Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I just noticed that the big screen at the back of the north stand is moving to the right about one block.

View attachment 121073

Going by those plans, it could look something like this.

If it was 10 rows and not corporate, it’s something I would get behind, but how many seats is this going to have? A couple of hundred, maybe? Seems like they’ve gone for the income route, rather than the ‘get as many fans in as possible’ one. That doesn’t really sit well with me.

My dream was that we could have a more intimidating home end with more fans, hopefully, having an impact on the game, and with the current conversations about the atmosphere, you would think that would be more important.

From a personal perspective, it looks like the new seating will go right above my seat in the North Stand and I think it will make it almost impossible to hear the NSK.

E26EFE93-95B3-4A6D-8B6A-17CB4F8DA8CA.jpeg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

If it was 10 rows and not corporate, it’s something I would get behind, but how many seats is this going to have? A couple of hundred, maybe? Seems like they’ve gone for the income route, rather than the ‘get as many fans in as possible’ one. That doesn’t really sit well with me.

My dream was that we could have a more intimidating home end with more fans, hopefully, having an impact on the game, and with the current conversations about the atmosphere, you would think that would be more important.

From a personal perspective, it looks like the new seating will go right above my seat in the North Stand and I think it will make it almost impossible to hear the NSK.

View attachment 121092

I think that looks good certainly better than a big blank wall. Don't get me wrong we would all like the North stand to be extended 10 rows back but without major expansion it's never going to happen. As for atmosphere in my opinion it's down to the fans. We have had a great atmosphere before at certain games and we will again for certain games. It largely depends on how the team is playing. I think the club should be applauded for getting an extra 1750 fans into the stadium, we used to get a good atmosphere at the Goldstone, Withdean,( not counting Gillingham) surely a vast majority of fans in a 32,500 Stadium can make a bit of a noise when we are playing well? :clap:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 121092

Won’t be able to see the screen from my seat........and South screen is too far away [emoji23][emoji23]

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think that looks good certainly better than a big blank wall. Don't get me wrong we would all like the North stand to be extended 10 rows back but without major expansion it's never going to happen. As for atmosphere in my opinion it's down to the fans. We have had a great atmosphere before at certain games and we will again for certain games. It largely depends on how the team is playing. I think the club should be applauded for getting an extra 1750 fans into the stadium, we used to get a good atmosphere at the Goldstone, Withdean,( not counting Gillingham) surely a vast majority of fans in a 32,500 Stadium can make a bit of a noise when we are playing well? :clap:

The North is where it really starts though. More people in there equals more noise and that equals the rest of the ground more likely to join in. We had some great atmospheres, but with a larger North it would be even better. Oh well.

EDIT: Yes, I do think it’s looks better, would feel a lot better if it wasn’t corporate though.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

View attachment 121092

Pitch looks good

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Perfect place to put all the fluffbuckets that want to sit in silence but still retain the Altered Carbon state of wanting to sit in the North Stand like the good old days.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
I think it looks pretty decent to be fair :amex:

According to wiki, Saints ground St. Mary’s holds 32,505...surely they’ll be able to find another 6 seats to take the accolade of largest ground on the south coast :annoyed:

I imagine a small detail like that could make the difference in the choice of venue for any future World Cup/Euro tournament the UK or England host...if football ever starts again that is of course :down:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Perfect place to put all the fluffbuckets that want to sit in silence but still retain the Altered Carbon state of wanting to sit in the North Stand like the good old days.

Alternatively, it could be designed as a safe standing singing zone.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think it looks pretty decent to be fair :amex:

According to wiki, Saints ground St. Mary’s holds 32,505...surely they’ll be able to find another 6 seats to take the accolade of largest ground on the south coast :annoyed:

I imagine a small detail like that could make the difference in the choice of venue for any future World Cup/Euro tournament the UK or England host...if football ever starts again that is of course :down:

I noticed this too but saw on the PL website that it lists Southampton’s capacity as 32,384.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

Yep, but nothing to do with the Amex redevelopment!

Of course, on two fronts. The first, obviously, the Coronavirus. The second, football wise, we have a forward thinking owner and board who have put in some so much to advance the club, in this case the expansion of the Amex to accommodate more fans. But, no, still we have “fans” that criticise that that’s wrong.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I can understand why some might be a bit disappointed that their dream of a larger North stand wont come to fruition but it was never likely to happen given the constraints of the structure, this will really improve the look of the stadium and bring in much needed revenue.

I also wouldn't be so quick to write this off as just another prawn sandwich section. I'd imagine there are lots of fans who want the premium matchday experience in a more relaxed environment, I think this will cater for that market so will still help to enhance the atmosphere. I see it has having a premium bar feel and marketed to the more vociferous fan seeking a 'premium' match day experience.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m quite looking forward to seeing it finished, each modification to the stadium has enhanced the looks, from the corners being filled in, the NW shelf, the SE and S corporate additions, no reason to think this will be any different. For me, anything that replaces the large bulkhead of grey metal is an improvement, when the stadium is fully finished with seating and boxes squeezed in everywhere it should look really cool.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m quite looking forward to seeing it finished, each modification to the stadium has enhanced the looks, from the corners being filled in, the NW shelf, the SE and S corporate additions, no reason to think this will be any different. For me, anything that replaces the large bulkhead of grey metal is an improvement, when the stadium is fully finished with seating and boxes squeezed in everywhere it should look really cool.

It is funny, looking back on 'old' footage of the AMEX.

I remember thinking 'well they can get a few more seats in those corners, but that's about it'.

The place looks dramatically different without actually changing, (if you get what I mean) which I guess in itself is quite a feat.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It is funny, looking back on 'old' footage of the AMEX.

I remember thinking 'well they can get a few more seats in those corners, but that's about it'.

The place looks dramatically different without actually changing, (if you get what I mean) which I guess in itself is quite a feat.

Yeah, compared to how it first looked it really is quite different inside, lots of smaller additions have really made a nice impact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here