Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Live life as one big joke when it comes to making light of bad things. Gervais explains the getting offended on behalf of the subject of a joke, rather than the joke itself thing very well...!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Fascinating thread. I'm a local authority employee, and receive what could be construed as offensive or abusive comments on a regular basis (especially now with social media - I've come to realise how well moderated NSC is). Directly related to this thread, my favourite letter was from someone who described me as 'Two goose-steps to the right of Hitler'. I cannot honestly say I took offence, or was upset - and indeed, as I was enforcing public rights I took it then, and still do, as a sort of badge of honour! I suppose much of it is in the resilience of the recipient.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Stewart Lee probably is somewhere half right...

Let’s not forget the Express and Mail we’re OUTRAGED at this part of his act. :lolol:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I was going to point out that all we have is the OP's assertion it was a quip and that it was "somewhat tongue in cheek", and a few people seem to take that as a sign it was a, ahem, clear and obvious joke. But we also have a the OP talking about the "adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility" suggesting the interaction was a little irritating, and perhaps this 'quip' was delivered with a harry hill-like jovial glee, or a giggling 'I'm being so funny I can't stop laughing at my own jokes' way akin to Jimmy Fallon. Seems to me, it is more likely the 'quip' was a frustrated sarcastic aside that came at the end of a less-than-friendly exchange, making it far from obvious it was 'just a joke' (especially as it is described as a 'quip' rather than a 'joke').

But rather than trying to second guess the delivery and obviousness of the joking, I think this comment is more relevant.
Since her line manager has obviously listened to the call and agrees it should back this up. What he isnt appreciating is that back in his day she could give a dig back at him but she is bound to strict rules of what she can say so it runs both ways dont treat people who have to take these calls like punchbags.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It’s a nothing comment and come across 10 times worse than that daily - Which I still personally don’t find offensive. I really don’t get this PC gone lad stance by some. People need to find their sense of humours again...

Now, is my ‘I think Jimmy Saville isn’t 100% guilty cos he’s not here to defend himself’ quip too much? :lol:
* I will add this may come across wrong on the internet - but you do have to choose your audience well with these sorts of things - ie not the easily offended.

I’ll also point out NSC isn’t the place to ask these questions Harty as it’s easy to take the moral high ground on the internet, when in reality, spend an hour in a pub and you’ll hear far more potentially ‘offensive’ stuff...!

I genuinely wonder if anyone who actually finds this offensive has ever been to any sort of stand up comedy?! They’re either ultra sensitive or are lying to themselves and trying to act holier than thou. You will find jokes so so so much worse than that quip at most stand up shows!

I don’t personally find his comments offensive, but I think it’s just a case of playing to your audience.

I’m in a couple of group chats that cross the line of bad taste constantly. I couldn’t even begin to list some of the horrendous shit that has been sent in there; but I can safely say that there’s stuff in there daily that would offend most people. There’s jokes I can get away with making in there that would probably get me banned on here or knocked out if said to the wrong person in real life.

Is making a joke about the nazis that bad? No, not really. But saying it to someone you don’t know whilst they’re at work is asking for trouble. We’ve all probably said worse, just we have the good sense to do it down the boozer or around mates.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t personally find his comments offensive, but I think it’s just a case of playing to your audience.

I’m in a couple of group chats that cross the line of bad taste constantly. I couldn’t even begin to list some of the horrendous shit that has been sent in there; but I can safely say that there’s stuff in there daily that would offend most people. There’s jokes I can get away with making in there that would probably get me banned on here or knocked out if said to the wrong person in real life.

Is making a joke about the nazis that bad? No, not really. But saying it to someone you don’t know whilst they’re at work is asking for trouble. We’ve all probably said worse, just we have the good sense to do it down the boozer or around mates.

Great post matey - and yes that’s what I was getting at. We all adapt in life and work is where you have to be quite careful. Although I took no offence to a colleague saying I looked like a sex offender the other day when I had my glasses and beany hat on - thought it was hilarious tbh :lol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.

She found this analogy, in her words, extremely offensive, and I have received an official communication from her line manager reiterating this fact.

It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Basically we stopped them delaying a funeral because of some nit picking, and ultimately the families we look after are the ones paying the bill, both mine and that of the crematorium.

mate.....!! just like our school reunion at the R&C.....we were in the "beer garden" and the table was absolutely crammed with empties , someone went inside and asked for the table to be cleared before the inevitable breakages started ....out wobbles some 20 something bint to do the deed..." wooh hoo, the stripper's here i say " .......well , honestly talk about faux offence and i was like " are you for real...?" and she was , my god get a bloody grip , so no in my opinion you ain't a dinosaur but we have a young generation of easily offended melts who will hark up at the slightest chance.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Nope I’ve tried and I can’t see the offence in that and I’m 30, so maybe just abit to old?

It’s a word, you used it to make a point that although probably wasn’t necessary, in my mind isn’t offensive.

The point was about following orders, not murdering millions.

To me words in their own right are not offensive, it’s the context they’re used in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
mate.....!! just like our school reunion at the R&C.....we were in the "beer garden" and the table was absolutely crammed with empties , someone went inside and asked for the table to be cleared before the inevitable breakages started ....out wobbles some 20 something bint to do the deed..." wooh hoo, the stripper's here i say " .......well , honestly talk about faux offence and i was like " are you for real...?" and she was , my god get a bloody grip , so no in my opinion you ain't a dinosaur but we have a young generation of easily offended melts who will hark up at the slightest chance.

ffs :lol: :lol:

Self-awareness ain't one of your strong points is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You shouldn’t confuse rolled-eyes and a look of pity with offence. They’re two different things.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I know plenty of 'bints' from my youth who would have told you to get ****ed. So I am not sure this is a generation thing more a shit joke/comment thing :lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So rather than 1 or 2 of you just take the empties out, one of you goes in, requests someone gets them, then when they do you call them a stripper for a cheap laugh at their expense.

You’re probably right, it’s not being offensive, it’s just being a :tosser:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

So you ask a member of staff to come and clear up your table, member of staff duly arrives to do your bidding, and all you can do is belittle them with the tired old wayhay here comes the stripper routine. Jeez! What a bunch of BOGANs :moo:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for your input Gents.

For the record, at 55 I'm clearly a dinosaur and out of touch, I apologised to the young lady, both in person and by email immediately after her line manager contacted me, ultimately I shouldn't have said what I said then again they were trying to postpone a funeral on some ludicrous pretext, and those are the people I will always put first.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for your input Gents.

For the record, at 55 I'm clearly a dinosaur and out of touch, I apologised to the young lady, both in person and by email immediately after her line manager contacted me, ultimately I shouldn't have said what I said then again they were trying to postpone a funeral on some ludicrous pretext, and those are the people I will always put first.

To be fair, you can't be that out of touch given the apology and insight. Fair play to you that despite the pretext that must have been frustrating, you apologised and ended the matter on your own terms. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here