Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Idiots Guide to constant Standing in the South Stand

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Withdean Wanderer. It's a fair cop, guv.:nono:

Anyway I have been moving to the left side of the isle recently. We both feel we are getting too old for the singing etc.

I wasn't saying don't sing at all, hell that would make the one bit of Withdean with ANY noise left quiet (except for some kids and their blowhorns) - but if you're going to sit in the heart of the singing section, at least get behind the team:ascarf:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Im not about to say, but he was at Oldham, he's a member of the playing staff, and not in the 'who is the hardest' poll list. I'll let you figure it out.
It's enough that he's not doing his club, or his fellow professionals any favours, and obviously ain't all that smart.
And who are you? ;)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Withdean.....I do and have tried my best. I often start Hey Jude, and attempt to carry it on for more than two rounds. have attempted to bring in a couple of new tunes, like Ring of Fire, or Fratellis Chelsea Dagger. Screamed hoarse with Kiss Him Goodbye. I don't think I need to go on, but acutually to sit and watch a match recently, and see all the good that is going on on the park is, well, fascinating.

Anyway, you appear to know me, but not the other way round. Please sy hello on Saturday.

Cheers

Dover.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Some stewards need to have a look at their own behaviour for instance smoking behind the stands before the game. But the stewards we have are no where near as bad as some we've encountered on our travels this season. Oldham being a case in point and Hartlepool where their behaviour after the game to the players and staff was abysmal.

A fair proportion of stewards are only there to get free entry into the ground and couldn't give a stuff about the safety suppoters.

You're last sentance is more than a little out of order (IF) if it is aimed at the Stewards I know at the Withdean.

Yes, a couple of times one or two have been a bit rude, but that's nothing to the unhelpfulness I get on the Underground for instance.

For half the game I sit in the disabled area and probably have more chance to speak to stewards than most people in the ground. Me and my brother swap over at half time and to enable us to do that, they have to bother to get to know us because they can't let anyone walk in there with access to the running track.

It's a very different experience of course to sitting in the stands, but I just wanted to point there's a completely different side to them on match day than the one I'm reading on here.

I've seen at first hand the abuse stewards get and compared to ones at for instance QPR, I think we're lucky (and that includes you) to have the ones we have.

The issue isn't the stewards is it ? It's the rules they are forced to impose as part of their jobs.

The club need stewards and if I was reading this I'd think twice about becoming one.

If the reasonable ones are forced out it doesn't take a genius to work out what sort of stewards the clubs are forced to employ.

Doesn't help for a member of the playing staff to put the boot in on here either, does it ? I'd keep your nose out to be honest.

Last edited:

One of the most TEDIOUS developments of the past couple of years has been the steward baiting in H-Block.

It's only a minority who get involved, but it's seriously ruining the atmosphere.

"Stand Up If You Hate Palace" - MY ARSE.

Time was when I was happy to stand for that chant. No longer. It's not about the Palarse. It's just about the stewards.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
One of the most TEDIOUS developments of the past couple of years has been the steward baiting in H-Block.

It's only a minority who get involved, but it's seriously ruining the atmosphere.

Time was when I was happy to stand for that chant. No longer. It's not about the Palarse. It's just about the stewards.

Have moved away now (was actually on the other side of the steps), but I'd reiterate what Ed says here.

I used to watch open mouthed at the behaivour in there.

Certain individuals would stand crossed armed for long period of times (and I mean long) for the ONLY intention of goading stewards to come up into the stand, to receive abuse.

This had nothing to do with the debate about safe standing (with which I agree), but EVERYTHING to do with the group bullying of individuals trying to do a job.

What may have started as a geniune complaint about over zealous stewards has descended into something quite nasty.

I'm glad I don't have to experience it any more.

Last edited:

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
You're last sentance is more than a little out of order (IF) if it is aimed at the Stewards I know at the Withdean.

Yes, a couple of times one or two have been a bit rude, but that's nothing to the unhelpfulness I get on the Underground for instance.

For half the game I sit in the disabled area and probably have more chance to speak to stewards than most people in the ground. Me and my brother swap over at half time and to enable us to do that, they have to bother to get to know us because they can't let anyone walk in there with access to the running track.

It's a very different experience of course to sitting in the stands, but I just wanted to point there's a completely different side to them on match day than the one I'm reading on here.

I've seen at first hand the abuse stewards get and compared to ones at for instance QPR, I think we're lucky (and that includes you) to have the ones we have.

The issue isn't the stewards is it ? It's the rules they are forced to impose as part of their jobs.

The club need stewards and if I was reading this I'd think twice about becoming one.

If the reasonable ones are forced out it doesn't take a genius to work out what sort of stewards the clubs are forced to employ.

Doesn't help for a member of the playing staff to put the boot in on here either, does it ? I'd keep your nose out to be honest.

I was referring to stewards at other grounds tbh, but my first point was about the Withdean, where I've seen a number of them smoking in the stadium before the gates are opened, which is now non-smoking and if a fan was caught doing this they would be chucked out.

But you do worry when you get stopped at the main gate every week and get aksed who you are and where your going, including the gaffer LOL!:laugh:

Yeeees, so it was YOU that was malingering with Mr L. and the others at the back of the North Stand!! No wonder YOU ain't happy with stewards - got reported did ya? Good. That steward was doing a bloody decent job, while having to tell you several times.
Now grow up sonny, not even in the team and acting the 'buck'.
Did you notice the fans on this board getting on the backs of the stewards about players back of the N.Stand? Now you want to join in pointing fingers when you were part of the problem ? Thin ice there.
There are no stewards smoking behind stands - before their duty starts they are allowed outside the gates, and only outside the gates to light up just like anyone else - not inside the club gates and not on duty - just like the fans . So they wouldn't NEED to hide behind stands. They're certainly not doing it during the game as they'd be out on their ear.

Shitstirring little tosser, I bet you won't last long. Football's a profession, act like a professional and not a cheeky paper-boy. Thankfully the more mature players are also the ones that are good at what they do. You get the connection?

Er.... by the looks of that brightonbear, getting known by the stewards is something you are working harder at than getting known on the pitch! :laugh:

Sit down if you hate palace??

Nah, can't see THAT catching on!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In the real world it's not that unusual at all to be asked every now and then you are and where you are going in a place of work.

It's becoming more and more unusual because people who work for large companies are expected to carry security passes around everywhere (I have 4 for all our separate buildings)

I wouldn't expect the stewards to know instantly the faces of every single player, in fact it's encouraging to know they are a little detached.

You shouldn't worry at all, in fact you should be GLAD that the staff responsible for your security are so diligent.

smelly

May 23, 2004
Was up in Liverpool last year and went to Champions League match. ALL the Kop stand ALL match and was a fantastic atmosphere. They cant throw everyone out.........even if they are scousers!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

i agree LB a few indiviuals are ruining it for the rest of the fans and that is why a few of them are going to be banned

I hate Palarse as much as the next fan and all i am doing is my job BUT why should i bother when i have been spat on, sworn at and had 1 bloke swing a punch. TBH the wages are not that good and even i am beginning to wonder if it is worth it and i am Seagulls through and though

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
No there hasn't, whoever told you this is wrong. I don't know where this myth comes from, but no club has has sanctions placed on them for home fans standing. The only punishments have been away allocation reductions, that have only happened at very few grounds, for a select few teams.

So if the home clubs cannot be punished, why did Salford Council threaten to close certain parts of Old Trafford used by home fans about 4 years ago, due to Man U fans always standing in these areas?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here