Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amiga or Atari

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
zipstick.jpeg

Sensible Soccer with one of these, i was UNPLAYABLE.
Have been useless at football games since the invention of the control pad.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Atari ST for me and I ran a business around it ( although got slated in the New Computer Express for giving away free condoms ).

Speedball and Kick Off 2 were awesome as was Paradroid by Andrew Braybrook !

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I knew there had to be ST fans out there! What are these MIDI ports that have been mentioned?
The ST had both input and output MIDI ports to allow direct connection to any musical instrument also sporting said ports (mostly keyboards). For me personally this meant I could hook the ST up to my dads Clavinova and use a step-entry sequencer to produce music without having to actually play it :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This was my first computer, Atari 400, brilliant for ROM cartridge games. I even tried programming a couple of things in BASIC, and they were basic!

800px-Atari-400-Comp.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quite a revolutionary design too. The all in one cpu, disk drive and input device is reminiscent of Apple machines of today

it was a pretty common configuration in those days, certainly the keyboard and mainboard in one housing was the standard, with or without drives and cassette system built in. the PCW of cira 1986 was more like the imac, putting the mainboard in with the monitor. just goes to show how little Apple really innovate.

Does anyone remember the name of the computer shop near the old Cannon cinema, next door to the present day Fish Bowl?

as said, Gamer and opposite was the airgun shop which is still there. as a teenager this was the perfect combination. also there was a great games shop in an arcade now home to Gormet Burger/Komedia, along with a Zippo shop. again, great combo.

Also what about The Great Giana Sister's? British made version of Mario only much better.

only available on priate because Nintendo got it banned. i had a copy but would crash on the second level or somthing. theres a modern version of Great Giana out apparently pretty good.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I had several Ataris ending up with a 1040 STE expanded to 4meg ram and this was the hub of our recording studio right up until 1997 when we moved over to one of the firs generation apple g3

Got our first Atari st in 1988 and it was because of the midi ports. I couldn't believe how powerful it was although I never used it for anything except music.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
as said, Gamer and opposite was the airgun shop which is still there. as a teenager this was the perfect combination. also there was a great games shop in an arcade now home to Gormet Burger/Komedia, along with a Zippo shop. again, great combo.

All i will say about the shop opposite is Black Widow catapult! Yeah the other shop was Jabba's hut wasn't it, in the arcade? One time saw a guy wheelchair himself into the little shack demanding to sign everything Star wars related because he claimed to be David Prowse, to which the owner told him to naff off this resulted in a Mexican stand / sit off! Oh the memories!

Also did anyone use that computer shop under Churchill square near the old crappy Tesco's? That had to be the oddest place to put a shop. Computer shop was quite good if i remember rightly?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Beneath A Steel Sky

Absolute corker of a game. And it's abandonware now, so why not download it and relive the magic

Fail:jester:

I actually bought it on my Iphone when it was cheap. I was disappointed when I didn't have to change one of the 15 floppy discs every scene:down:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
For fans of Charlie Brooker and computer games you might like this

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I went straight from a Spectrum to the NES so never owned either of these badboys :(

You missed out, this is how you would die at the end of one game on the Amiga.

As a teenage boy it was like looking at a Da Vinci, whilst having Jimmy Page play over top.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Also did anyone use that computer shop under Churchill square near the old crappy Tesco's? That had to be the oddest place to put a shop.

YES, that shop was awesome and I (my parents) used to buy most of my Amstrad games from there. You just had to ignore the fact it was in a dark piss-smelling corner next to the public toilets.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I actually bought it on my Iphone when it was cheap. I was disappointed when I didn't have to change one of the 15 floppy discs every scene:down:

Ah, the memories - Operation Wolf was like that as well - 37 floppy discs to swap every 30 seconds and not necessarily in the order you expected !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here