Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I the only one pleased we're playing Germany not Ghana?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Let's face it, if we were playing Ghana the media would be in overdrive by now about how we should beat them, how the draw had opened up for us, how this was the best chance we'd had since 1966, etc etc etc. And we all know what would happen: England, crushed by expectation (again) would come out and do their famous 'rabbit in the headlights' impression.

No one however is saying "Germany? Yeah, we'll beat them easy." And we do tend to play better against the better sides. And do you know what? I think we can do it ...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Let's face it, if we were playing Ghana the media would be in overdrive by now about how we should beat them, how the draw had opened up for us.

It would have been us vs Ghana in the second round, who would then play the winner of South Korea vs Uruguay.

Media would have had us to WIN the whole competition. But Rooney then hit the post....

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I agree.

I thought Ghana were a better side, particularly in the first half.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
if anyone is in the BBC London area you should be very relieved indeed that they have missed the chance for a massive Ghana love in. They are hardly going to bother to find a pub in Canary Wharf full of Deutsche Bank employees and patronise them to death instead.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think you are right Bozza. I didn't want us to draw Germany, but now we have I feel strangely calm about it.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
That other side of the draw is SO nice though. One of Uruguay, South Korea, the USA and Ghana is guaranteed to make the semis. If we win it from this position we truly will have earned it.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Really don't mind the Germans in the next round, think it's a game where if it was played 10 times we'd win 5 and they would win 5. However playing the Argies in the quarter finals and not the semi's is a blow.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ME. As its Stevie Wonder on Saturday and I was thinking I would have to have one eye on the England game. Now its sunday so thats alright...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2nd Round - Germany - Win on penalties
Quarter Finals - Argentina - Rooney to score a dodgy handball, then a wonder goal
Semis - Portugal - Win after Rooney gets Ronaldo gets sent off, then winks at Fabio
Final - Brazil - Gerrard to score a freak cross-cum-shot goal

Sorted.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am SO happy we've got the Germans. We're not going to win the tournament so why not get to play them instead? I think it's BRILLIANT.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:lolol::lolol:

Just to say: I think in normal time either team could win. England can be about as capable as Germany's younger, developing side: both have blown hot and cold on occasion so far. But on pens? Nah.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i'm going to remind you of this post if the occasion arises!

I believe that the Germans have only ever lost one match on pens. I believe that the English have only won one.

I know who my money would be on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't Podolski's miss against Serbia, their first competitive penalty miss in 500 years?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Quarter Finals - Argentina - Rooney to score a dodgy handball, then a wonder goal
Semis - Portugal - Win after Rooney gets Ronaldo gets sent off, then winks at Fabio
Final - Brazil - Gerrard to score a freak cross-cum-shot goal

Sorted.

If Carlsberg did revenge...

sorry, for that, but your quite right, as a Nation we do owe each of those teams a beating. the only problem is if we meet spain, they owe us one after 96.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Carlsberg did revenge...

sorry, for that, but your quite right, as a Nation we do owe each of those teams a beating. the only problem is if we meet spain, they owe us one after 96.

Plus Spain are the one team I just don't believe we can beat, EVEN on "our day".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here