Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Idiot Abroad

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Is it not an act though?? Everyone I know seems to be convinced that it's all real.. don't get me wrong I do think he's entertaining to watch/listen to but I can't seem to shift this nagging feeling that it's all an act- i think i just can't quite believe that someone can be THAT dumb/bizzare!

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Is it not an act though?? Everyone I know seems to be convinced that it's all real.. don't get me wrong I do think he's entertaining to watch/listen to but I can't seem to shift this nagging feeling that it's all an act- i think i just can't quite believe that someone can be THAT dumb/bizzare!

Gervais has mentioned him before in his stand up's and he really does seem that dumb/bizzare.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not an act. Hard to believe but quite clear after you have seen/heard hours and hours of him. He's an idiot savante. And UNBELIEVABLY funny.

Of course it is an act - before the partnership with Gervais and Merchant, he was successful and was Head of Production at XFM. His morose manner is obviously natural and he just has to exaggerate it. But it is daft to believe that he is just straight ad-libbing - surely the whole Monkey News segment on the podcasts was the give away. And the fact he still works with Gervais and Merchant is telling. His character is similar to the Merchant character in Extras or the Brent character in The Office is his lack of tact/nouse. But the fact it is a cross between natural personality, good scripting and the ability to ad-lib well for comic effect whilst appearing straight doesn't make it any less funny.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Act or Not. Its a program aimed at entertaining. Why cant people just let it be that, Entertainment.

I dont like Gervais but I did find this Very Entertaining because of Karl.

Act or Not. Its a program aimed at entertaining. Why cant people just let it be that, Entertainment.

I dont like Gervais but I did find this Very Entertaining because of Karl.
Not entirely sure anyone is complaining that it is not entertaining. But like Mock the Week, HIGNFY, A League of Their Own etc., etc., it is a group of funny people ad-libbing around a skeleton script to make a funny programme.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pure Marmite, just an acquired taste as humour so often is. I find Gervais hilarious in stand up but his films have been dull. Haven't seen this show but the blogs TV show raises the odd smile but it's not something I make a point of watching.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Not entirely sure anyone is complaining that it is not entertaining. But like Mock the Week, HIGNFY, A League of Their Own etc., etc., it is a group of funny people ad-libbing around a skeleton script to make a funny programme.

:thumbsup:

Was more along the lines of people always try to over analyse. Is it an act is it not etc. All I was saying why do people feel the need to do this. (i'm guilty of it for other programs). So I just relax and let it entertain. Wouldn't it completly spoil it (especially for the people who believe it isn't an act) if it was discovered to be one. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw one of the trailers when he was on the Great Wall of China that made me laugh.

"whats great about it ? Don't call it great, I'LL call it great if I think its great. 'Oooh but it goes on for miles and miles' - so does the M6, nobody calls THAT great do they ?"

:lolol:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course it is an act - before the partnership with Gervais and Merchant, he was successful and was Head of Production at XFM. His morose manner is obviously natural and he just has to exaggerate it. But it is daft to believe that he is just straight ad-libbing - surely the whole Monkey News segment on the podcasts was the give away. And the fact he still works with Gervais and Merchant is telling. His character is similar to the Merchant character in Extras or the Brent character in The Office is his lack of tact/nouse. But the fact it is a cross between natural personality, good scripting and the ability to ad-lib well for comic effect whilst appearing straight doesn't make it any less funny.

You could not be more wrong if you tried. Go and download the early years of XFM and listen to how Ricky and Steve 'discovered' him. They are some on the funniest shows I have ever heard of anything. ever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could not be more wrong if you tried. Go and download the early years of XFM and listen to how Ricky and Steve 'discovered' him. They are some on the funniest shows I have ever heard of anything. ever.

Indeed. Karl is a naturally witty bloke but it is ALL him, and that is very obvious if you follow it from the XFM days. He's an amazing creature with a fascinating way of looking at the world.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004

Well if the good people of NSC say it isn't an act, then it mustn't be.. I was just wondering like- I do think he's very funny regardless, not seen An Idiot Abroad yet but quite keen to watch it!

HackneyMan

Sep 21, 2010
Well we have reached "that point" haven't we Guys?

You know "the point" I mean where Ricky has broken World records for number of Podcasts and selling out an entire tour in the quckest recorded time that in addition to the iconic The Office and Extras ( 2 of the best comedys that I have seen in 50 years viewing) and written endless Books, Made many films, written episodes for others, had Chat Shows, cameo appearances galore and other stuff that I've forgotten so its time to BRING HIM DOWN A PEG OR TWO"..LETS GO GUYS!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ricky Gervais is soo f***ing annoying already.....

I generally don't ever find him annoying, but from the preview show of this he has been completely unbearable. It's as if he can't cope with being in the background.

But it's worth putting up with Ricky because the rest of the show is VERY funny.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Indeed. Karl is a naturally witty bloke but it is ALL him, and that is very obvious if you follow it from the XFM days. He's an amazing creature with a fascinating way of looking at the world.
Definitely, which is why I find it strange that they still package the whole thing as him being an 'idiot' and a 'braindead buffoon' etc. Having gone back and listened to all the XFM shows, and read a couple of his books (as BoF mentioned, Happy-slapped by a Jellyfish is BRILLIANT), I don't see him like that at all. Like you say he's a naturally witty fella, with an incredible imagination - both these things must require a certain degree of intelligence.

Then again, it'd make sense as they're far more likely to attract more viewers by titling the show 'An Idiot Abroad' rather than 'Bloke With Fascinating Outlook on Things Goes Abroad'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely, which is why I find it strange that they still package the whole thing as him being an 'idiot' and a 'braindead buffoon' etc. Having gone back and listened to all the XFM shows, and read a couple of his books (as BoF mentioned, Happy-slapped by a Jellyfish is BRILLIANT), I don't see him like that at all. Like you say he's a naturally witty fella, with an incredible imagination - both these things must require a certain degree of intelligence.

Then again, it'd make sense as they're far more likely to attract more viewers by titling the show 'An Idiot Abroad' rather than 'Bloke With Fascinating Outlook on Things Goes Abroad'.

Often the things Karl says are insightful and quite interesting (along with sometimes being true despite Gervais and Merchant telling him he's talking sh*t). It's the WAY he says these things that is dumb.

Some of his final sentences on a subject are absolutely killer though.

And also the idiot thing does refer partly to the fact he does look REALLY thick sometimes. Shaven chimp.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I generally don't ever find him annoying, but from the preview show of this he has been completely unbearable. It's as if he can't cope with being in the background.

But it's worth putting up with Ricky because the rest of the show is VERY funny.

totally agree,i enjoyed it a lot its just when,after just 3 minutes in Gervais took over with that laugh i just hoped he wouldnt feature in it much..which he didnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here