Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amiga or Atari

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I was an Amiga boy. Superior graphics, better spec, and FAR superior sound. I gather the Atari ST was more compatible to connect up to synthesisors and various other gubbins, but I didn't give a TOSS about all that.

Actually I'm not sure it was. I originally got my Amiga 500 to use as a midi sequencer with my Casio keyboard because it was supposedly the best bit of consumer kit on the market capable of such musical trickery.

Basically the Amiga SHAT ALL OVER the Atari

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Amiga. Beneath The Steel Sky.

Enough said.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Actually I'm not sure it was. I originally got my Amiga 500 to use as a midi sequencer with my Casio keyboard because it was supposedly the best bit of consumer kit on the market capable of such musical trickery.

Basically the Amiga SHAT ALL OVER the Atari

I stand corrected then. I seem to remember the compatibility aspect being the feeble argument thrown around by ST owners in a limp attempt to try and justify the CATASTROPHIC error of judgement they had made in lobbing their £500-odd quid at a clearly inferior machine.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Quite possibly the best game on the Amiga 500.

speedball2.jpg

Edit: Picture is slightly bigger than i thought but it adds to the impact.

Absobloodylutely

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I stand corrected then. I seem to remember the compatibility aspect being the feeble argument thrown around by ST owners in a limp attempt to try and justify the CATASTROPHIC error of judgement they had made in lobbing their £500-odd quid at a clearly inferior machine.

:lolol: Can anyone remember the price difference between the two?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Amiga was far, far better, the only advantage the ST had was the midi port.

Prices as i recall were the same.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
IIRC, the Amiga was better but at £399 was £100 dearer than the Atari (which still pretty good in it's own right).
I used to do a lot of BBS stuff and "exploring" online in the days before the Internet with my trusty 1200 baud modem.
I've still got my Atari 520 STFM in the loft (and my C64)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I had an Amiga 500+ but then upgraded to an A1200 which I still have in my loft.

Amazing machines the Amigas. Civilization, Settlers, Sensible Soccer, Kick Off 2, Formula One, Pinball Dreams - top, top games. Man, the hours of my life spent playing that lot and others!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Atari ST - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Atari ST was born from the rivalry between home-computer makers Atari, Inc. and Commodore International. Jay Miner, one of the original designers for the custom chips found in the Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit family, tried to convince Atari management to create a new chipset for a video game console and computer. When his idea was rejected, Miner left Atari to form a small think tank called Hi-Toro in 1982 and began designing the new "Lorraine" chipset. The company, which was later renamed Amiga Corporation, was pretending to sell video game controllers to deceive competition while it developed a Lorraine-based computer.[7]
Amiga ran out of capital to complete Lorraine's development, and Atari, owned by Warner Communications, paid Amiga to continue development work. In return Atari received exclusive use of the Lorraine design for one year as a video game console. After one year Atari would have the right to add a keyboard and market the complete computer, designated the 1850XLD. As Atari was heavily involved with Disney at the time, it was later code-named "Mickey", and the 256K memory expansion board was codenamed "Minnie".

Read the ORIGINS subsection quite interesting history.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ditto that
Also have to say Sensible Soccer was superior to Kick Off 2

I'd have to disagree there. Sensible Soccer was excellent but very simple (which I acknowledge was one of its strengths too, as it was so immediately pick-up-and-playable).

Kick Off 2 was the daddy though, because there was a far greater range of passing you could do with the ball. It was more difficult to master than Sensible Soccer, but more richer and rewarding as a result. Wellying in a maHOOsive long-range crossfield pass on KO2 was (sadly) one of the great joys of my teens.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
Amiga 600 for me.

Best games:

KO 2
Player Manager
Sensi soccer
Cannon fodder
Speedball 2
Premier manager

Must crank up the Amiga emulator on the laptop again.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The ST for me, if only for the MIDI ports. Taught myself to read and transcribe music with that hooked up to my dads keyboard.

Player Manager was the best game though. And the remake of Exile.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The ST for me, if only for the MIDI ports. Taught myself to read and transcribe music with that hooked up to my dads keyboard.

Player Manager was the best game though. And the remake of Exile.

I knew there had to be ST fans out there! What are these MIDI ports that have been mentioned?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Does anyone remember the name of the computer shop near the old Cannon cinema, next door to the present day Fish Bowl?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
AMIGA
Kick Off..........best computer game ever for playability
secondly,
When playing solo, was there a better game than cannon-fodder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here