Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX Transport - a thread of positive suggestions

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One suggestion would be to stop people using the A27 in front of Sussex Uni as a drop of point. Somehow these people need to be educated to use the Stanmer park access road -> the Uni to do this.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If coming from the A27 east, park for free at Glynde station - only 2 stops to Falmer.

1423 gets to Falmer 1436.

PG

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Pay for enough members of British Rail staff to be on 'Standby' like the airlines so that 'staff shortages' are NEVER an excuse for a cancellation

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Where are all these extra carriages going to come from ? They have already replaced the 2 cars with 8 on matchdays so what else can be done ?

On Sunday they were running football buses starting from Palmeira Sq to Falmer and wasn't even a third full so where is the demand ?

Thanks for the bus info. Doesn't seem very well communicated that you can catch these buses so easily... will use this option from now on (so that's one less waiting for the train!)

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I can't believe there isn't a taxi rank, we quite often get one especially if there is 4 of us as it is only a few quid each. Every time we try too get one it causes hold ups as there is nowhere for them too stop, they normally drive down waiting for someone to put their arm up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not a suggestion but I've now travelled by bus, train, foot, car (me driving and parking nearby), car (someone else driving and parking in the official car parks at the uni) and various combinations of the above and I've not had any problems. I think people need to just stop moaning and get on with it.

The second Notters law !

TBH I am astounded at the spoon feeding some people are expecting. I bought tix to take the kids to some places in London this weekend. As far as the venues are concerned I have to make my own way there and back. Same for almost anywhere actually.

The only gripe I have is with the boards at the bus stop o/s Falmer station when it says due 5 mins (or whatever) then just goes blank.

I dont mind waiting as long as I know how long, even if it said 30 mins thats fine as long as I know as I may then try and get the train or start walking etc etc.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Thanks for the bus info. Doesn't seem very well communicated that you can catch these buses so easily... will use this option from now on (so that's one less waiting for the train!)

Didn't know myself, was waiting for a 25 at Palmeria Sq and this Falmer Stadium special turned up, was about 1300 and didn't even get a third full on the journey. Dropped us off at the station on the A27 not the car park, will hope they keep this route going.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
For the first time on Sunday I got a coach to the ground rather than the train/drive. I will NEVER get the train again. It was AMAZING! Picked me up in Lancing, a further 3 pick ups along the way and we were there. Loads of beer, a walk back to the coach after the match, STRAIGHT onto it and sitting down, warm and cosy. 15 minutes later were gone! Great value too (I think I paid 7.00 return)

Check them out

Seagull Travel | Stage Door Tickets

They run coaches from all sorts of places, couldn't recommend it enough!

this is the way forward the coaches are brilliant

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ive done park and ride, uni car park, and train, all to get back to London and can't say any of them have been that bad. More importantly things seem to be improving even more. It sounds like the biggest issue is Bennets field so if processes there could be more efficient I reckon we are good for the extra seats.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I think in time it will get a lot better.

Moving the cars out of bennett's field to falmer school will improve things no end.

Making sure trains are chock a block before they leave will also help.

Maybe having a proper club house that takes kids will keep more behind to avoid the rush.

Having police control village way/falmer road must continue.

All in all it will get better, and the club are doing wonders.

TB

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
At the stadium, where people pick up the R, S & P buses, a simple rope seperation system would be good to identify the queues for each particular bus. At the moment it's just one huge queue, and when a bus turns up it turns into a free for all with those wanting to get the said bus, and a lot of people just stood in the way awaiting other services.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think Seagulls Travel are collating a list of suggested improvements to the stadium parking organisation and layout to their credit. But why it comes to private transport companies to do this and only then what we can all see I'll never understand. Club and the stewards that stand around in the car parks seem oblivious to basics like, as plenty have suggested, loading more than one P&R at a time. Blimey, it took people to get confrontational with stewards out of sheer frustration for the club to change the lights on Village way to a more sensible setting. When everyone attending saw what had to be done after the first game. Seems club cannot learn quickly if at all. The steward's mindset ought to be one of evacuation, not watching a puddle dry out.

Sorry, not very positive I know. To address this therefore I'd say let Seagulls Travel run the AMEX car parks!! Darren sounds like he knows what he's doing. You might even get some of those 1901 members to renew. Fat chance if things continue as is.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Evening games the traffic is always chaos. Stop all cars parking in village way after kick off and stop any other cars unless on specific Brighton university business.

Then add several extra 25 buses which. Currently take half an hour uk to the uni and back again. Does not seem to be aproblem on Saturdays.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lots of good ideas on here already, and let's hope that this thread gets forwarded to the club so that they at least consider implementing some of them. It's a fantastic stadium, quite stunning,but transport IS an issue. Passing on constructive feedback to the club should be welcolmed by them. At the moment I do get the impression that they think everything transport wise is fine, however that is clearly not the case (see the thread from Barnsley fans about our 'superb stadium with crap transport'.) We've had similar comments from Blackpool, Palace, Peterborough, Hull and West Ham fans too. So far I think we've only had one game when it's rained afterwards, so we've been spared the worst of the elements to date.

If the club wants to maintain (or even increase, were we to increase the number of seats) 18,000 STH then the transport will IMO have be improved -especially after games, lots of the things on this thread are themselves fairly small, however if the club were to implement only half of them, the difference could be significant. If the transport were to be improved it would also stop the fire drill with 10 minutes to go (again, it was noted by the Barnsley fans how many people left early on Sunday.)

My initial suggestions concern the Park and Ride, and to a lesser extent Bennetts field (no I'm not a 1901 member, but they do pay a lot of money and if we want them to renew, they, like ALL our supporters deserve to be looked after better than they are now.)

Load more than one bus at a time. In fact load ALL the available P+R busses at the same time. Quite why that doesn't happen I cannot understand. Anyone who has used the Park and Ride at Southampton knows how quick and easy that is. They load 4 or 5 busses at a time, which then leave together.

If this system was used at the Amex, and all the busses left the coach park at the same time, there would then be a reasonable period of time (whilst all the busses were on their way to/from the P+R) when Bennetts field could be completley emptied of cars without holding up the busses.

Providing the lights are 'held' at the top of Village Way,at least until all of the first wave of busses are clear, then a significant number of people could be away from the stadium very quickly.

Other quick points re Park and Ride - at the moment, despite only one bus being loaded at a time, they still leave under capacity - very frustrating to be in a queue, and see a bus with empty seats on it.

Signage - as others have said before, there's a distinct lack of signs around the Stadium - how hard can that be?

Oh, and to get people to stay afterwards, I'd have any unsold food sold at a Discount - after all, what does happen to any unsold Burgers/Hot Dogs etc?

I'd scrap the pick up/drop off point at the Stadium too - at least until one hour after the final whistle. It's amazing how just a few cars collecting one person each can delay a double decker bus carrying 70 odd people.

Long term, I'd move the 1901 to the Uni Car Parks, move disabled to Bennetts Field - and with the 'spare room' in BF increase the size of the Coach Park.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And how about making this thread a sticky, and passing it on to the responsible person at the club in say a fortnights time?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
....and I hope you've all signed the ePetition at the top of the board for a footpath to/from Woodingdean.

On Sunday, as we can down from the race hill P+R there were people walking to the Stadium from Woodingdean. Not only does it slow the traffic down as cars wait to pull out and avoid them, it's also bloody dangerous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here