Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Android challenges Siri and wipes the floor with it

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now, I'm hovering over 'buy it now' on a brand new iphone 4s contract free deal, £400. I've had my 3GS for 2 years now, I deserve it. If I don't do it now the money will end up being spent on food or petrol or something equally as boring. My question, Shall I do it?

If you're not fussed, get the 4s, else wait for the new iPhone

Bozza is 100% correct in everything he has said.

Apple are more expensive than rival products. Why? Because they do not cut corners. All components and materials used in Apple products are the best available. Not the cheapest as found with many rivals. Each new product designed is an opportunity for Apple to scout the world for the best screws, SSD's, buttons for keyboards. Everything. And after testing them to death, they will use the best components and materials.

I don't agree with this. All too often their lower down the line computers use old and dated components.

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
I don't agree with this. All too often their lower down the line computers use old and dated components.

Lower down the line? Explain to me how any current version of the MacBook pro or the MacBook air is considered lower down the line?

Think you're getting yourself confused with a Apple computer from a previous year, in which case yes the previous model would have older "dated" parts.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Tycoon you are either a massive apple fanboy or a massive wind up merchant. Either way this has made for entertaining reading :D

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Lower down the line? Explain to me how any current version of the MacBook pro or the MacBook air is considered lower down the line?

Think you're getting yourself confused with a Apple computer from a previous year, in which case yes the previous model would have older "dated" parts.

You're right. I must be getting confused. As are the hundreds of people discussing the use of lower end components on Apple forums, such as Mac Rumors. It wasn't too long ago that they were shipping computers with core-2-duo processors when PCs and even laptops running Windoze were using i3 and upwards. Apple citing that their OS was so advanced it didn't need better components to run it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Any fucker that deems it acceptable to talk to their phone can f*** off.

'Play some Daft Punk'. f*** OFF YOU DINNY COW.

Yoda

English & European
Not to many it won't, no.

The vast majority of Android users are not running the current version of Android (4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich). 93% of Android users are still running older versions of Android.
[/url]

I feel privileged then with mine on 4.0.4. Cannot wait for 5.0.1. (And I've had my phone for nearly a year now. :p)

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
You're right. I must be getting confused. As are the hundreds of people discussing the use of lower end components on Apple forums, such as Mac Rumors. It wasn't too long ago that they were shipping computers with core-2-duo processors when PCs and even laptops running Windoze were using i3 and upwards. Apple citing that their OS was so advanced it didn't need better components to run it.

You've just confirmed you're talking about Apple products from previous generations. Since the Intel i-series processors came out the MacBook Pro series has used i5 and i7 processors across the 15" and higher range. They kept the 2-duo chip in the 13" MacBook until they ceased to make them and for the first generation of 13" MacBook pro's did the same before moving them onto the i-series too. Processor options isn't really what I was talking about in terms of components. Which I thought i'd made fairly clear.

Last edited:

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
You've just confirmed you're talking about Apple products from previous generations. Since the Intel i-series processors came out the MacBook Pro series has used i5 and i7 processors across the 15" and higher range. They kept the 2-duo chip in the 13" MacBook until they ceased to make them and for the first generation of 13" MacBook pro's did the same before moving them onto the i-series too. Processor options isn't really what I was talking about in terms of components. Which I thought i'd made fairly clear.

I'll be honest I've not looked too much into the new Macbook Pro's. I just know at the time I bought the iMac (a couple of years ago) there were a lot of grumblings by the Mac community that Apple were again using lesser components than in PCs. And it seemed to be a common complaint amongst users, but I guess this has changed since closing down the Macbook line.

I know my iMac wasn't as highly specified as it could be, and even something simple like upgrading the RAM was going to cost an astronomical amount in comparison to what I needed.

Nice to hear they've finally decided to use quality components and whilst on the subject of processors I see they're using the Ivy Bridge from Intel. Once thing I did see is that the lesser Pro has: '2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache' -- where they say 'turbo boost' what does this actually mean?

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
I'll be honest I've not looked too much into the new Macbook Pro's. I just know at the time I bought the iMac (a couple of years ago) there were a lot of grumblings by the Mac community that Apple were again using lesser components than in PCs. And it seemed to be a common complaint amongst users, but I guess this has changed since closing down the Macbook line.

I know my iMac wasn't as highly specified as it could be, and even something simple like upgrading the RAM was going to cost an astronomical amount in comparison to what I needed.

Nice to hear they've finally decided to use quality components and whilst on the subject of processors I see they're using the Ivy Bridge from Intel. Once thing I did see is that the lesser Pro has: '2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache' -- where they say 'turbo boost' what does this actually mean?

May have been the case with iMac's a fair few years ago, I didnt have too much to do with them more the laptops but since the iPhone Apple seemed to pick up the quality of their products across the board and they are reaping the rewards looking at Apple sales versus Windows in the computer market.

The biggest expense for a RAM upgrade was the admittedly stupid fees Apple would charge for an installation a trained monkey can do.

Without going into a Salesman like rant it basically allows the processor the exceed 100% for a limited time when it needs to provide a higher level of performance. I'd recommend googling intel though as their is a LOT of information. Very interesting in the nerdiest way possible but it shows just how powerful processors are becoming.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Without going into a Salesman like rant it basically allows the processor the exceed 100% for a limited time when it needs to provide a higher level of performance. I'd recommend googling intel though as their is a LOT of information. Very interesting in the nerdiest way possible but it shows just how powerful processors are becoming.

it is interesting how marketing can spin something mundane and years old into a new "feature". they've been doing it for years the other way, stepping down the speed when the CPU is under light load.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You're basing your argument on Mac Rumours and other Apple forums!? That would be like looking NSC and deriving facts about the Albion.....???

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For the record, I bought an iphone 4S off contract for £410. Giffgaff all the way, bargain! It arrives tomorrow :)

Scalpel at the ready to cut that sim down to size!

I've got GG on the 4S, and no problems at all. Use the libon voicemail app instead of the visual voicemail. Siri is shit though. I can't defend that. The camera is brilliant.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Scalpel at the ready to cut that sim down to size!

I've got GG on the 4S, and no problems at all. Use the libon voicemail app instead of the visual voicemail. Siri is shit though. I can't defend that. The camera is brilliant.

Lol i'm playing with it right now, for sending texts and emails siri is amazing, works perfectly every time! Keeps telling me it can only search for business in the united states, can i change this? as for cutting sim down, how did you do it? did you have a guide?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Siri in iOS 5 only does US stuff for locationy things so, no, you can't change that.

I just kept trimming my GiffGaff SIM with scissors and got there in the end. Their site does feature a guide and a template if you want to play safe.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Siri in iOS 5 only does US stuff for locationy things so, no, you can't change that.

I just kept trimming my GiffGaff SIM with scissors and got there in the end. Their site does feature a guide and a template if you want to play safe.

So you had to f*** around for hours of your life and still ended up with a shit result? Dont feel bad i used siri in the states for us location search and the results were hilarious bad.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lol i'm playing with it right now, for sending texts and emails siri is amazing, works perfectly every time! Keeps telling me it can only search for business in the united states, can i change this? as for cutting sim down, how did you do it? did you have a guide?

Yep, I printed the guide out, double sided sticky taped it to the sim, then trimmed it with a scalpel, I reckon a sharp stanley knife would do just as well. Didn't want to risk scissors, but Bozza sounds like he didn't have any problems.

Have you tried calling Siri any names yet? Quite funny.

Perhaps my Siri doesn't like me, the texts it transcribes are, lets say interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here