Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andriod

killer miller

Apr 25, 2011
Bexhill-on-sea
I cant afford to get the iphone 4 so was thinking Samsung galaxy S 2. The contract gives me 500mb and i was just wondering if you have to pay for android per month or is it free within that 500mb as its on line. As blackberry charge for there internet.
Thanks

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
You will get 500mb of data included then a charge per mega byte after that. If you don't download music/films then you should easily stay within that. Android is no different to any other phone platform in this respect, it's all to do with your contract with the network provider i.e. O2, Vodafone etc.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
just got one myself today as couldnt afford an iphone, got a 750mb package so hopefully will be ok. good tip, rather then using the 500mb allowance, when indoors use wifi or if there is free wifi out in places you go as this will not then take from your allowance

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You will get 500mb of data included then a charge per mega byte after that. If you don't download music/films then you should easily stay within that. Android is no different to any other phone platform in this respect, it's all to do with your contract with the network provider i.e. O2, Vodafone etc.
I seem to go well over 500mb every month and don't download films etc. I have concluded it must be the sideload of emails I POP...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
3g watchdog is a really useful app for tracking this. You even have the option to disable data services when you reach your threshold.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I seem to go well over 500mb every month and don't download films etc. I have concluded it must be the sideload of emails I POP...

Try using IMAP instead - it should reduce your useage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You can download Mini Opera browser which is not a bad browser but importantly reduces data usage as it compresses it before downloading.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Also, don't be too indiscriminate with downloading "free" apps. Most Android "free" apps seem to include ads, so they will add to your data usage. Some of them may even carry on downloading ads in the background while your phone is idle. Too many apps like that, and you'll soon find iteating up your data allowance!

killer miller

Apr 25, 2011
Bexhill-on-sea
Also, don't be too indiscriminate with downloading "free" apps. Most Android "free" apps seem to include ads, so they will add to your data usage. Some of them may even carry on downloading ads in the background while your phone is idle. Too many apps like that, and you'll soon find iteating up your data allowance!

Okay thanks can you tell if they have adverts so you can then delete?

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Okay thanks can you tell if they have adverts so you can then delete?

If you read the descriptions in Marketplace, it often (but not always) tells you. As you opt to install, MarketPlace also tells you what privileges the app will request (eg, update phone configuration settings, read and delete from SD card, full internet access, access account details...), before you confirm the install. Watch out for too long a list, and access that you don't think it should need for what you intend it to do.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

One thing you can do is turn off the mobile data connection when you are not using the internet or relevant app. Problem solved.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2011
Another question re 3G i recently got an Iphone, and notice that sometimes the 3G Icon is repleced with an E, is this another network?, If I do any thing when this is displeyed does that come off my normal 3G Usage or am I charged separetly?

I have also noticed in some restuarants there is "free wireless" using the cloud. My phone seems to connect to the WIFI in the settings but still displays 3G on the main display, any ideas why this may be so?

Another question re 3G i recently got an Iphone, and notice that sometimes the 3G Icon is repleced with an E, is this another network?, If I do any thing when this is displeyed does that come off my normal 3G Usage or am I charged separetly?

E stands for Edge. It is about 2.5G. Somewhere inbetween GPRS and 3G for speed. Data transmitted over Edge will deduct from your data allowance just like 3G/GPRS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Just ensure 'Background data' is always, ALWAYS switched off except when you actually want to use it (ie when downloading apps).

It is the single biggest "idle" drain on the battery. If you leave it activated all the time, your battery will be shot to shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here