Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Idiot Abroad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is a bit of a "listen to me I'm laughing very loudly" laugh rather than a GENUINE laugh, isn't it.

Gervais is something of an acquired taste at times. The Office was genius. Extras was very good. His films are unremitting junk. I've seen his stand-up live and its good, but a bit hit-and-miss.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well we have reached "that point" haven't we Guys?

You know "the point" I mean where Ricky has broken World records for number of Podcasts and selling out an entire tour in the quckest recorded time that in addition to the iconic The Office and Extras ( 2 of the best comedys that I have seen in 50 years viewing) and written endless Books, Made many films, written episodes for others, had Chat Shows, cameo appearances galore and other stuff that I've forgotten so its time to BRING HIM DOWN A PEG OR TWO"..LETS GO GUYS!!

I think you'll find quite a few people have really disliked him from the off. Personally, I don't mind him - I like The Office, and some of Extras. I thought his first stand up show Animals was really good, but the second one not so much.

Not sure about this series, I know it's not really about him, but if it wasn;t for him t wouldn't have been made. The warm-up episode I thought was cringe-making, with him laughing ridiculously every time Pilkington uttered a word.

Have watched two of his films recently, Ghost Town and the Invention of Lying - the both got slated on here, but I thought they were better than I had expected.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
he didn't want to go in the first place, he also did two books (gervais wanted him to) but he could not be arsed to promote them. You have to understand him to get the show. Believe me, his podcasts are some of the funniest things i have ever heard.

speaking the truth! You fat f***ing orange

You could not be more wrong if you tried. Go and download the early years of XFM and listen to how Ricky and Steve 'discovered' him. They are some on the funniest shows I have ever heard of anything. ever.
You mean the downloads I listened to years ago? Maybe it is all his creation but the fact remains this idiot savant stuff is rubbish. Or are you telling me a successful radio producer believed ALL of the following for example?

* Series 1 Episode 1: Monkey in space (visits the Moon), wasn't allowed to go back in space, ends up commiting suicide because couldn't reach "the buzz" similar to space traveling any other way
* Series 1 Episode 2: Monkey bargain hunter
* Series 1 Episode 3: Monkey Sanctuary where women workers were encouraged to bare their breasts to the gorillas. [6]
* Series 1 Episode 4: Monkey hosts chat show in Moscow, chats with Cher (this was something Steve Merchant suggested, and Karl then added it as part of the story)
* Series 1 Episode 5: Monkey lives with zoo keeper. Monkey starts acting like a human person, starts hitting on zoo keeper's wife, ends up living with zoo keeper's wife
* Series 1 Episode 6: Monkey saves people from burning building, still works for NY Fire Department
* Series 1 Episode 7: Monkey builder goes from building to building just building. (Flash video)
* Series 1 Episode 8: Monkey crashes bobsled during Winter Olympics because of photographers' cameras flashes, is taken by an ambulance, ends up in zoo with some sort of neck guard
* Series 1 Episode 9: Monkey Pilot, gets caught by a passenger who rushes into cockpit wanting a bag of nuts
* Series 1 Episode 10: Monkey Jockey, wins a race, grabs a fruit from a lady's hat and gets caught
* Series 1 Episode 11: Monkey eye surgeon - "Chimp Doctors"; man with a bad eyesight reads newspaper advertisement "Chimp doctors" as "cheap doctors", is bewildered after finding out his eyes were fixed by a chimp doctor
* Series 1 Episode 12: Monkey in space update, apparently there's a museum for "chimponauts"

I think you'll find quite a few people have really disliked him from the off. Personally, I don't mind him - I like The Office, and some of Extras. I thought his first stand up show Animals was really good, but the second one not so much.

Not sure about this series, I know it's not really about him, but if it wasn;t for him t wouldn't have been made. The warm-up episode I thought was cringe-making, with him laughing ridiculously every time Pilkington uttered a word.

Have watched two of his films recently, Ghost Town and the Invention of Lying - the both got slated on here, but I thought they were better than I had expected.
I listened to a serious interview with him which clearly shows that the Ricky Gervais on TV is a character created by Ricky Gervais the man. He came across as a down to earth man and explained about his persona. Annoying as this persona is becoming, I suppose it is a testament to the man that so many people get riled up because they believe the arrogant, brash Ricky Gervais is really what he is like. He is in danger of "jumping the shark" with this act now but with all of his millions and famous friends, I doubt he could give a toss.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Does anyone remember the original Ricky Gervais character on the 11 o'clock show? Basically he just said things that were really offensive.

Can someone point me in the direction of these XFM podcasts please, I wouldn't mind a listen if they're that funny.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
You mean the downloads I listened to years ago? Maybe it is all his creation but the fact remains this idiot savant stuff is rubbish. Or are you telling me a successful radio producer believed ALL of the following for example?

* Series 1 Episode 1: Monkey in space (visits the Moon), wasn't allowed to go back in space, ends up commiting suicide because couldn't reach "the buzz" similar to space traveling any other way
* Series 1 Episode 2: Monkey bargain hunter
* Series 1 Episode 3: Monkey Sanctuary where women workers were encouraged to bare their breasts to the gorillas. [6]
* Series 1 Episode 4: Monkey hosts chat show in Moscow, chats with Cher (this was something Steve Merchant suggested, and Karl then added it as part of the story)
* Series 1 Episode 5: Monkey lives with zoo keeper. Monkey starts acting like a human person, starts hitting on zoo keeper's wife, ends up living with zoo keeper's wife
* Series 1 Episode 6: Monkey saves people from burning building, still works for NY Fire Department
* Series 1 Episode 7: Monkey builder goes from building to building just building. (Flash video)
* Series 1 Episode 8: Monkey crashes bobsled during Winter Olympics because of photographers' cameras flashes, is taken by an ambulance, ends up in zoo with some sort of neck guard
* Series 1 Episode 9: Monkey Pilot, gets caught by a passenger who rushes into cockpit wanting a bag of nuts
* Series 1 Episode 10: Monkey Jockey, wins a race, grabs a fruit from a lady's hat and gets caught
* Series 1 Episode 11: Monkey eye surgeon - "Chimp Doctors"; man with a bad eyesight reads newspaper advertisement "Chimp doctors" as "cheap doctors", is bewildered after finding out his eyes were fixed by a chimp doctor
* Series 1 Episode 12: Monkey in space update, apparently there's a museum for "chimponauts"

The XFM stuff is pre the original podcasts.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Does anyone remember the original Ricky Gervais character on the 11 o'clock show? Basically he just said things that were really offensive.

Can someone point me in the direction of these XFM podcasts please, I wouldn't mind a listen if they're that funny.

Lots of them are on youtube, also have a listen to any episodes of 'Karls diary'

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

XFM Download Vault :: Homepage

Karl gets more involved as the 1st series goes on.

The XFM stuff is pre the original podcasts.
I am fully aware of that because, as I said, I listened to them years ago after downloading them from a torrent site. The use of the Podcast Monkey News examples was to illustrate that the fact that the things you are supposed to believe that Karl believes were ramped up in silliness as the years went on. Like Ricky Gervais, Karl Pilkington's media persona is a character. Doesn't make it any less funny htough.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I watched "An Idiot Abroad" - i didn't see it pre-promoted or initially know it had anything to do with Gervais and i'd never heard of Pilkington, but i thought it was entertaining and quite funny.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Is there anywhere where I can see the first episode of "An Idiot Abroad" as missed it. Have Virgin. Thanks.

DanSeagull

Jun 10, 2009
Is there anywhere where I can see the first episode of "An Idiot Abroad" as missed it. Have Virgin. Thanks.

Look on google for a torrent, i got the first episode from one and it was great quality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here