Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I the only person who dislikes Bolt?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The man is brilliant. One of the most powerful complete athletes I've ever seen. A natural entertainer very aware of his ability but having time for regular folks, before and after the race. Chatting and joking with officials and fans before and after the race. And then tonight doing the mo farrah celebration when smashing the relay tonight.
Top athlete, top bloke

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brilliant athlete. Interacts with crowd. What's not to like?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think him and his pet event are the most overrated event at the games.

Couldn't care less how fast he can run in a straight line for a crappy 100 metres.

I don't like his arrogance at all when so many athletes who participate and win gold in sports that are far more difficult to master remain humble.

I spent an afternoon playing football, during breaks in a film shoot, with Bolt, earlier this year, and you could not be more wrong. Great bloke. Totally chilled. Zero attitude Had time for everyone.

Similar feedback from our daughter who met him a few times when she worked at Brunel Univ, where the Jamaican athletes tend to train when they're in the UK. Sounds an absolutely top fella.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I mean really, Alistair Brownlee's triathlon win and story deserves more recognition as it is a far more difficult physically challenging task (and better background story} than anything Bolt did.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Jeez,it's an athletic competition not a charisma contest. The man is the worlds best sprinter...I have never met the guy but he is always smiling and seems decent enough. I remember when Ali turned pro and he fought Liston,everyone was saying what an arrogant twunt he was....,soon people got used to his bragging forecast and realised it was showmanship that put bums on seats....I don't think people think he is arrogant now,he has huge respect all over the world.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
It's a sad fact that lots of people find something to dislike in people who achieve great things. Personally I think all the Olympians are just fantastic athletes who have dedicated themselves to their sport in order to perform to the best that their ability allows. Usain Bolt's ability is just far greater than any other sprinter. He has a great personality, but obviously there will be those who want him to lose. Ali knew that most of the crowd were paying to watch in the hope that someone would shut his mouth.
I pity these sorts who just despise greatness.

D

Deleted member 22389

A magnificent athlete but arrogance does not equal charisma. Most certainly not the "star" of the games, all the fawning gets on my nerves!
Loved the olympics btw but Hoy, Farah etc are much more likeable.

Me too, winds me up. No, your not the only one.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I love bolt....so much so, I would let him "bolt" in my mouth!.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I mean really, Alistair Brownlee's triathlon win and story deserves more recognition as it is a far more difficult physically challenging task (and better background story} than anything Bolt did.

That was some run he did,amazing time all things considered.it would be my top gold for us.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Jeez,it's an athletic competition not a charisma contest. The man is the worlds best sprinter...I have never met the guy but he is always smiling and seems decent enough. I remember when Ali turned pro and he fought Liston,everyone was saying what an arrogant twunt he was....,soon people got used to his bragging forecast and realised it was showmanship that put bums on seats....I don't think people think he is arrogant now,he has huge respect all over the world.

Nice bit of revisionist history there.

Ali's treatment of Joe Frazier showed him for what he really was.

A classless human being who was all about his own ego.

Nothing really to be respected for.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Bolt runs at nearly 30mph, if he hits a child at that speed there is an 80% chance they will die.

For that reason i'm ooot.

Seriously the guy is the greatest sprinter that ever lived, he has come from pretty normal background and doesn't take himself too seriously. Great personality.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
What is there possibly to dislike about Usain Bolt? Arrogant? Only with his tongue in cheek, he quite obviously doesn't take himself too seriously. I cannot for the life of me think what else could make someone dislike him?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Arguably the athlete with the biggest buzz around him since Muhammad Ali in his prime. Transcends sport. :bowdown:

Agree. On a sporting level alone he is a legend, but he really does transcend sport.

For me Bolt has demonstrated just what a 'people person' he is. Lining up for that 100m final I wasn't that fussed who won to be honest, so long as it was good race. In our house we was in the middle of discussing the look on the face of the young people behind the blocks looking after the runners clothes - what awe they were in and how they couldn't help but look like kids in a sweet shop. At that precise moment Bolt then looks the young lad behind his blocks in the eye, clocks the emotion and gives him the old touching fists respect move. Marvellous scenes and just one of many that brought a tear to my eye this Olympics. I could go on& on about the countless crowd interactions Bolt has had and his Mo celebration yesterday that , rather than trying to steal someone's thunder, honoured a fellow great athlete, his superb acheivements and the nation that got behind him and Bolt too.

Usain Bolt ? - plenty of posturing and a degree of arrogance even?, certainly...but a living legend with bucket loads of humanity and a true peoples champion?, without a shadow of a doubt!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nice bit of revisionist history there.

Ali's treatment of Joe Frazier showed him for what he really was.

A classless human being who was all about his own ego.

Nothing really to be respected for.

Ali: "Joe Frazier, I'll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I'm gonna tell ya, that's one helluva man, and God bless him."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here