Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor: Fountain of Football Wisdom

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't remember seeing anything lower than a five or six, ever.

I love the way the Observer/Guardian (I don't read other papers) is happy to dish out a 2/3/4 if they believe someone had a stinker.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
On Vicente 'not always on the same wavelength as team-mates', no Andy, i think you will find his team-mates were not on the same wavelength as Vicente. If they were, we probably would have won. I dont usually like having a go but ffs, 2 out 5 for entertainment!

So absolutely spot on there.

If hopefully we can keep up with Vicente, and learn from him, and GP and TB introduce one or two appropriate signings, we may go far.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sports journalist in opinion shocker.....jesus the Naylor bashing by some keyboard warriors on here is just plain pathetic

We all see the game different, I spent the journey home argueing over man of the match with my brother, son and Dad we all had different opinions.
And all valid ones at that, its all part of the match day fun.

Oct 17, 2011
Putting the record straight

Yes it is me! This thread was brought to my attention and I have come on here for the one and only time in the (probably) vain hope that people might just think a bit more before posting inaccurate and misleading thread titles and threads.
The player ratings for Saturday matches are by Brian Owen and Andy Naylor, hence the joint byline which appears under the ratings.
One week I do the back five and Brian the front six, the next week vice-versa. Brian is responsible for all the midweek ratings, when the deadline is much tighter for me.
Brian was looking after the front six on Saturday, not me. He awarded Ash a 7. Ratings are all about opinions and he is entitled to his, the same as
anyone else.
nomoremithras4me has given an inaccurate impression of what I wrote in yesterday's analysis in The Argus regarding Vicente. I did not say he was 'not always on the same wavelength as team-mates'.
Quite the reverse in fact. I wrote: "Not all the passes he tried came off. Sometimes it was his own fault, on other occasions he was thinking one step ahead of his team-mates."

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We all see the game different, I spent the journey home argueing over man of the match with my brother, son and Dad we all had different opinions.

Yes there were 3 or 4 candidates for MOM and that's been reflected on the various posts ... but if you go through the threads I think there's a fairly consistent, if not unanimous view that Barnes had a shocker

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yes it is me! This thread was brought to my attention and I have come on here for the one and only time in the (probably) vain hope that people might just think a bit more before posting inaccurate and misleading thread titles and threads.
The player ratings for Saturday matches are by Brian Owen and Andy Naylor, hence the joint byline which appears under the ratings.
One week I do the back five and Brian the front six, the next week vice-versa. Brian is responsible for all the midweek ratings, when the deadline is much tighter for me.
Brian was looking after the front six on Saturday, not me. He awarded Ash a 7. Ratings are all about opinions and he is entitled to his, the same as
anyone else.
nomoremithras4me has given an inaccurate impression of what I wrote in yesterday's analysis in The Argus regarding Vicente. I did not say he was 'not always on the same wavelength as team-mates'.
Quite the reverse in fact. I wrote: "Not all the passes he tried came off. Sometimes it was his own fault, on other occasions he was thinking one step ahead of his team-mates."[/QUOTE]

As I have tried to point out, thinking way ahead of most team-mates !

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ooh Mr Naylor!!!

For what it's worth I didn't think Barnes was too shabby. He certainly did a reasonable job when he dropped deep in the second half.

I would however like to see what Hoskins has to offer, do you think he will play tomorrow?

I think one of the reasons Barnes gets stick is they forget his age as he comes across and looks older. For him to have scored the goals he has at that age suggests he has a great career ahead of him.

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Hi Andy, can I ask a question?

Fair enough you defending a rating that wasn't yours, but why don't you ever give out anything than a 6 (or a 5 if the man is sent off). Even the Huddersfield 7-1 game didn't see you dish out any 2's or 3's.

What's the point in a scoring system that starts at 5 and ends at 9?

D

Deleted User X18H

Ooh Mr Naylor!!!

For what it's worth I didn't think Barnes was too shabby. He certainly did a reasonable job when he dropped deep in the second half.

I would however like to see what Hoskins has to offer, do you think he will play tomorrow?

I think one of the reasons Barnes gets stick is they forget his age as he comes across and looks older. For him to have scored the goals he has at that age suggests he has a great career ahead of him.

I don't think its him.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Apart from putting a couple over the bar Barnes didn't have too bad a game. He's done really well for us in the past & I'm sure he'll continue to do so in future.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Isn't Andy Naylor entitled to an opinion just like anyone else? He does a job and collects his pay packet like the rest of us, but the hysterical reaction and ridiculously thin skinned attitude of anyone who prints something in a paper or online that differs from the ideas of many OP's is pathetic.

The constant witch hunt of players, officials, management and anyone else vaguely connected with the Albion is an embarrassment.

The last time we were this high in the league after a quarter of the season was over 20 years ago, yet some act as if we have a divine right to win every match and a £60,000 signing from Plymouth's reserves should be shipped out if he has a few so-so games.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm looking for the day Fred Dinenage gets a roasting unooermissesly on this board and charges on here to defend himself. Or someone pretends to be him and another 48 pages of confusion and hate unfold.
Personally, i don't tend to read and follow this strange world of numbers jotted to signify quality. If any effort were put into it, there'd be many more 6.281s to deal with and 4.773s. Instead, we're left with a banal scoring system that says as little as the 9 words that often explain why that score was given by someone who i've never met and probably wouldn't want to.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
and a £60,000 signing from Plymouth's reserves should be shipped out if he has a few so-so games.

Shipped out? What I read (generally) is he played poorly and some want Hoskins to show what he can do. Not sure about the constant witch hunt either, yes there's a few extreme views but most here offer pretty balanced critique I think

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Isn't Andy Naylor entitled to an opinion just like anyone else? He does a job and collects his pay packet like the rest of us, but the hysterical reaction and ridiculously thin skinned attitude of anyone who prints something in a paper or online that differs from the ideas of many OP's is pathetic.

The constant witch hunt of players, officials, management and anyone else vaguely connected with the Albion is an embarrassment.

The last time we were this high in the league after a quarter of the season was over 20 years ago, yet some act as if we have a divine right to win every match and a £60,000 signing from Plymouth's reserves should be shipped out if he has a few so-so games.

Wouldn't disagree with that at all though consider that AB should not be 'entitled' to a start given his up and down form, especially Saturday, irrespective of where he is asked to start or what he is asked to do in a specific game. Think he needs to be given a break however.

I think Andy Naylor does a good job

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wouldn't disagree with that at all though consider that AB should not be 'entitled' to a start given his up and down form, especially Saturday, irrespective of where he is asked to start or what he is asked to do in a specific game. Think he needs to be given a break however.

I think Andy Naylor does a good job

Gus said that he could have dropped 7 or 8 Saturday and I suspect AB was in that group. I suspect that Gus gave him benefit of doubt and also kept him on because his covering play made up for his tendency to snatch at the ball in the box.

Hoskins is more of a flair player but Gus perhaps wanted Roundheads rather than Cavaliers to help stem the recent inability to keep a clean sheet. Dropping Noone and no place for KLL on Saturday further backs this up.

I like Andy Naylor, he gives a balanced viewpoint, if I want a report through blue and white striped glasses can come here instead.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I thought that was one of the things people were saying we are missing Murray for. And would you not expect someone being played as a midfielder to be back helping out his defence? If Barnes had not stepped in to send a cross for a corner in the first half, Hull would probably have scored. Sure, his performance was not terribly impressive (more a 5 or a 6 from me), and his confidence looked shot even when he went back up front, but it's not his fault if Gus chooses to play him out of position.

I was being sarcastic.
If he missed the CMS header he would have been crucified. I don't understand the witch hunt, he's a very good stupidly cheap young versitile player. Unless he scores he's shit, according to this board.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So you'd actually rather lose that have a stirker make a tackle? If he left it to the defence, we would have lost to Hull.

Gus' comment: “Players like Casper, Matt Sparrow and Ash (Ashley Barnes) knew how important it was for them to go and perform." seems to imply he was happy with Ash. As was I and if Gus rates Ashley Barnes, our 7-goal top scorer and all round team player, then who are we to argue? For me a 7/10 is correct.

PS. Rookie - Spot on.

Actually, what is interesting about that is that the article later indicated that Casper and Matt have earned another go, whereas Ash was strangely and tellingly absent from the latter list... read into that what you will, but I predict a start for Hoskins (and I'm not having a go at Ash, who is a great young player, but he has played poorly in the last several games)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that was one of the things people were saying we are missing Murray for. And would you not expect someone being played as a midfielder to be back helping out his defence? If Barnes had not stepped in to send a cross for a corner in the first half, Hull would probably have scored. Sure, his performance was not terribly impressive (more a 5 or a 6 from me), and his confidence looked shot even when he went back up front, but it's not his fault if Gus chooses to play him out of position.

I agree Gus has played him out of position, but to question Gus is dangerous on NSC...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here