Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In the last couple of months, he is finally looking like a truly world class act. Go on, admit it.

Currently one set all in the masters. Federer needs a win to qualify for the semis, but Murray is already through!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's cemeted his place in the world's top 4. A good achievement but, ultimately, hasn't done more than Tim/Greg managed. Yet.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's cemeted his place in the world's top 4. A good achievement but, ultimately, hasn't done more than Tim/Greg managed. Yet.

I disagree, i think he has already done more than Henman and Rusedski

He is currently the 3rd best player in the world ( he is better than Djorkovic he beats him regularly ) and closing fast on the the top 2 in my opinion.

Made a major Final...something Henman never acheived beating the No 1 player in the World on the way.

And is now beating Federer and Nadal.
Henman and Rusedski never challenged the top players like Murray does.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rusedski made the US Open final in 1997, so that's on a par with Murray. Secondly, Henman had 6 or 7 years mixing it at the top of the tree. Murray's had a good year.

People forget that Henman used to beat the top players fairly regularly too.

In order to be really considered the real deal he has to start winning tournament and beating Federer/Nadal regularly. I see Federer's broken back and it's back on serve...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I disagree, i think he has already done more than Henman and Rusedski
This debate will probably go away before the end of 2009. I expect him to reach more than one grand slam final before then, and probably win it.

He's had a good year, and he's getting better.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The facts are that both Rusedski and Henman got to the World's No 4 ranking. Rusedksi reached one major final. Rusedski won 15 ATP titles, Henman 11, Murray's won 8.

Therefore, he's reached their level but not exceeded it.

That said, he is only 21 and, barring a catastrophe, will go on to eclipse both Tim and Greg. But it remains to be seen whether he's got what it takes to be a champion.

He's just lost 4 games in a row and is now a break down in the final set. You can't get more 'Henman' than that!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm pleased to see Murray has won in a topsy-turvy final set. Good effort, that.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He is a truly TOP player, and I find him fantastic to watch .... despite not being much of a tennis fan. I love his approach, love his attitude, just a shame that whenever we get someone with a winners attitude it rubs a lot of the British public up the wrong way. Well not me, I think he's class.

I don't agree with those saying that what Murray has achieved is the same as Henman and Rusedski. Henman and Rusedski between them won 2 masters series in their combined careers; the same number that Murray has already won. Comparing the number of 'career titles' is somewhat churlish given that Henman and Rusedski both played for around 10 years each and Murray has been playing for what, 4? Despite that, he's already won only 3 fewer than 'Tiger' Tim.

They also both were frequently over-shadowed by the eminent tennis players of their generation. Henman, particularly, struggled against Sampras, whereas Murray has a 4-2 record against Federer (although I think he has a 1-5 record against Nadal?).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This debate will probably go away before the end of 2009. I expect him to reach more than one grand slam final before then, and probably win it.

He's had a good year, and he's getting better.

Not only that this time next year he will be on his way to being the best player of 2009 by winning the Masters Cup at the O2.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm pleased to see Murray has won in a topsy-turvy final set. Good effort, that.

Well dug out of that whole.

ps Henman and Rusedski never beat the top players....i cant remember Henman or Rusedski beating Sampras, Agassi, etc who were the top men at that time.

I don't agree with those saying that what Murray has achieved is the same as Henman and Rusedski. Henman and Rusedski between them won 2 masters series in their combined careers; the same number that Murray has already won. Comparing the number of 'career titles' is somewhat churlish given that Henman and Rusedski both played for around 10 years each and Murray has been playing for what, 4? Despite that, he's already won only 3 fewer than 'Tiger' Tim.

They also both were frequently over-shadowed by the eminent tennis players of their generation. Henman, particularly, struggled against Sampras, whereas Murray has a 4-2 record against Federer (although I think he has a 1-5 record against Nadal?).

Exactly

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well dug out of that whole.

ps Henman and Rusedski never beat the top players....i cant remember Henman or Rusedski beating Sampras, Agassi, etc who were the top men at that time.

He's won f*** ALL! Why is it the Brits always overreact to a bit of success?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
He's won f*** ALL! Why is it the Brits always overreact to a bit of success?

How many Masters Series Titles did Henman win? How many has Murray won this year? How many times did Henman get to a Grand Slam Final? How many has Murray got to? Compare Murray's record against the top players against Henmans. Tim would win the easy games (sometimes) then regularly get defeated in the quarters or semis. With Murray you almost expect him to beat Djokovic, Federer and to a lesser extent Nadal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here