Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An incentive at Amex

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The discount idea is a non starter for me , as the franchisee is losing profit margin and not to forget 25% of the profit from sales will go to the club to put in the kitty. Loyalty points on the other hand is a very cost effective option.

But surely if the discount is paid for by the savings made in secure cash hanlding and collection costs then won't it even out?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But it's not going to be a credit card, it'll be your season ticket card, which you will have to top up, so they will still have to handle cash.

You won't be able to top up your card with cash at the stadium. can only by done via credit / debit cards. this how it was explained to me at a match day staff meeting.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You won't be able to top up your card with cash at the stadium. can only by done via credit / debit cards. this how it was explained to me at a match day staff meeting.

Presumably the away fans will be able to pay for their beer and pies with folding money because they wont have a smartcard so in reality The Amex won't be cashless to begin with.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I imagine the benefit will be more along the lines of for every £100 you place on your card, you will get an additional % of credit.

5% free top up for every £100 you put on your card, or something along those lines.

I don't anticipate a reduced rate on food / drinks because you use the card.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I imagine the benefit will be more along the lines of for every £100 you place on your card, you will get an additional % of credit.

5% free top up for every £100 you put on your card, or something along those lines.

I don't anticipate a reduced rate on food / drinks because you use the card.

Yes that's an interesting thought.

There will be machines at the ground to deal with topping up. But there's no reason why this can't be done online as well.

And I can't think of a reason why non-season ticket holders shouldn't be able to buy what is, after all, just an electronic wallet. It's just a separate, one-off transaction shirley?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So what about non-sth? Do we get a card too?

I remember either Ken Brown or Martin Perry saying that first time attendees (excepting STH's) would get a paper ticket, but before the next match a card would be sent to them and any further ticket purchases would be electronically transferred to that card.

So assuming this policy has been carried forward, your card should be no different in capability to a ST.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
B&H Buses also want to introduce smartcard technology on the buses , they aim for their system to have a symbiotic relationship with the Albion smartcard system amongst others (eg PlusBus which combines bus and rail travel).

I think they already have the card readers fitted on the buses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
STH cards loaded with cash are going to kill stone dead the idea of handing your card over to anybody at all for games you can't get to shirley? Let's hope an official ticket exchange soon come.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
STH cards loaded with cash are going to kill stone dead the idea of handing your card over to anybody at all for games you can't get to shirley? Let's hope an official ticket exchange soon come.

I agree with you, but then surely this was also part of the "big plan" of the club, that a ticket is personal to yourself (if you don't invest in PSL). They have unofficially said they will turn a blind eye to tickets being transferred to family or friends at least for the time being, and I think most would have either a family member or the odd friend they could trust (even if card credited with cash) who would be over the moon to go to the odd game (even if recompensing the odd £20).

Having said that the uptake of the PSL has seemed pretty poor and it seemed a bit much, at least for the time being in championship, perhaps everyone would have been on to a winner if they had slashed the price.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Presumably the away fans will be able to pay for their beer and pies with folding money because they wont have a smartcard so in reality The Amex won't be cashless to begin with.

Yes, away section will be pay with cash.
Same as hattrick tickets and programmes, these will still be sold for cash to all home & away fans.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
I am all for the cashless thing Always forget to go to the cash point before the game and sometimes miss out on the soggy burgers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here