were, we probably would have won. I dont usually like having a go but ffs, 2 out 5 for entertainment!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If Barnes was a 7 then God help us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here