Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American terms

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
But it doesn't stop being our language just because we've imported someone else's to it. So much of the english language has it's origin in latin, in german etc. but it was amalgamated and became a part of our language, because we chose to use it and include it our dialect.

Why is it different if the origin of the language is american? Why does us choosing to bring in americanisms into our language make us lose claim to ownership over it?

you watch glee, your tolerance levels of the more idiotic end of american speech must be elephant hide-like.

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
There is a sense when talking of Americanized English that it is being forced on the U.K. I think it is quite the opposite. British mainstream culture deliberately apes the U.S. and it is embarrassing.

I would blame a lack of imagination among advertisers, broadcasters, and politicians.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I find it odd that so many people criticise Americans for their ways. Take a look at our legal system, why is it that our judges and barristers still dress like they're from the 18th Century ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No one has mentioned all the lefty quasi-academic jargon thats been imported wholesale by the left, ie "Gender neutral" english and other touchy feely bullshit.

This corrupts and weekens English when people use persons instead of people, and dont understand the distinctions between "man".

"Humankind" WTF? Why cant you just use humanity instead you pretencious prick? I may search that one and see whos been using it on here.

LB is right vis Mothering Sunday, if its a highly ritual romanticised tradition its probably of Catlick origin like Saints.

Whats this got to do with left and right politics exactly?

Your spelling is shit anyway. Are you English, or is English your second language? :D

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whats this got to do with left and right politics exactly?

Your spelling is shit anyway. Are you English, or is English your second language? :D

Actually Looney is dislexic, the rest is correct though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here