Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex V Goldstone.......

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
food, now the foods pretty good at the amex, im to new too brighton to remember the goldstones cuisine, any good?

f*** me its a football ground ...(tongue in cheek)not a f***ing restaurant..this just undelines why i and many f***ing hate you and....... Will laugh forevermore coz of brightons downfall enjoy why you can fuckwits

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Or is that your hands are now bigger?

They've done that with a lot of things recently, the thinking is that if you put the price up people won't buy it, but if you reduce the amount you get and keep the price the same people will still buy. The classic example of this is Toblerone where they have recently removed one triangle.
I've noticed this with bags of crisps - I usually end up having to but two bags these days :facepalm:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Or is that your hands are now bigger?

I still have small , girlish hands sadly :( but they've shrunk , honest

giantWagonWheel.jpg

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
food at the goldstone was more slop than food.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I remember being at the Goldstone one evening, late 70s I think, we had just scored and out of the heavens came this really nice sausage, very nice it was to......

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Standing in the queue for some chips behind the North stand, side by side with the queue for the toilet, that was two open gutters running either side of each other and the smell of alchol fueled piss filling the air, as you put some vinegar on your chips was what football was all about. Even better in the winter in the cold and the rain. Thank god in all my years I never needed a shit, is all I can say.....Times have changed, grounds have changed, football has changed...

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I had the worst burger in the world at the Goldstone once, and only once.
It was boiled, ffs! And absolutely disgusting.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Standing in the queue for some chips behind the North stand, side by side with the queue for the toilet, that was two open gutters running either side of each other and the smell of alchol fueled piss filling the air, as you put some vinegar on your chips was what football was all about. Even better in the winter in the cold and the rain. Thank god in all my years I never needed a shit, is all I can say.....Times have changed, grounds have changed, football has changed...
that made me smile:Dit dont you wish you could do it all again ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
that made me smile:Dit dont you wish you could do it all again ?

Yes I do, some of my greatest memories in my life were at that ground. Use to get that buzz of excitment every time I turned the corner and saw the floodlights from across Hove park, even better at night games.....If time travel was possible it would be a dream to go back but I think once inside the ground again, you would very quickly want to jump back in the time machine and get back to the Amex....I think all the Withdean years and the couple at Gillingham left some very deep scars. If we had gone straight from the Goldstone to the Amex, im sure people would still look back with very found memories(i would for sure) but maybe not such rose tinted ones.It was Our House in the middle of our street, but in truth it was a bit of a shithole But to be fair so were most grounds at the time in he 80,s(it was a real shithole in the end)

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
My dear you had to be mad or bleedin starving to try the food in the North Stand - the food hut was right behind the toilets. That doesn't sound too bad until you saw the toilets, basically two walls(you peed against one) with a metal roof and about as dark a place as you could imagine.

Rather wet myself LOL

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes - but it was OUR shithole and it holds many great memories for all fans who have the privilidge to say they went there. That's now in the past but won't be forgotten. We are now making our new history.
The food, like the bogs, the terracing, the seats and the view, was generally shite - but I loved every moment I was there. I even enjoyed Gillingham, to some extent (I think I only missed 3 matches) - at least they gave us the opportunity to keep going as a club. Withdean was great - the Amex is better in all respects bar the travelling.

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Didn't really care about food at The Goldstone. Occasionally would get something from the chippie just around the corner from Brighton Station when waiting for the connection.

Now toilets, thats another matter. North Stand toilets at The Goldstone they were ace :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
The burger van in front of National tyres outside the West Stand knocked up some truly disgusting burgers.

Goldstone was amazing with the terracing. Unbeatable atmosphere in North stand, However everyone that wanted to sing would be concentrated there, whereas at Amex we've all spread out creating magnificent atmosphere all round ground.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Fag at half time for me.
Gave up smoking twenty years ago but used to smuggle in 10 No6 down me bollocks so I could get in the under 16 turnstile (60p).
If the coppers searched you and found your cigs they used to make you pay adult entrance as a punishment.
Also if Millwall or Palace were down they used to make you take your laces out of yer Docs and you'd have to queue up to get 'em back at the end!
Great Days!:blush:

Last edited:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Worst hotdog I've EVER eaten some of. 'Twas a cold Tuesday night in 1996-97 season and I needed something to warm me up. I went with the hotdog as it looked better than the burgers in the North stand. I had about 1 bite of the 'meat' before removing the sausage from the bread, eating the bread and using the sausage in the nice foil bag as a hand-warmer for the 2nd half!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am sitting here Sunday morning hilariously laughing with tears running down my cheeks reading these posts
you have all made a bad day bearable
cold burgers and flat lemonade Ahh! those truly were the days

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Food, now the foods pretty good at the amex, im to new too Brighton to remember the goldstones cuisine, any good?

The Burgers were nearly as bad as those at the Withdean, i only ever bought 1 at the t o t`s and threw it away it was disgusting.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Worst hotdog I've EVER eaten some of. 'Twas a cold Tuesday night in 1996-97 season and I needed something to warm me up. I went with the hotdog as it looked better than the burgers in the North stand. I had about 1 bite of the 'meat' before removing the sausage from the bread, eating the bread and using the sausage in the nice foil bag as a hand-warmer for the 2nd half!

Maybe that was Bakesy's hotdog from 1979? It might have been lost in a corner for nearly 20 years, and they just decided to try reheating it.

Like others I never really bought food at the Goldstone. Going to football was about going to football. In fact I still find this whole need to eat at a ground, rate it, complain about it, see it as a key part of the experience etc etc as quite alien.

All I remember about the catering was its proximity to the North Stand bogs. Sure that wouldn't get past modern H&S rules!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here