Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I a firework killjoy...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I really think that firework use should be restricted to liscenced firework displays. When in soton during 5/11 last year, kids were throwing fireworks at eachother - it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree and thats exactly what happens in Australia. All big displays organized by professional license holders. More fun to be honest as we all go out en masse instead of standing in our own backyard watching others people burn money....

Guy Fawkes above is wrong, it is human nature that people will do stupid things with fireworks especially when alcohol is also involved, people in the minority will spoil it for people in the majority and it'll be banned, sooner rather than later please...

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Can't stand em, but then I am biassed having a 2 year old asleep and a cat with idiots gawping at lights in the sky.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why is your cat with idiots?

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Some people are ridiculous, you can't ban everything just because there is an element of risk, or because a minority act innapropriately.

Fireworks are a great tradition and to ban them would be ridiculous, I'd rather a few accidents a year, than living in a plastic bubble, the government protecting me from every risk imaginable.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why does this country celebrate the failed gunpowder plot on the Houses of Parliment ? The 2nd plot to blow up buses and tube trains in London was also foiled a couple of years ago but we dont celebrate that by blowing up buses and tube trains every year in july do we :angry:

How is the failed London bombings anything like a plot to completely destroy the acting Government of the country and the then King, during the opening of Parliament?

It is believed that the Pope at the time and the Spanish were also involved in the plot, and if successfull that they would then have invaded, and we would have ended up being run by Spain, remember this was only 17 years after the Spanish armada. The king of Spain and the conspirators were Catholic, and most of the MP's and our King were Protestant, a feud that had been on going for some time.

After the failure of the plot, the King past a law which made it illegal not to celebrate the failure of the plot, and many places then held their own events and bonfires to celebrate it's failure.

Many communities, were also affected by this ongoing feud, for example, Catholics burning protestant martyrs at the stake for example:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Marian martyrs were Protestants executed for their beliefs during the reign of Mary I of England. Mary was keen to return England to Roman Catholicism, but many Protestants would rather die than change their beliefs. Bishop Bonner, the Bishop of London, was nicknamed '"Bloody Bonner"' for his involvement in the persecution.

In Lewes, for instance, 17 protestant martyrs were burned alive in the 1550's, so in conjunction with the failed plot, anti-Catholic feelings ran very high, meaning that the celebration of the plots failure continued until this day.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Some people are ridiculous, you can't ban everything just because there is an element of risk, or because a minority act innapropriately.

Fireworks are a great tradition and to ban them would be ridiculous, I'd rather a few accidents a year, than living in a plastic bubble, the government protecting me from every risk imaginable.

Well said

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Around where I live there's not that many houses but it's like Armageddon as everybody seems to have a firework party. They started last weekend, were on Friday, last night and then again tonight and also next weekend. Apart from spooking the dogs there are plenty of other dogs, cats and above all horses all of which have a rough time. Not so much a kill joy just wish that Guy Fawkes night was restricted to one day.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Around where I live there's not that many houses but it's like Armageddon as everybody seems to have a firework party. They started last weekend, were on Friday, last night and then again tonight and also next weekend. Apart from spooking the dogs there are plenty of other dogs, cats and above all horses all of which have a rough time. Not so much a kill joy just wish that Guy Fawkes night was restricted to one day.

So what do we do? ban anything that makes any noise? - what if there is a thunder storm, animals may get scared then aswell, maybe there needs to be a way to stop these!
What about those idiots making lots of noise by driving around, Stereos blaring, screaching their tyres, revving up their engines, and it's all year round, where is the moaning about them? or what about th epeople falling out of pubs and clubs, making more noise than any shop brought fireworks do, and again it's all year round.

If animals can get over being scared, which they do like humans do, then what is the problem with people watching a few fireworks? - To me it's just a case of overkill reaction to other people enjoying themselves, maybe because you didn't get invited?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So what do we do? ban anything that makes any noise? - what if there is a thunder storm, animals may get scared then aswell, maybe there needs to be a way to stop these!
What about those idiots making lots of noise by driving around, Stereos blaring, screaching their tyres, revving up their engines, and it's all year round, where is the moaning about them? or what about th epeople falling out of pubs and clubs, making more noise than any shop brought fireworks do, and again it's all year round.

If animals can get over being scared, which they do like humans do, then what is the problem with people watching a few fireworks? - To me it's just a case of overkill reaction to other people enjoying themselves, maybe because you didn't get invited?

All I said was why can't it be restricted to one day ? The fact that any moron can buy something very dangerous if not carefully used is another matter but I doubt whether you've even considered that. Why is there any need to 'celebrate' this less than vital piece of old English history anyway ? Why not have fireworks on VE Day or VJ day ? The plain fact is that the horses in particular can get injured badly when spooked. I walked the dogs today and was quite shocked at just how many spent rockets were lying in the road. Of course there is also the matter of damage caused but irresponsible use too. Fireworks at organised displays are one thing, selling them to often stupid people is another matter though.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
We had a little display on the beach friday night- great fun......

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Youre not a killjoy, I know what you mean.

I really think that firework use should be restricted to liscenced firework displays. When in soton during 5/11 last year, kids were throwing fireworks at eachother - it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I was at an organised display yesterday and someone still got hit and injured by a rocket. Mind you they were trying to watch it for free from outside when it was in aid of charity so it serves them right I suppose. Wrath of god and all that :)

How is the failed London bombings anything like a plot to completely destroy the acting Government of the country and the then King, during the opening of Parliament?

It is believed that the Pope at the time and the Spanish were also involved in the plot, and if successfull that they would then have invaded, and we would have ended up being run by Spain, remember this was only 17 years after the Spanish armada. The king of Spain and the conspirators were Catholic, and most of the MP's and our King were Protestant, a feud that had been on going for some time.

After the failure of the plot, the King past a law which made it illegal not to celebrate the failure of the plot, and many places then held their own events and bonfires to celebrate it's failure.
That's one version of the story.

The alternative version is that King James I (whose father and mother had been murdered by protestants, not catholics) was looking for an excuse to set his Scottish henchmen loose in England, confiscating lands and wealth that didn't belong to them. What better source of wealth than the property of cathoics?

Whipping up a fury of anti-catholic feeling was by far the most efficient way to ensure that the population at large would tolerate the state terrorism that lay at the heart of James's plan. There never was a foreign plot, led by the King of Spain (or the Pope), but hey! that didn't matter if the gunpowder plot could be used as an excuse to persecute catholics for the next 200 years.

As I say ... there are alternative versions of history floating around.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
One of my neighbours is letting off fireworks as I type this, doubt if they can see them though as there is a real pea-souper fog...think Brighton on Millennium eve and reduce the visibility a little.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I was at an organised display yesterday and someone still got hit and injured by a rocket. Mind you they were trying to watch it for free from outside when it was in aid of charity so it serves them right I suppose. Wrath of god and all that :)

I believe that's called justice :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here