Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apparently there is a 'Control Box' Matchday Experience just around the corner.

You and a few mates, for a mere £750 per capita, can spend a videotastic day in the said CCTV hub watching all of the trouble makers whilst munching on a splendid 4 course menu created by a Michelin starred chef.

With a spot the singing supporter competition.

Due to the very long odds of winning, the prize, an all expenses trip to be the first dining in the Lancing Ikea cafeteria.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So this is like adding the West middle tier along the top of the North? Yet more 1901/Corp tickets. Great.
They could have made this general tickets and had an upper concourse, increased d the atmosphere/noise in the north and as a knock on the rest of the ground.

I look at there being a lower roof for part of the NS which will generate louder noise irrespective of what is above the roof

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Second set of steps to the coach park will be a great improvement to help with the massive bottleneck after the game

This is where they will be. I wonder if they will make one set for away supporters and one for home.

AmexExpansion8.PNG

This planning application only just appeared so I guess there could be another one appearing later with details of the external screen and toilets.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Looks like a NS 1901 section ?

The quote from PB was "We will also be looking to add additional hospitality space with very different lounge concepts..."

So yes in terms of paying a premium for these seats, but my guess is that these seats will have a more relaxed feel to them and aimed at supporters who want to be at the centre of the atmosphere, rather than corporates.

I suspect (based on not a lot) that replica shirts may be permitted, or even encouraged in this new area, but they will draw the line (as they well should) at FKWs.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seat-spacing......I hope I don’t have to shoe-horn myself into my seat next season.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Seat-spacing......I hope I don’t have to shoe-horn myself into my seat next season.
They still have to comply with the law regarding the maximum number of seats between a given seat and an aisle.

There may be more flexibility for pitch level seating, I suppose.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
This is great news, thanks for posting. If nothing else the awful gap above the North stand seats will filled with a terrace and corporate box behind. I think it will be a more relaxed corporate box which will allow replica shirts worn etc etc. The gap being filled above the North stand will make the seating area more impressive (like the South stand) as it will not be a "stand alone" terraced seating. Always though this was what the club was aiming to do, we should be proud that the club has increased the capacity from 22k to over 32k in a relatively short space of time. Exciting times.......Jack Straw wipe down your lens!:thumbsup:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This is great news, thanks for posting. If nothing else the awful gap above the North stand seats will filled with a terrace and corporate box behind. I think it will be a more relaxed corporate box which will allow replica shirts worn etc etc. The gap being filled above the North stand will make the seating area more impressive (like the South stand) as it will not be a "stand alone" terraced seating. Always though this was what the club was aiming to do, we should be proud that the club has increased the capacity from 22k to over 32k in a relatively short space of time. Exciting times.......Jack Straw wipe down your lens!:thumbsup:

:sick:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Very disappointing, but not surprising, as a few of us thought this area will be going to the corporate as that’s where the money is.

It really isn’t going to make the North Stand look better, it will have 3 extras rows above it, so pretty much a mirror of the South - which doesn’t look very good either. It won’t help the atmosphere as it will barely overhang the seats.

This puts an end to any idea of expanding the North properly and having more of a ‘Kop’ and a singing stand to be proud of. It currently looks too small and will continue to do so.

Sad, sad day.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Very disappointing, but not surprising, as a few of us thought this area will be going to the corporate as that’s where the money is.

It really isn’t going to make the North Stand look better, it will have 3 extras rows above it, so pretty much a mirror of the South - which doesn’t look very good either. It won’t help the atmosphere as it will barely overhang the seats.

This puts an end to any idea of expanding the North properly and having more of a ‘Kop’ and a singing stand to be proud of. It currently looks too small and will continue to do so.

Sad, sad day.

Given the severe physical constraints of the roof I am not sure that adding a substantial second tier or a greatly enlarged lower tier was ever a realistic proposition.

FWIW I reckon it's 5 rows rather than 3, but I don't think this undermines your point. Physics and sight-lines presumably greatly limit the amount a second tier can overhang.

On the plus side it does seem like there will be over 1000 extra general admission seats added in various places in other parts of the stadium. We probably won't see a planning application for this though as it's not needed, so I am none the wiser as to where they will go. The planning application for the upper tier in the north is only there because a change of use is involved.

I do wonder, if the club could have the time over, whether they would have submitted an application for a stadium that more easily allowed for expansion to 35000-40000. But it is what it is. Every modification now is going to be sub-optimal in some way because the design capacity has been exceeded.

After this I think the only realistic way of significantly increasing capacity will involve raising/modifying the roof in some way. That's probably at least ten years down the line and provisional on full houses every week and a large waiting list. In addition it'd probably require substantial payments to Network Rail towards various capacity enhancements. So this will probably be it capacity wise for the Amex for many years, possibly indefinitely.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

Sad, sad day.

Sad, sad day? Really? :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The quote from PB was "We will also be looking to add additional hospitality space with very different lounge concepts..."

So yes in terms of paying a premium for these seats, but my guess is that these seats will have a more relaxed feel to them and aimed at supporters who want to be at the centre of the atmosphere, rather than corporates.

I suspect (based on not a lot) that replica shirts may be permitted, or even encouraged in this new area, but they will draw the line (as they well should) at FKWs.

Probably more like the 'Dugout' in WSL in that case..............

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure why you would bin off the bandstand. Fanzones popping up at every ground now to encourage early/late arrival/departure and we're getting rid? Strange.

And if the North Stand goes corporate, well that's the whole atmosphere done

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Big screen going up outside, plus more catering and toilets (finally !) so they're improving the facilities outside as well, not getting rid.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Big screen going up outside, plus more catering and toilets (finally !) so they're improving the facilities outside as well, not getting rid.

Crikey dazzer there are some hard to please punters on here.(not you by the way) I think the changes will enhance the look of the stadium. The people who think it is a sad day because of a lost opportunity to make the North Stand kop more impressive need a reality check. Just look at the early photos of the Amex and how bare it looks....the North stand looks lonely and tiny but it is the maximum size for the structure of the Amex. Over the years the empty spaces have had seats added to improve the attendance, this latest development is probably the most the club can achieve. It will be great to see our football ground used to it capacity. Some my find it sad I think it's great.....but then I, and a lot of other fans appreciate how far we have come. 32500 fans in a Stadium that is the home of Brighton & Hove Albion......who would have thought?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here