Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An incentive at Amex

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I did post this on the thread about the supporters bar but thought it may be worth a thread on it's own.
I am surprised no-one has picked up on this yet.

Insider responded to a question on ATC re cashless at Amex that .........

Cash can also be used, but there will be incentives to use the ecash card.

Now will that be discounted prices to use your card, or a penalty price hike to use cash ?

I think I know where my money is going ! (on the card)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would guess, if there are incentives for drink, that the prices which have been photographed will be for cash and card sales but there may be a "cashback" element possibly.

Its far cheaper for the club to charge a card through online banking than to pay securicor to collect cash to go to the bank, hence the offer of an incentive.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Is the card thing only available at the supporters bar or the whole Amex bars/catering facilities?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
What's the difference?

Didn't think the concept was too difficult, but for your benefit...

Harveys £3.60 / pint at the Amex as widely mentioned on several threads

Incentive to use card
£3.40 using card £3.60 cash

Penalty for cash
£3.60 using card £3.80 cash

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Additional loyalty points ? These could come in handy for those priority away games and keep STH's happy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I would guess, if there are incentives for drink, that the prices which have been photographed will be for cash and card sales but there may be a "cashback" element possibly.

Its far cheaper for the club to charge a card through online banking than to pay securicor to collect cash to go to the bank, hence the offer of an incentive.

But it's not going to be a credit card, it'll be your season ticket card, which you will have to top up, so they will still have to handle cash.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But it's not going to be a credit card, it'll be your season ticket card, which you will have to top up, so they will still have to handle cash.

I would anticipate topping the card up online by a bank transfer or by debit card at the stadium

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham

I read on another thread that you will be wise to top up your ST on line thereby saving time at the stadium. I don't think they will take your cash and then add it to your ST at the ground, doesn't make sense and the queues would be awful. Either pre-load your card and get the incentives or use cash and pay full price. Much simpler. Unless you lend your ST to a friend and he goes and spends your £100 top up at the bar!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I think it will quite simply be that everything costs more if paying in cash.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I read on another thread that you will be wise to top up your ST on line thereby saving time at the stadium. I don't think they will take your cash and then add it to your ST at the ground, doesn't make sense and the queues would be awful. Either pre-load your card and get the incentives or use cash and pay full price. Much simpler. Unless you lend your ST to a friend and he goes and spends your £100 top up at the bar!

The club will still need to provide a way of topping up the smartcard within the stadium for home fans. My work smartcard is used as a entry card , clockcard and I top up credit with coins or notes on a wall mounted machine.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
The club will still need to provide a way of topping up the smartcard within the stadium for home fans. My work smartcard is used as a entry card , clockcard and I top up credit with coins or notes on a wall mounted machine.

I agree - my point was that you won't hand over your cash to a cashier to manually top up your card. Woul dnot make sense.

And with regards to incentives, why would you pay more for cash? Surely they have to charge what they advertise it for? They cannot advertise something for £3.60 and then charge you £3.80 for cash. No I think we will get a discount or loyalty points.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I agree - my point was that you won't hand over your cash to a cashier to manually top up your card. Woul dnot make sense.

And with regards to incentives, why would you pay more for cash? Surely they have to charge what they advertise it for? They cannot advertise something for £3.60 and then charge you £3.80 for cash. No I think we will get a discount or loyalty points.

The discount idea is a non starter for me , as the franchisee is losing profit margin and not to forget 25% of the profit from sales will go to the club to put in the kitty. Loyalty points on the other hand is a very cost effective option.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Possibly loyalty points?

Say buy 4 pints receive 5th at 50% discount etc (Not necessarily all on the same day!)

So basically, the drunker you get, the more chance you have of getting away tickets.

That would be fantastic. Fairly unlikely though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It'll work like an Oyster Card basically, won't it?

B&H Buses also want to introduce smartcard technology on the buses , they aim for their system to have a symbiotic relationship with the Albion smartcard system amongst others (eg PlusBus which combines bus and rail travel).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So basically, the drunker you get, the more chance you have of getting away tickets.

That would be fantastic. Fairly unlikely though.

You need to buy a couple of pies as well to be in with a chance.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
B&H Buses also want to introduce smartcard technology on the buses , they aim for their system to have a symbiotic relationship with the Albion smartcard system amongst others (eg PlusBus which combines bus and rail travel).

It'll be called the Key and it's also being run out in Newcastle, Plymouth and Bournemouth.

I'm currently editing the adverts!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here