Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Gray on Sky sports.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't really care what the pundits say, I can work it out myself thanks very much. I like Andy Gray though because he does always impart this sense that the game you're watching is the most important game ever in the history of football, and I quite like that enthusiasm!

What has he done to get this thread, anyway?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Wow, what a misguided threat. Andy Gray remains the best pundit around. Nothing controversial for attention, nothing wildly exaggerated, just proper analysis. He uses too many machines, granted, but he is the best pundit around for me and makes people like Claridge look even worse than they make themselves look.

Wow, what a misguided opinion. Have you seen him on CL nights? Anything that doesn't involve a Premier League team or former Premier League players and he has no idea whatsoever. The fellow that asked the commentator if away goals count before or after extra time is the best pundit around? In your view, maybe.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Nothing like a bit of over-analysis and Andy Gray does it perfectly. The amount of times he tells us a player meant this or that and the movement, blah, blah, bore... when in essence the player has probably no idea he has done what Andy Gray said he had. Too much, get him off my tv!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Take a bow son

...and piss off

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Personally theres no better co-commentator for me. Just love the enthusiasm. Goes over the top and over analytical when he's in the studio with Richard Keys though.

Does anyone ever wonder how AG and also Hanson would get on if they became managers? The scotch talk a good game but are shit at playing it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No better co-commentator ? Oh do me a favour. A couple of years ago when Liverpool were getting turned over in Italy by Fiorentina in the Champions League, I remember him comiing out with this pearler:

"Its not just Liverpool they're beating here - its a PREMIER LEAGUE side they're beating here"

:facepalm:
Struth. Its toe-curling isn't it ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Gary O'Reilly - super co-commentator and ex-Albion to boot.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Wow, what a misguided threat. Andy Gray remains the best pundit around. Nothing controversial for attention, nothing wildly exaggerated, just proper analysis. He uses too many machines, granted, but he is the best pundit around for me and makes people like Claridge look even worse than they make themselves look.

i think they do go a bit overboard on MNF (Monday Night Football) with the huge touchscreen projector. still think he is a good pundit though and i enjoy 'the last word' on Sunday evenings

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Greaty pundit, love the fact he and Keysey don't take themselves too seriously and the banter that's flying around with Jamie in the studio as well.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
used to love Andy Gray at the birth of Sky football but now he seems to take himself a bit too seriously, and uses the word "hugely" every few sentences which really winds me up! Probably still the best of a poor bunch though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
just proper analysis.

Over analysis is his problem. I once listened to him blather on about how numerous players had cunningly and brilliantly run this way and that and how it had made the 'keeper fumble. All I could muster after his overly verbose wisdom and insight was a 'maybe.' The idea that the 'keeper might have simply fumbled the ball did not seem to enter his head.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to Sky in trying to make football analysis more relevant to the outcomes of matches, because up until now there has been a lack of meaningful data.

Take last night's match - for example. City 67% possession to Everton's 33% - meaningless. City 25 shots to Everton's 4 - meaningless. Ditto with yellow cards. These stats do NOT shape the outcome of matches. Other irrelevances are kilometres covered by individual players, pass completion ratio etc. What does it matter whether Robbie Savage ran 12 kilometres or Dimitar Berbatov ran 3??

What Sky DID do well before kick-off was highlight the fact in the last 2 matches between the teams Cahill scored with a header and Everton had gone on to win. What happened? Exactly that again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here