Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex V Goldstone.......

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Standing in the queue for some chips behind the North stand, side by side with the queue for the toilet, that was two open gutters running either side of each other and the smell of alchol fueled piss filling the air, as you put some vinegar on your chips was what football was all about. Even better in the winter in the cold and the rain. Thank god in all my years I never needed a shit, is all I can say.....Times have changed, grounds have changed, football has changed...

This sums it up perfectly for me. Dad took us in the 70's and we stood on upturned buckets near the front (of the west stand) and pissed on the pitch at half time! Oh the madness oh the joy.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Maybe that was Bakesy's hotdog from 1979? It might have been lost in a corner for nearly 20 years, and they just decided to try reheating it.

That really wouldn't surprise me. I agree about the general thought about games being about the football though - I'll never understand corporate hospitality.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The boiled type cheapo burgers & hot dogs.

(North stand loos (were they were open roofed?), with everyone jostling to pee into a half-pipe drain).

In the north west corner was a hut (a bit bigger and more open-fronted than that at Withdean) selling scarves, programmes & badges of many other clubs.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Yes the food was shite, but GREAT times.....the waft of cigar/pipe smoke in the northstand.........the surges etc

But it was where the injection of blue and white entered my veins, so yes the AMEX is bloody fantastic , but it is going to take a while before it will overtake the Goldstone if ever

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Love reading this posts. Strange question, but has anyone got any pictures of the 'concourse' (hot dog stand / toilets) and turnstiles of the North Stand? I used to go a lot as a kid but can't remember that part of the ground so would love to rejog my memory. Thanks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes the food was shite, but GREAT times.....the waft of cigar/pipe smoke in the northstand.........the surges etc

But it was where the injection of blue and white entered my veins, so yes the AMEX is bloody fantastic , but it is going to take a while before it will overtake the Goldstone if ever

Smells - as a kid, noticed the strong smell of beer & scotch all around. The nearby pubs must have done well in the hours before Goldstone kickoff.

Love reading this posts. Strange question, but has anyone got any pictures of the 'concourse' (hot dog stand / toilets) and turnstiles of the North Stand? I used to go a lot as a kid but can't remember that part of the ground so would love to rejog my memory. Thanks.

Notters regularly posts a photo of the bogs in the North, I never tire of looking at it and I'm sure when i do the unmistakable stink comes flooding back.

As for the food, never tried it, wasn't that brave.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Roofless toilet in the North, food (I use that term loosely) was disgusting, but after a few bevvies in the Hove Park Tavern or the Eclipse it didn't taste quite as bad. Everything everyone has said about The Goldstone is true, I loved the terracing, the surges and flicking my fag ash into Krispies pocket. Night games were brilliant, just thinking about seeing the glow of the floodlights as you approach still brings that warm feeling inside. But although remembered with total fondness, times have changed, and the only thing I would change about the Amex is putting terracing in the North and East stand if we was allowed to have terracing now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Used to have a season ticket in the West Stand during the glory years and did indulge in the odd pie( very hot with semi charred sellophane wrapping falling apart in your hands.),usually before kick-off.Brought my own thermos of coffee tho'...........a much better bet than the Goldstone brew!
Great times and great atmosphere..... and when I close my eyes I can still smell the cigar smoke wafting over from the dodgy geezers in camel coats!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Oh yes yes yes.....the smell of some fellas cigar,,,wonderfull stuff(and im being serious).

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Never had a pie or burger at The Goldstone. The Bovril was good and the Mars Bars were.. well, like Mars Bars really.

Just to prove that is it possible to mess up a Bovril, I had one at Priestfield when we were playing our games there and the imbeciles behind the counter had a large tin of Marmite, from which they were spooning the stuff into cups and pouring hot water onto it. Needless to say, Marmite is not Bovril and it doesn't dissolve in hot water. I was therefore served a layer of semi-solid Marmite at the bottom of the cup and some vaguely brown water on top. I returned it and asked for coffee. I think that what I received was actually coffee.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I had the worst burger in the world at the Goldstone once, and only once.
It was boiled, ffs! And absolutely disgusting.

I defy anyone to have eaten a burger worse than I had at Oxford's Manor Ground stadium in the early 1980s. It was like the aris of a horse combined with cow hooves and was nearly heated (when I say nearly, I mean that it was stood on the shelf near a cooker then placed directly into a damp bun).

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
f*** me its a football ground ...(tongue in cheek)not a f***ing restaurant..this just undelines why i and many f***ing hate you and....... Will laugh forevermore coz of brightons downfall enjoy why you can fuckwits

What a lovely little chap:spam:

:albion2:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I remember buying a Hot Dog at the Goldstone one evening cup game against Wolves in about '79.
Just as i returned to the top of the North Stand Lawrenson went on a mazy run and stuck the ball in the top corner, i threw my arms up like you do and my sausage was gone forever, if you were hit by the said sausage i apologise LOL.

:laugh:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Notters regularly posts a photo of the bogs in the North, I never tire of looking at it and I'm sure when i do the unmistakable stink comes flooding back.

As for the food, never tried it, wasn't that brave.
Indeed I do, lol. Im on my iPhone though, can someone did it out from another thread?
Certainly not roofless [MENTION=18639]Seagull Steve[/MENTION]!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Indeed I do, lol. Im on my iPhone though, can someone did it out from another thread?
Certainly not roofless [MENTION=18639]Seagull Steve[/MENTION]!

Either my recollection is wrong (although I swear at one point the khazi was roofless) or in my drunken haze I was pissing in the wrong place Notters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here