Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So that’s Sima coming back injured, Andone coming back with a bad attitude, to add to the ‘won a prize to be a PL player’ Dutch DJ, a Championship level Irishman, and an almost permanently injured ex England international. God we’re rubbish at strikers.

Dont want to be the guy to stamp down on your optimism and positivity but the bloke actually cost a lot of money...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I may be alone in this, but I have some sympathy for Andone. I think on a number of occasions he has let himself down. I suspect this has often been due to frustration at his own form, I know many disagree.

Anyone who saw him play pre-season could see he was a long way off the fitness and form of his prime and that he had a long, slow and maybe unsuccessful journey back to form and fitness. It seems that expectation in Spain were that he would be able to pick up where he was when he left Spain and that was unrealistic.

I hope he can find another move and start to enjoy his football again. he could do with an upturn in fortune after a long run of injuries and setbacks.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's not entirely right in the old mind tank. It isn't just naturalist TV presenters and university lecturerers who are 'on the spectrum'. I suspect it is even easier for such issues to go undiagnosed, or put down to 'attitude', in football. Alas we shall probably never know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dont want to be the guy to stamp down on your optimism and positivity but the bloke actually cost a lot of money...

Ultimately the clubs recruitment biggest failure of the Amex era. All in all a £30M mistake

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

And sadly his biggest problem seems to be attitude and work rate rather than his ability

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And sadly his biggest problem seems to be attitude and work rate rather than his ability

I disagree.

His problem is his lack of quality. He is not as shite as some think he is - could score ten or so goals in a lot of decent leagues - but never has been and never will be a good player at the top, top level (like the PL).

Could see it all along when he was at PSV. They have a great tradition of strikers... Romario, Ronaldo, Luc Nilis, van Nistelrooy, Gudjohnsen, Depay... list goes on. For a long time they really hoped Locadia would be in that category as he was very promising when he was 16-17. But it never happened. Year out and year in people were hoping for his breakthrough but it was evident after a few years that it was never going to happen.

While his goal record in PSV isnt exactly poor, it is below what you could expect from a striker in a Dutch top team. With the service and the way they dominated, a PL ready striker would have scored at least 15-20 goals per season for them. Locadia was usually nowhere near.

He was probably barely a top 10 striker in the Eredivisie when he left for Brighton. A dumb signing all along, no matter attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I disagree.

His problem is his lack of quality. He is not as shite as some think he is - could score ten or so goals in a lot of decent leagues - but never has been and never will be a good player at the top, top level (like the PL).

Could see it all along when he was at PSV. They have a great tradition of strikers... Romario, Ronaldo, Luc Nilis, van Nistelrooy, Gudjohnsen, Depay... list goes on. For a long time they really hoped Locadia would be in that category as he was very promising when he was 16-17. But it never happened. Year out and year in people were hoping for his breakthrough but it was evident after a few years that it was never going to happen.

While his goal record in PSV isnt exactly poor, it is below what you could expect from a striker in a Dutch top team. With the service and the way they dominated, a PL ready striker would have scored at least 15-20 goals per season for them. Locadia was usually nowhere near.

He was probably barely a top 10 striker in the Eredivisie when he left for Brighton. A dumb signing all along, no matter attitude.

Your prerogative, imo he has the ability to be a striker that is good enough for a club like Brighton. I am not expecting any of the players you mention to be running out in the stripes. With the right attitude and work rate he is plenty good enough for a club of our current level and better than any strikers current ability here other than Welbeck or Maupay. I do appreciate that you have a thing for Connolly but he is going the same way as Locadia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So that’s Sima coming back injured, Andone coming back with a bad attitude, to add to the ‘won a prize to be a PL player’ Dutch DJ, a Championship level Irishman, and an almost permanently injured ex England international. God we’re rubbish at strikers.

All in that's £25m spent.
An average of £5m a man. (Not Inc wages).

Got to wonder why this position is still being 'moneyballed' and how much more money will be wasted before the penny drops.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I disagree.

I think you called this right quite early on when appearing on NSC so quite how our scouting team fecked up quite so badly is really something/quite shocking.
edit - too many quites there!

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Possible twist in the matter

He’s just come on in the 55th minute against Seville

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not a lot but he was supposed to be out the door toot sweet

I’m wondering if contractually, they just can’t do it? Cadiz play on Thursday and Sunday so will really need to use their squad, if he gets more minutes in the next six days, I’d say that he is Cadiz’s for keeps for this season (and hopefully longer).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree.

A considered punt, paying over the odds because we had to at the time, but which didn't work out. :shrug:

Also, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], when do you think the penny should have dropped, and who should have done what to whom to fix things? A month into Locardia's contract, with the instant sacking of the recruitment team?

We aren't a very big club, but I think we are a bigger club than that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A considered punt, paying over the odds because we had to at the time, but which didn't work out. :shrug:

Also, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], when do you think the penny should have dropped, and who should have done what to whom to fix things? A month into Locardia's contract, with the instant sacking of the recruitment team?

Indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's easy to be wise after the event.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What incredibly odd, binary, unthought out comment, I expected better from you Hazza.

As Big Jurg was injured at the time, then from memory didn't play much for the rest of that season, I'd suggest the club didn't have to buy him, but they did anyway.

What they needed to do was look at how that signing happened and learn from it.

All over the pitch there are quite superb signings - why are you asking if the baby should be grown out too?

We have to assume the same applies to most of the players dotted around all the leagues.

What ever the issue is with strikers (money) the club just needs to get over itself and stop trying to be smarter than the average bear.

If that means ignoring 3 or 4 teenagers with promise playing in Borneo then so be it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What incredibly odd, binary, unthought out comment, I expected better from you Hazza.

As Big Jurg was injured at the time, then from memory didn't play much for the rest of that season, I'd suggest the club didn't have to buy him, but they did anyway.

What they needed to do was look at how that signing happened and learn from it.

All over the pitch there are quite superb signings - why are you asking if the baby should be grown out too?

We have to assume the same applies to most of the players dotted around all the leagues.

What ever the issue is with strikers (money) the club just needs to get over itself and stop trying to be smarter than the average bear.

If that means ignoring 3 or 4 teenagers with promise playing in Borneo then so be it.

What do you mean by this? Surely this is what the club has been doing to try and be 'smarter than the average bear'?

Aren't we scouring the lower leagues of the world to find a hidden gem. - Smarter than the average bear?

Surely not doing this would be getting into a bidding war for ell known wonderkid and paying ridiculous wages - what the average bear does?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here