Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. The progress Murray has made in this one year is unbelievable.

Yep, losing 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 to Nadal at Wimbledon in the Q/F was REALLY impressive, as were his two other straight set defeats to Nadal pre-US Open.

He's had a good couple of months, he's a good player, a very good player. But he ain't won f*** all yet.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Rusedski hit the World No.4 ranking back in 1997 after the final against Rafter US Open at the age of 24, however had a series of injurys and never really hit those heights again usually being ranked between 16th-70th in the world for the rest of his career until he retired two years ago. So don't get too carried away. Murray could do it but is still technically matched same achievements as Henman and Rusedski.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Yep, losing 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 to Nadal at Wimbledon in the Q/F was REALLY impressive, as were his two other straight set defeats to Nadal pre-US Open.

He's had a good couple of months, he's a good player, a very good player. But he ain't won f*** all yet.

Ill try this again. How many Masters Series Titles did Henman win in his career? How many has Murray won this year?

Pavilionaire has a point to a degree; Murray is currently just enjoying a particularly good run of form. The difference between him and Henman/Rusedski is that this run of good form has transformed him into the most on-form player in world tennis. Hence two masters tournaments, a majors final, and (at least) a semi final in the master cup. Henman was normally in great form for Wimbledon, and would get to the semis and lose to someone good, and only ever won one masters tournament. Murray has beaten ALL comers in recent months, including the current best player in the world, Nadal.

THAT is the difference.

While people do like to get over-excited by achievers, what's wrong with that? At least it's garnering him some support from the British public, which he's lacked in the past. Quite why people like Pavilionaire feel the need to play down his ability and achievements I don't quite know. Is it just because he isn't 'Tiger' Tim?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

So the only way he could have made impressive progress this year would be if he had BEATEN every top player on EVERY occasion, whilst picking up at LEAST one Grand Slam on the way? That's how you're making it sound! Believe it or not Nadal and Federer have both lost matches in straight sets this year as well.

Not quite sure what you're trying to claim here as we're completely beyond the Henman comparison, if you're picking out the fact that Murray lost a few matches to the world number one. The world number one who he has also beaten since, in arguably the most important match of the lot.

In comparison to last year, I think he's undoubtedly made impressive progress.

Also, if Murray is yet to win anything of any significance (as you seem to point out at the end of your post), how does that make Henman and Rudseski's career achievements appear?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Murray lost today. Not quite the finished article some seem to be claiming.

Am I surprised? Not in the slightest. His time will come though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I see Murray lost today. Not quite the finished article some seem to be claiming.

Am I surprised? Not in the slightest. His time will come though.

Name any poster who has said he is the finished article (or journalist) and I will send one pound to a charity of your choice. Come on put em up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's better than he used to be and he could be better in the future. I'm just unsure as to who has the rights to him ? The SNP may try to claim him as their own a bit like North Sea Oil and the deepfried Pizza/Mars Bar/ Cadburys Creme Egg.

Mind you, Every time I look at him, he looks Like Gash, Rab C Nesbitts elder son ....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He's better than he used to be and he could be better in the future. I'm just unsure as to who has the rights to him ? The SNP may try to claim him as their own a bit like North Sea Oil and the deepfried Pizza/Mars Bar/ Cadburys Creme Egg.

Mind you, Every time I look at him, he looks Like Gash, Rab C Nesbitts elder son ....

Once again you embarrass yourself with your xenophobic diatribe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here