Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX Transport - a thread of positive suggestions

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have a drink in the Swan after the game then walk across the footbridge opposite to the east Falmer bus stop (2 mins walk) and pick up a 28/29 at 540, 555 or 610 (every 15 minutes) into town. Bus is limited stop so quicker than a 25 and will be emptier prior to the Falmer station stop.

PG

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
if you can stay behind for 45minutes or so, the train queues are clear.

THIS. They're getting better i.e. more carriages despite short platforms - it does work. I had a drink after the glorious victory and walked straight onto a train at 5.50, back to lewes .

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
Build a slip road to the mini roundabout from the car park by the stadium for cars to exit from rather than having to use the same exit as all the buses...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Provide additional park and Ride sites within walking distance of rail stations at Hassocks and Lewes. I would use the former to avoid the evening crush at Brighton and the latter would surely help those travelling from the East.

split the S bus route in two - this will mean that outbound people waiting past Portslade/Hangleton are not stranded when the full buses go past and journey times for people in Shoreham/Portslade will be reduced, making the bus route a complete no brainer compared to the train.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
1) Build upon the success of encouraging people to arrive earlier and leave later:

E.g. Open a second (family friendly) supporters bar. Have a few tip up seats in the concourses. Serve food in the lounges after matches.

2) Develop a car sharing database to increase vehicle occupancy rates.

3) Publish more information about what buses are available (e.g. routes that go near but not to the ground) and also let people know which are not currently full.

4) Run the 5B bus all the way to Falmer on match days.

5) Look into extending Falmer platform. It can only take 7 carriages at present, so 8 carriage trains tend not to leave completely full.

6) Encourage people to move right down the trains to allow more on.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
7) Have real-time bus info available within the concourses and lounges.

8) Have CC-TV pictures of the station and bus queues showing in the stadium.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
- All trains 8 carriages in length.
- That 2 carriage Ore train that officially doesn't stop at Falmer... could this perhaps make unofficial stops at London Road and Moulescombe (and Falmer) to help people at those stations (the specials are sometimes impossible to board)
- Extra 25s that make limited stops running the usual route Hove-City Centre-the Level-Lewes Road, but perhaps called 25 Football Specials (i know i would use these instead of the trains most weeks)
- More football special buses, would one from Hove only, and Kemp Town/Whitehawk be popular?
- Stewards along the train platform, one by each door, shouting at people to move down inside the carriages and loading the carriages until actually full

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
1) Build upon the success of encouraging people to arrive earlier and leave later:

E.g. Open a second (family friendly) supporters bar. Have a few tip up seats in the concourses. Serve food in the lounges after matches.

3) Publish more information about what buses are available (e.g. routes that go near but not to the ground) and also let people know which are not currently full.

5) Look into extending Falmer platform. It can only take 7 carriages at present, so 8 carriage trains tend not to leave completely full.

Good shout on the 5B... that's a good little route

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Probably not feasible, but how about having more than 1 exit for road users?

This why was there not a exit cutting out the traffic lights could have a exit further down falmer road just before the roundabout with left hand turns only, any traffic going to woodingdean can turn around at the roundabout.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
split the S bus route in two - this will mean that outbound people waiting past Portslade/Hangleton are not stranded when the full buses go past and journey times for people in Shoreham/Portslade will be reduced, making the bus route a complete no brainer compared to the train.

8) Have CC-TV pictures of the station and bus queues showing in the stadium.

This and that.

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
split the S bus route in two - this will mean that outbound people waiting past Portslade/Hangleton are not stranded when the full buses go past and journey times for people in Shoreham/Portslade will be reduced, making the bus route a complete no brainer compared to the train.[/QUOTE]

Loving this suggestion.......Bus S works pretty well but it would be much more appealing if the journey from Shoreham didn't take over an hour each way.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Provide additional park and Ride sites within walking distance of rail stations at Hassocks and Lewes. I would use the former to avoid the evening crush at Brighton and the latter would surely help those travelling from the East.
QUOTE]

Why don't you just park around Hassocks. Get the train from there into Brighton, or to haywards heath and get to the stadium via Lewes???

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Build a slip road to the mini roundabout from the car park by the stadium for cars to exit from rather than having to use the same exit as all the buses...

and who is gonna pay for that. Not the club i would think..... so that leaves the council tax payer to foot the bill

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I haven't seen the congestion in Bennett's Field for myself so apologies if this makes no sense. If there's an issue with too many buses entering/leaving the same small space, how about opening a secondary pick-up/drop-off point for buses at the university? There are some wide open car parks there which are empty on match days and it's only a short walk through the underpass to get to the ground. It wouldn't be as convenient as a collection point near the stadium but it would allow for more people to be moved more quickly, if they're prepared for a five-minute walk.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

Other then 7) do exactly the same as 6) but with Buses this is the best ideas I've heard.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
- All trains 8 carriages in length.
- That 2 carriage Ore train that officially doesn't stop at Falmer... could this perhaps make unofficial stops at London Road and Moulescombe (and Falmer) to help people at those stations (the specials are sometimes impossible to board)
- Extra 25s that make limited stops running the usual route Hove-City Centre-the Level-Lewes Road, but perhaps called 25 Football Specials (i know i would use these instead of the trains most weeks)
- More football special buses, would one from Hove only, and Kemp Town/Whitehawk be popular?
- Stewards along the train platform, one by each door, shouting at people to move down inside the carriages and loading the carriages until actually full

Where are all these extra carriages going to come from ? They have already replaced the 2 cars with 8 on matchdays so what else can be done ?

On Sunday they were running football buses starting from Palmeira Sq to Falmer and wasn't even a third full so where is the demand ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
QUOTE]

Why don't you just park around Hassocks. Get the train from there into Brighton, or to haywards heath and get to the stadium via Lewes???

My thinking is that extra Park and ride sites are required, if we are to expand capacity. So far East and West Sussex have taken the view that the football stadium is nothing to do with them. I think this is a cop out frankly.
Brighton station in particular is a massive bottleneck for evening games and Hassocks would provide an alternative to relive congestion. It could also help with the traffic queues at the south end of the A23.
From a personal point of view I work in London and head south by train. Going via Lewes is better but I need to leave extra early to make the connections. Driving is therefore not an option.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not a suggestion but I've now travelled by bus, train, foot, car (me driving and parking nearby), car (someone else driving and parking in the official car parks at the uni) and various combinations of the above and I've not had any problems. I think people need to just stop moaning and get on with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here