Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I over the limit to drive?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
hitony said:
But how can you confidently state that 3 halves and your "potentially" safe ?
Nope, you're right - best not even to have one, which, 99% of the time I don't when I'm driving, even at lunchtime if there's a chance of having to drive in the evening. Also it's easy enough not to, ffs.

If they were serious about stopping drink-driving, well the scenes at Goodwood races when I went racing a few weeks ago were impressive/ shocking - 3-4 empty champagne bottles on each table and not too many people seemingly taking the shuttle bus to Chichester station afterwards...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Franks Wild Years said:
Blimey MOH. Naked ladies posting you.

Best have a drink mate.:lol:
Isn't that just the best post on here, like, EVER? Only thing is that I can't exactly leave the office in this state of tumescence. It could be a long night.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
desprateseagull said:
any alcohol will affect your reflexes, and a bottle of beer and 2 1/2s certainly puts you over the limit- i think it takes longer than 7 hours to clear the system..

i would get the bus, just to be safe.
One unit of alcohol takes roughly one hour to clear the system. So one bottle of beer (say 5% abv), and two halves of 5% abv beer would take about four and a half hours to clear completely from the system.

To quote from the BIIAB handbook...

17.10 Alcohol in the body

a) When drunk, alcohol is absorbed into the blood and reaches all parts of the body. A person becomes drunk because he drinks alcohol faster than his body can eliminate it, to a point where it affects his body.

b) The effect drinking has on an individual depends on how much alcohol is in the bloodstream at any given time, in other words, the blood alcohol concentration (BAC).

c) BAC is measured in milligrams (mg) of alcohol in millilitres (ml) of blood. A BAC of 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood is the level above which it is an offence to drive. This measurement has an equivalent in terms of micrograms in ml of breath (35 micrograms in 100ml of breath). This can be measured using a breathalyser.

d) On taking drinks, the amount of alcohol which gets into the bloodstream and the speed with which it does depends on factors such as:

Quantity - how many drinks a person consumes and how strong the drinks are

The size of a person - A small person has less blood than a large one, therefore the same amount will produce a higher BAC in small person than a larger person.

Sex - The same amount of alcohol will produce a higher BAC in women than me

Food eaten - The presence of food in the stomach slows down the rate at which alcohol enters the bloodstream

e) About 20 minutes after the last drink, the BAC starts to fall. Some alcohol is lost through the lungs, some in the urine, but most is removed by the liver as the blood circulates through it. As a rough guide, it takes one hour to remove one unit of alcohol from the body. There is no way of speeding up this process.

f) There is no simple way of knowing how much an individual can drink and stay within the legal limits for driving, or of knowing how the same amount of alcohol will affect different people. Those selling alcohol, however, should be able to recognise the signs of increasing intoxicationm progressing through initial cheerfulness and increased talkativeness to slurred speech, aggressiveness or over-sentimentality.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Large One said:
One unit of alcohol takes roughly one hour to clear the system. So one bottle of beer (say 5% abv), and two halves of 5% abv beer would take about four and a half hours to clear completely from the system.

To quote from the BIIAB handbook...

17.10 Alcohol in the body

a) When drunk, alcohol is absorbed into the blood and reaches all parts of the body. A person becomes drunk because he drinks alcohol faster than his body can eliminate it, to a point where it affects his body.

b) The effect drinking has on an individual depends on how much alcohol is in the bloodstream at any given time, in other words, the blood alcohol concentration (BAC).

c) BAC is measured in milligrams (mg) of alcohol in millilitres (ml) of blood. A BAC of 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood is the level above which it is an offence to drive. This measurement has an equivalent in terms of micrograms in ml of breath (35 micrograms in 100ml of breath). This can be measured using a breathalyser.

d) On taking drinks, the amount of alcohol which gets into the bloodstream and the speed with which it does depends on factors such as:

Quantity - how many drinks a person consumes and how strong the drinks are

The size of a person - A small person has less blood than a large one, therefore the same amount will produce a higher BAC in small person than a larger person.

Sex - The same amount of alcohol will produce a higher BAC in women than me

Food eaten - The presence of food in the stomach slows down the rate at which alcohol enters the bloodstream

e) About 20 minutes after the last drink, the BAC starts to fall. Some alcohol is lost through the lungs, some in the urine, but most is removed by the liver as the blood circulates through it. As a rough guide, it takes one hour to remove one unit of alcohol from the body. There is no way of speeding up this process.

f) There is no simple way of knowing how much an individual can drink and stay within the legal limits for driving, or of knowing how the same amount of alcohol will affect different people. Those selling alcohol, however, should be able to recognise the signs of increasing intoxicationm progressing through initial cheerfulness and increased talkativeness to slurred speech, aggressiveness or over-sentimentality.

Indeed.

Of course, if you really want to be pedantic, you also have to factor into the calculations the fact that the quoted %ABV in beer is only an approximation anyway, and can and does vary from one batch of beer to the next. That's especially true the more artisanal and less industrial the beer is... So in most beers, "5% ABV" actually means: "we aim to get it around 5% and it's 'probably' in that ball-park - probably."

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Man of Harveys said:
Isn't that just the best post on here, like, EVER? Only thing is that I can't exactly leave the office in this state of tumescence. It could be a long night.

Did you get home with the masses on the buses? I hope so - I've known people sacked for sleeping under their desks!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
Did you get home with the masses on the buses? I hope so - I've known people sacked for sleeping under their desks!!
I...I'm still here....*yawns* *looks down* *impresses self* *feels keyboard imprint on forehead*

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Man of Harveys said:
I...I'm still here....*yawns* *looks down* *impresses self* *feels keyboard imprint on forehead*

Oh well - at least you still don't have a pink shirt on :lol: and you'll be able to drive home tonight at this rate :cool:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The law says "Don't drink and drive"Thats your answer

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
algie said:
The law says "Don't drink and drive"Thats your answer
Gullsworth said:
Better safe than sorry mate.................dont do it, not worth it.
brighton rock said:
You're all 100% right and I hasten to add that in the end I didn't either - I sat at home drinking wine instead.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Franks Wild Years said:
Don't forget it's Friday MOH. If you don't leave today you'll be locked in all weekend, and that poo you did in your waste paper bin is attracting flies.

Especially since its a beer poo!! ewwwwwwwwwww :lol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
tedebear said:
Stop being so serious - I'm trying to be funny here - and you're NOT helping :lol:

I was talking to MOH.Don't be so jumpy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here