Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the Wilkins excuses keep on coming

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely even Kuipers' most loyal fans must concede that he is not on form at the moment. CB- you say he's an 8/10 keeper currently playing at 6/10- would you not be suggesting of say a midfielder showing form below his ability that he was possibly in line for being dropped?

I won't go as far as blaming Kuipers for Saturday. Elphick and Butters lost their players for the first goal and the midfield can't have helped out much for the second.

But I confess I was slightly disappointed to see a shot from, what, twenty yards out and hit without massive pace wind up in the back of the net. The thing with Kuipers is, he's always been popular because he occasionally made saves that few other keepers would get close to. We forgave him his other deficiencies because of that. These days, he's not really making the unbelievable saves, which means every other flaw, no matter how small, is magnified.

He hasn't thrown in any goals this season, but I'm not entirely convinced the defence have 100% confidence in him, and I think five years ago, he would have saved that second goal. Maybe injuries have taken their toll.

But hey, he's all we've got at the moment, so let's hope he picks up a bit.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Boring, Boring Wilkins - when will he take some responsibility?:yawn::yawn:

How exactly? It was the linesman, defence and keeper that capitulated o cause that goal. What back four would you have played? Bad judgement meant they all went to the man and they failed to stop the cross. The lino got it wrong and Kuipers was Kuipers. Slow and bumbling as usual.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Both goals were offside so we won really.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How exactly? It was the linesman, defence and keeper that capitulated o cause that goal. What back four would you have played? Bad judgement meant they all went to the man and they failed to stop the cross. The lino got it wrong and Kuipers was Kuipers. Slow and bumbling as usual.

Spot on. The linesman very clearly missed the offside. I was sitting about 10 metres before Owusu and he was clearly ahead of the defender. There was no challenge put in and I felt that Kuipers dived too early. It was not the most clinical of strikes.

Why should the manager take the blame? Surely it is good for the players to take personal responsibility for poor play and learn from their mistakes...?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Last season when Henderson was here, as much as I do not believe Kuipers was given the chance he deserved, when Kuipers did play he was the 7 or 8 out of 10 man that we have all seen him be. At the moment, his position is totally secure.

he had no realistic challengers when he had his best two seasons for the club though - in 2001/02 and 2002/03

at his age, he should be reaching his peak as a keeper. unfortunately, he has gone completely off the boil this season. while i would argue he has not been the same keeper since that shoulder injury. he has never struggled before with no competition, so if its not injuries it either comes down to a lack of motivation or something wrong with his preparation and training

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whing was at fault for the second goal - two yards off Warne when he struck his shot. No other forwards anywhere near.

Wlikins never seems to criticise his signings - Whing, O'Callaghan, Martot, Richards (will get better!) and Forster ("no service").

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If kuipers is fo off form why doesn't wendy give Sullivan a chance surely if he's that good he ready to play......Still say we need another midfielder to challenge hammond and i don't mean Reid because he is no better.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Sullivan was pretty poor in the pre season at hastings, dont think he is the answer, weak on crosses

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I'd go along with that too

would be interested to see what new ideas the new keeper coach is employing - such as kuipers coming out to warm up before the second half, in similar style to flinders did

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
If kuipers is fo off form why doesn't wendy give Sullivan a chance surely if he's that good he ready to play......Still say we need another midfielder to challenge hammond and i don't mean Reid because he is no better.

think the number one squad number being left vacant is indication of who kuipers will be replaced with - a new signing

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
would be interested to see what new ideas the new keeper coach is employing - such as kuipers coming out to warm up before the second half, in similar style to flinders did

Kuipers is made to practise throughout half time.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Kuipers is made to practise throughout half time.

i noticed that - is it for the whole of half time though? some keepers, such as flinders and neil cutler, come out 5 minutes before the restart

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
i noticed that - is it for the whole of half time though? some keepers, such as flinders and neil cutler, come out 5 minutes before the restart
I went to the ladies so can't answer for the whole of the 15 mins but he was there for quite a bit of the break.

Btw Wilkins is going to have to put his thinking cap on and come up with something as the Argus is reporting both Bas and Forster have injuries.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I went to the ladies so can't answer for the whole of the 15 mins but he was there for quite a bit of the break.

Btw Wilkins is going to have to put his thinking cap on and come up with something as the Argus is reporting both Bas and Forster have injuries.

i always go for my bacon baguette, so miss it too

if they are both out, then it should be revell and robinson up top - have they actually played up-front for a sustained period since there successful partnership in october/novemebr last season?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wendy has stated on various occasions that he wants another experienced keeper, as competition or otherwise.

At the moment, Kuipers is largely saving the stuff you'd expect him to, but no more. Successful teams generally have a keeper who stops shots beyond that, ones that he has no right to get to, saves that make the crowd get off their feet and applaud. He's not doing that right now and I still maintain that, while you can't really blame him directly for many goals this season, there have been a few- Saturday included- that I really believe the Kuipers of 2001 would have saved.

Bearing in mind Wilkins has stated ages ago he wants a new keeper, I'm surprised nothing has come up so far. Waiting for Flinders to chuck a strop at Palace, perhaps? Though we still probably couldn't afford him.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Waiting for Flinders to chuck a strop at Palace, perhaps? Though we still probably couldn't afford him.

surely he would be better off on-loan with us than warming there bench? if there is any hope of getting him in, then we should surely go for it

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Michel only appeared for the last 5 minutes (max) and I am pretty sure that is the first time this season. He was practising his kicking, unless my memory is being eroded by copious amounts of wine...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here