Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Most people who criticise Murray, or don't like him (myself included) have certainly never questioned his abilities. I know he's a terrific player. He's just a tit, so I don't like him.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I don't agree with those saying that what Murray has achieved is the same as Henman and Rusedski. Henman and Rusedski between them won 2 masters series in their combined careers; the same number that Murray has already won. Comparing the number of 'career titles' is somewhat churlish given that Henman and Rusedski both played for around 10 years each and Murray has been playing for what, 4? Despite that, he's already won only 3 fewer than 'Tiger' Tim.

They also both were frequently over-shadowed by the eminent tennis players of their generation. Henman, particularly, struggled against Sampras, whereas Murray has a 4-2 record against Federer (although I think he has a 1-5 record against Nadal?).
Indeed. The progress Murray has made in this one year is unbelievable. And when you put it alongside what Henman and Greg achieved in their ENTIRE careers, you realise just how good he is at the age of 21.

I think it's safe to say if he keeps going at this rate (with 10 more years/40 more Grand Slams in him), he'll make Henman and Greg's career achievements look fairly standard by comparison. Not that they didn't have great careers, just Andy is showing clear signs that his will be THAT much better.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Made a major Final...something Henman never acheived

Nice try, but no. Henman made the final of the French Open in 2001(maybe?) and lost to someone. Definitely happened.

No wait, it didn't. My mistake! However:

In 2003 Henman took his first and only ATP Masters Series title, winning the Paris Masters against Andrei Pavel. Henman beat several players of exceptional calibre, including Nikolay Davydenko, Sébastien Grosjean, Gustavo Kuerten, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick on his way to the final, and only lost one set in the entire competition.

Last edited:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Nice try, but no. Henman made the final of the French Open in 2001(maybe?) and lost to someone. Definitely happened.

Congratulations TSB: You have been assigned Wycombe Wanderers as your second team. You must support them nearly as much as the Albion...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well dug out of that whole.

ps Henman and Rusedski never beat the top players....i cant remember Henman or Rusedski beating Sampras, Agassi, etc who were the top men at that time.

Firstly, Murray is NOT the 3rd best player in the world, as Murray is still twice as far behind Djokovic as Djokovic is behind Federer.

Re Henman, as late as Sep 04 Henman's head to head record vs Federer was 6-2 in Henman's favour. For 3 or 4 years he OWNED he guy who's dominated men's tennis over the last 6 years.

Lifetime, Henman was 2-2 with Agassi, beat Roddick 3-2, beat Ivanisevic 4-1. However, he was owned by Sampras and Hewitt.

Don't get me wrong, Murray is the best prospect we've had in my 40 years, but even by his own admission he's not yet bettered Tim or Greg, even if Tim begs to differ.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
At the tender age of 21, he is now beating Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Players that were relatively untouchable a short while ago. There is no point comparing him to Henman, as Henman has years on his side and was buzzing around the top ranks for a sustained period.

Murray is a classy player and has always been a classy player. He is maturing into a world beater and it should be a fun ride. It is not a question of will he win a major, more a question of WHEN will he win a major.

He is the form man at the moment and it is a shame that the season is closing. Next year could be very exciting.

The sceptics and doubters are looking a bit silly at the moment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The facts are that Murray's record vs Nadal is 1-5, Djokovic is 2-4, Davydenko 3-3, but he is up vs Federer and Roddick.

He's now equalled Henman's achievements and is getting his act together but his lifetime record vs the 3 men above him is 6-11.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At 22 Nadal is only one year older than Murray but is 12-6 vs Federer, 5-1 vs Murray and 10-4 vs Djokovic, so a combined 27-11 vs the rest of the Top 4. THAT is real quality.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Think he'll win the Masters Cup now, can't really see Davydenko putting up much of a fight in the semi-final. Surely he'll be world number 3 soon?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
At 22 Nadal is only one year older than Murray but is 12-6 vs Federer, 5-1 vs Murray and 10-4 vs Djokovic, so a combined 27-11 vs the rest of the Top 4. THAT is real quality.

Agreed, but Nadal progressed a lot quicker. Nadal has been around since 2002. Murray matched Nadal and has now beaten him. There is nothing to suggest that Murray can't improve on his record against him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here