Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am i plastic?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Having read the various accusations from some quarters in Easy's 'plastics' thread I too am concerned about whether I am a 'plastic', having until now considered myself a proper Albion fan...

Here are the facts:

Went to around 300 Goldstone games on the spin in my youth aswell as loads of away days.

Went to Priestfield a few times.

STH at Withdean for first 7 years or so.

Have not renewed in the last couple as now have a family and am frankly fed up with the place and the cost. Still go 4 or 5 times a season.

Went mental at home yesterday when Crofts scored scaring the wife! Reminded me of being 18 again.

Plastic?

YOU DECIDE!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the cliche "lost your mojo" applies more than Plastic

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Having read the various accusations from some quarters in Easy's 'plastics' thread I too am concerned about whether I am a 'plastic', having until now considered myself a proper Albion fan...

Here are the facts:

Went to around 300 Goldstone games on the spin in my youth aswell as loads of away days.

Have not renewed in the last couple as now have a family and am frankly fed up with the place and the cost. Still go 4 or 5 times a season.

Went mental at home yesterday when Crofts scored scaring the wife! Reminded me of being 18 again.

Plastic?

YOU DECIDE!!
definitely not plastic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course you're not, gripper.
By definition, it is impossible to be a plastic if you support a lower division team, because quite evidently, you've not latched onto them just because they are successful (which they're not). My boss is a Swindon fan, but hasn't been to a game for years because he no longer lives there. Does that make him a plastic ? Of course not.

If you choose (yes actually CHOOSE ie SELECT) a big team from miles away because they win lots of things and are on the telly a lot, then yes, you are a plastic. Even if you go to the odd game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course you're not, gripper.
By definition, it is impossible to be a plastic if you support a lower division team, because you clearly have not latched onto them because of their success. My boss is a Swindon fan, but hasn't been to a game for years because he no longer lives there. Does that make him a plastic ? Of course not.

If you choose (yes actually CHOOSE ie SELECT) a big team from miles away because they win lots of things and are on the telly a lot, then yes, you are a plastic. Even if you go to the odd game.

So the local Reading and Hull fans who jumped on the bandwagon as they rose through the leagues are NOT plastic then? Whereas the kid from Scunthorpe who might have latched onto them is??? I thought it was NSC law that all recent Reading fans were plastic and we would have to put up with the same type of plastic fan when Falmer opens. Now you are telling me they are not plastic? :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
methinks Easy's "palstic" fan has ben mis-read, he means those people who claim to support top four clubs etc without any family link, never having been to that city/stadium etc.

completely different to the common or garden "fair weather" fan or "bad" fan who dont go to games :blush::down:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So the local Reading and Hull fans who jumped on the bandwagon as they rose through the leagues are NOT plastic then? Whereas the kid from Scunthorpe who might have latched onto them is??? I thought it was NSC law that all recent Reading fans were plastic and we would have to put up with the same type of plastic fan when Falmer opens. Now you are telling me they are not plastic? :shrug:

No, they're fairweathers (as said by beorthelem). They would graduate to PROPER fans if they stick with Hull/Reading after relegation.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
For me the definition "plastic" should only be applied to people who live in places like Hastings, Barnet and Cwmbran who follow Man Utd purely for the reason that they are a big club who often win things...they can't even cite a get out clause of something like "my grandad used to play for them" or "my parents moved to where I grew up from Manchester and used to drag me up there for games when I was a kid and it kind of followed that I would follow them as an adult"...many plastics have never been to watch their "adopted" team play in their life and would be hard pressed to point to the team's location on a map.

Anyway, the only person who follows the Albion and could have the term "plastic" levelled at them probably started following the team when they played in the first division and reached a cup final...to be still following the club more than a quarter of a century later would be some act of devotion, if not outright madness.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Here are the facts:

Plastic?

YOU DECIDE!!
Not plastic.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
No you're obviously not plastic.
It's simple, (and i was speaking to a leicester fan about this to which he agreed) if everybody supported their hometown club then the world would be a better place and there would be no such thing as 'the big four'. It's the idiots who support the big four over their hometown that really get my goat. And when people say 'i support man u cos my old man does' or some other lame excuse that's BS, my old man is a spurs fan cos he's from london but because i'm from brighton i chose them over spurs. Simples.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Are you composed mainly of synthetic material?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
plastic-man.jpg

And I'm sure some photoshop wizard can improve on this superhero further by tweaking this to 'Plastic Fan'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where do i stand on the plastic front then EASY.

Born Brittania Ave (outside the bridge) 1966 and still a supporter and frequent visiter to Chelsea but moved to Brighton 1986 and started supporting my local club(Brighton) have worked matchdays at withdean for the last 8 years.

I would say NOT plastic, because you have a definitive link with Chelsea. They were originally your local club, so despite moving away, you have every right to continue to support them.

And don't let anyone tell you different.

:)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
No you're obviously not plastic.
It's simple, (and i was speaking to a leicester fan about this to which he agreed) if everybody supported their hometown club then the world would be a better place and there would be no such thing as 'the big four'. It's the idiots who support the big four over their hometown that really get my goat. And when people say 'i support man u cos my old man does' or some other lame excuse that's BS, my old man is a spurs fan cos he's from london but because i'm from brighton i chose them over spurs. Simples.

There was obviously a certain amount of irony about my question but it can get a little irritating being told by some Albion fans on here that if ain't at Withdean you ain't a fan.

I've done my time and should now be aloud to reintergrate into society!!

On the subject of your post I used to work at a place and there were two other guys there (Chelsea and Liverpool) who had NEVER been to see 'their' teams play. What I found amazing is that I was often left out of football conversations as I 'only' supported the Albion. One of them was 25 and claimed that the fact he had completed the Liverpool sticker Album that year meant he was obviously a fan... and that I should keep my opinions to myself.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
There was obviously a certain amount of irony about my question but it can get a little irritating being told by some Albion fans on here that if ain't at Withdean you ain't a fan.

I've done my time and should now be aloud to reintergrate into society!!

On the subject of your post I used to work at a place and there were two other guys there (Chelsea and Liverpool) who had NEVER been to see 'their' teams play. What I found amazing is that I was often left out of football conversations as I 'only' supported the Albion. One of them was 25 and claimed that the fact he had completed the Liverpool sticker Album that year meant he was obviously a fan... and that I should keep my opinions to myself.

You're still a fan even if you go just a couple of times a season, or even if lifes commitments have taken over and you no longer have money or time to go that does NOT make you no longer a fan, but probably a bit of a frustrated one (changing nappies instead of watching albion :lolol:)

What I found amazing is that I was often left out of football conversations as I 'only' supported the Albion. One of them was 25 and claimed that the fact he had completed the Liverpool sticker Album that year meant he was obviously a fan... and that I should keep my opinions to myself

What a couple of dicks, at the end of the day, people like that are missing out, we have a real connection with Albion they i'm sure have nothing to do with theres

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here