Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American terms

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You wouldnt observe it and see the need to prove to your mother on one particular day of the year that she is cherished.

That's ridiculous. Atheist can and do show to their mothers their love and appreciation, and take the opportunity to do so on a commercially recognised day (so much easier to get mothers a card for that day).

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’ve managed to get two of my American co-workers to say Cheers when I get them a cup of coffee so all is not lost. I don’t have a problem with them saying “awesome” or “dude” – it’s their country, but it just sounds stupid when you hear Brits saying it trying to sound cool. I’d agree with JB – the Americans I work with and meet socially are easy going, polite and generous, I’m really not interested if they choose not to put a ‘u’ in certain words

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We Brits rant and rave against the European Union destroying our identity, traditions and way of life, yet we slavishly adopt every piece of cultural shit that plops out of Uncle Sam's fat arse!

Three 'Americansims' which I particularly hate are

1. As mentioned above, universities replacing 'terms' with semesters. Why?

2. The way that our schools now have a 'Prom night' at the end of the academic year, with silly screaming girls turning up in a stretch limo that their weak parents have agreed to fork out for to keep their 'little princess' happy.

3. The way that young British women now talk like ditsy American bimbos with likkle girlie voices: 'I'm like, kinda, y'now, sorta, ohmigod, like, err, ooh, Paris Hilton, ohmygod, she's just so, like, kinda, really kinda cool, y'know what I mean. I so admire her, like, really think she's, like, kinda fab.'

The sound of this whiny-voiced bimbo babble is everywhere these days.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
We Brits rant and rave against the European Union destroying our identity, traditions and way of life, yet we slavishly adopt every piece of cultural shit that plops out of Uncle Sam's fat arse!

2. The way that our schools now have a 'Prom night' at the end of the academic year, with silly screaming girls turning up in a stretch limo that their weak parents have agreed to fork out for to keep their 'little princess' happy.

3. The way that young British women now talk like ditsy American bimbos with likkle girlie voices: 'I'm like, kinda, y'now, sorta, ohmigod, like, err, ooh, Paris Hilton, ohmygod, she's just so, like, kinda, really kinda cool, y'know what I mean. I so admire her, like, really think she's, like, kinda fab.'

:clap2:

take a bow

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

...that in itself is copying the British idea of the Debutantes ball, which is what the exact same thing has been called in Ireland for, erm, ever as far as I can tell. I know my parents had Debs at the end of secondary school in the 1960s anyway.

Change the name back to the traditional British one and it ceases to be "American".

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Awesome is now looked down upon as old school and the new word on the streets is "sick" this superseeds awesome and all other previous american terminology for the word Good.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Like my mother is like a total space cadet

[yt]PnVE3UTIgEM[/yt]

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

What would you rather do?

Nine term papers, or six semester papers?

Do the math...

:smile:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Soon be time to go sink a few brewskis and meet some cougars downtown.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I hate that in the last few years, a 'TV series' has now turned into a 'season'.

I like that, actually. I find it easier to distinguish each year of the show.

The british way is to refer to the show as a series and refer to each year of the show as a series.

Calling each year a season is something I adopt because it's clearer.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

The british way is to refer to the show as a series and refer to each year of the show as a series.

Then change your sig. :p

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

It's not exactly rocket science though is it? season is pretentious. You have a season of French Cinema on at the South Bank, not a season of Hotel Babylon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Then change your sig. :p

My sig was referring to the series, i.e. the whole show, starting proper (there was an advance preview of the pilot episode back in december).

It's not exactly rocket science though is it? season is pretentious. You have a season of French Cinema on at the South Bank, not a season of Hotel Babylon.

You also have a football season, is that pretentious? It is after all just one year of a repeating league system. Why not call it a league this year is a league, next year we be a league, the year after will be a league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here